“Great value and great staff”

Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Great value and great staff”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed here prior to a Cruise and I have to say were pleasantly surprised.
It is the first time staying in a Premier Inn and we were recommended this hotel from some friends that had stayed here a few months ago.
It have everything we could need, the room was great and very clean. In is looking a little tired in places, particularly the corridors, but the room was lovely.
The restaurant on the 6th floor was also very nice, it had a great menu and the team really went out of their way and looked after us.
A fabulous stay and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dianamarkey12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Had a wonderful stay in this hotel whilst visiting family in Southampton.
We originally phoned to make a reservation but were informed that it might by slightly cheaper in the internet. Not just slightly! £61 we were quoted when we phoned, but on the internet we got a room for £29. Also we opted for their meal deal at £22 for our evening meal and breakfast, so a real bargain of £52 for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast!
The staff were very friendly at both the reception and the restaurant on the 5th floor.
The room was great, fully air-conditioned, flat screen TV, was modern feeling and very clean.
The only down side was the car-parking at this hotel. We managed to get the last space at 5pm!
Oh and also the parking charge was £5, not something you would expect when you are staying in the hotel and considering how much of a bargain the rest was, this was an unexpected cost.
All in all a wonderful stay and we will return, but look out for the offers and don’t just phone and book!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LindaWright1969
Cambridge
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I arrived quite late in the evening (hotel had been booked by my office) to a completely rammed car park. On asking reception I was told the nearest car park was 5 minutes away...which when directions were given didnt sound particularly reassuring for a single female at 11pm involving subways etc to get back to the hotel.
I was so concerned I asked for details on alternative hotels to which I think 'the manager' intervened and gave me his parking spot (as he was leaving). The chap on reception then made some remark about him leaving which seemed quite unprofessional (it was not a positive comment).
I went to the bar to get a drink to take to my room-it was disgusting. There were tables with old food, plates etc on some even with highchairs around-bearing in mind it was 11pm how long had this been sitting there? The only person serving was a trainee who seemed to have been totally abandoned hence with only 3 people waiting it took 15 minutes to get a drink.
The next morning I asked housekeeping for an iron, they told me to call reception. I did so, but 20 minutes later, no iron so I gave up.
The breakfast staff were as enthusiastic as the evening staff...yes I am being sarcastic. I waited at the entrance, was looked at by staff who then turned in the opposite direction and left me standing there. 5 minutes later I walked in, got a coffee and on leaving was promptly told I should have waited to be seated??!!!!
On handing my keys in I was asked how my stay was...I didnt let rip but did say I wouldnt be back. The receptionist empathised and commented I was not the only person to have had issues.
I stay away frequently and often in Premier Inns, this, by a long way has been the worst experience.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank TheClanster
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stay ata lot of Premier Inns they give good vaule and if you ave any issues they are sorted

they is nothing wrong with this hotel , the staff are helpful, the rooms clean and in good order , the food was nice .

But

the hotel is built above the main London to South West railway line
every train thats both passagnger and goods train goes passed yur bedroom window
every couple of mins ,hour after hour
one night and I was done for

Room Tip: avod rooms at the back of hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Timmyshoes
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed at the hotel for one night before boarding our ship to go home to the US. This is a very good hotel for all of the above reasons.

Looking at a map you will see it is by train tracks, the sound proofing in the hotel is excellent. You don't hear the trains any more than normal city traffic. If it concerns you, ask for a room at the front.

It is within a mile of the Coach station, a little up hill. If you have heavy luggage it is best to take a taxi.

We were able to walk to town to shop for items before the cruise. There was a street fair the day we left. I love fresh cut flowers for the cabin, a local vendor had a beautiful selection at a great price. The stores are modern with good clothing lines, anything you need is available.

Having a comfortable place to stay makes all the difference. =0)

Room Tip: I joined the Premier website to receive specials!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cruisinlivin
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We had previously stayed at this property and were well satisfied. This trip we were coming off a Trans Atlantic cruise and wanted to visit Southampton and the Isle of Wight ;which was terrific. We reserved two nights. Check in was professional and the room fine. There is a rail line behind the hotel, but double windows handle the sounds quite well. Dinner using the hotels meal plan was very good and includes a choice of wine, beer or soft drinks.
At about 12:30 AM we went to sleep. We were awakened @2AM by a very noisy wedding party for 2 hours. The next morning the Manager asked if we were having a pleasant stay. I let him know of the issue and without my asking he immediately removed the room charges for the previous night. The second night was as nice as the lovely spring weather. Well Done Premier Inn.

We later found out that the hotel and restaurant staff spent three hours trying to get the small group of wedding guests that had turned into 40-50 hooligans to quiet down and leave.

Room Tip: Get and upper room on the road side.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank midmac5
Hampshire
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Thought I would try another brand hotel in Southampton for my trips.. right next to the main road junctions 5 way lights. Noisy Noisy and Noisy. I just managed to get a car park space I hoped my car would still be there in the morning. Have no idea where I would have parked if I couldn't have got a space not a nice part of town so I understand. Judging by the ladies standing out side it really is an interesting part of town!!
Room was ok I have to say but the rest of the hotel where you walk looked tired and bashed. Well I tried it but can't say I am going to ever stay again sticking to the Express by Hoilday inn up the road with decent worry free parking.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business