“Southampton”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Southampton”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Excellent service room really clean and spacious. Staff very welcoming and helpfull. Food execellent value for money and so were the drinks. A great place to stay close to the shops and pubs. Room rate super! I will be re booking soon..........

Room Tip: super value for money an all rounder :-)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed with my husband and little girl who was two at the time. Easy check in, however did have to pay for the overnight parking as the car park did not belong to the hotel, despite in the hotel grounds, think it was £5 which wasn't too bad. Room nice clean and spacey as generally Premier rooms are. We ate in the restaurant, good service but not great quality food edible but not brilliant, however breakfast was lovely. Only one issue is that the toilets do not offer a baby change unit, despite the staff all thinking was one in the disables toilet. We checked female, males and disabled toilet none had this facility, meaning we had to go back down 3 floors to change our little girls nappy. Not really ideal. Other than that all was Ok and we would stay again. Good location if using as a stay over for the Isle of Wight Red Tunnel Ferry, port was a 5 min drive from hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bubbstervj
coventry
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one night earlier this week as she had an interview at southampton solent University which is virtually opposite it. Neither of us had stayed at a Premier Inn before but I had read reviews and been told by a colleague that Premier Inns were generally good. We had a little trouble finding it from the station but that was our fault for not downloading the map. Our room was on the fifth floor and had good views over the city. I liked the fact that the lift and corridors could be accessed only by using our room key. It just made us feel that little bit more secure.
I was a little worried that being on the same floor as the restaurant would mean a bit of noise but we never heard a thing all night. There was none of the usual door banging or talking in the corridors that are a usual part of a hotel stay. We didn't hear the maids starting work either.
We had dinner in the restaurant. The service was friendly and helpful without being overbearing. We are both vegetarian and there was a fairly good choice for us. the food was OK. It wasn't the best meal I've had but the portions were good and it was well presented. I had soup and there was an unusually generous chunk of bread with it. We both had the tasting plate of desserts. Be warned - they give you a large piece of each of the chosen desserts. we could not finish ours. We felt we could have shared one.
breakfast the next morning was good with a wide choice of food to suit all appetites. I was impressed that they offer vegetarian sausages because this is still fairly rare in my experience.
I liked the costa coffee machine in the lobby. It was £2 for a medium americano.and easy to use. There were the usual supplies of tea and coffee in the room as well. When my daughter asked for a few top up supplies she was given a generous assortment.
we had a twin room. My daughter took over the double bed and I slept on the single sofa bed. We both had a good night's sleep and thought the choice of pillows was a nice touch.Both of us thought the room was very clean and well maintained. All the communal areas were equally clean and the restaurant was nicely decorated.

All staff members we met were very friendly and cheerful. The waiting staff were very efficient although they were quite busy and the recption staff were very welcoming. Indeed, the entire staff seemed to have a much better attitude than some I have encountered at much more upmarket hotels.

The car park at the hotel is quite small so if travelling by car you may not be able to get in at busy periods. we went by train so it didn't concern us of course. The railway actually passes quite close to the hotel but I only found that out when I happened to look out the window and see a freight train go by. The windows certainly seem to keep out the noise.

When we left we both said we wished we had booked a second night. we would certainly go there again. I would recommend it to anyone who needs to stay a night or two for visiting friends, business or whatever. If my daughter elects to go to university in southampton I can see my hsuband and I spending a few nights at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed here for a night whilst visiting friends in Southampton recently. I guess there's not much to say except that it's a Premier Inn. If you've stayed in a Premier Inn before, you'll know what to expect. Helpful staff, clean rooms, an excellent bed and good sleep quality. Although I didn't visit it the restaurant/bar here is on the fifth floor and offers views over one of the Southampton parks. One additional comment I would add is that I was not very well on the morning of my check-out but the staff were helpful and were able to extend the stay in the room until later for any additional fee without having to pay for a whole night until I was well enough to travel home.

Will stay here again when in Southampton.

Room Tip: For late bookings, use the website and select the non-refundable/non-amendable option for a £5 disco...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Chose this hotel for its value and proximity to the city center. A bit of a hike from the bus station, but not too bad. I was very pleased with the room quality, the restaurant/bar, and the customer service. They serve a nice latte, tea, soup, and breakfast in the restaurant (although it is very crowded at the peak hours). Nice hotel for the price!

Room Tip: Choose the back of the hotel, away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank drjohnd
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here on my own in mid-February 2012 to visit my son who is at university in Southampton. I booked a meal deal arrangement whereby you get breakfast and dinner included; total cost was around £88. The hotel is located right in the city center, very near to Southampton Solent University, the football ground and the main shops. The directions to the hotel were clear and straightforward and obviously written by someone geographically literate [becoming a rarity these days]. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the young lady who booked me in [Sally] was a model of pleasant professionalism and quiet efficiency. Parking my car was easy as there is an on-site car-park [which is, admittedly quite small; it may get full at busy periods] which cost £4 for 24 hours. The room was immaculately presented and the decor modern and well-finished. The dining room is on the 5th floor, is tastefully decorated and affords a good view out over the city. The 3-course evening meal was very good value with a wide range of choices [I had a steak, my son had the lasagne] and the food well-cooked and presented. The table service was efficient without being rushed and helpful without being intrusive. The bed was large and quite firm and facilitated a good night's sleep - no noise from other rooms or other extraneous sounds such as taps, pipework etc which so often plague hotels.
In the morning the breakfast was unlimited and serve yourself [no hanging around for waiters] with everything you could wish for: cereal, fruit, fruit juices, coffee, tea, a good range of English breakfast items like bacon, sausage, egg etc, bread [wholemeal or white] a do-it-yourself toaster and a good selection of preserves. Breakfast runs 'til 11am on Sunday so no rushing around.
Checkout was a very civilized 12 noon which meant I could have a nice slow start before travelling back home to Devon.
I can't comment on some of the other, negative reviews obviously, but I have stayed in many different hotels and other holiday accommodation and I have pretty high standards as you might discern if you read some of my other reviews. If I think anything is wrong with a hotel I say so very bluntly. I honestly could not find anything negative to say about this hotel: it was reasonably priced for what you got, modern, clean, efficient and friendly and quiet at night. What more do you want? This is the first time I have stayed in a Premier Inn in a very long time but when I come back to Southampton I shall definitely endeavor to return here.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank paddleboarder
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here with a friend on new years eve as they were doing saver rate rooms for £39!! Couldn't believe how cheap it was as firstly it was a Saturday night, and new years eve! Don't usually get a room that cheap, especially it being in a central location too. Another thing that was good about this hotel was that it had on-site parking (again don't often get this with city centre hotels!) and it was only £4 for 24 hours. Only slight downfall though was that it isn't the biggest car park, so make sure you arrive early to get a space! Think we arrived at about 3.30pm and there were about 5 spaces left. Check in process was quick and efficient, the girl who checked us in was friendly and chatty. Was very pleased to see that they had a costa coffee machine at reception, which came in very useful for the next morning! The rooms were nice and clean, and the beds as comfy as ever. We had a twin room which meant we still had the huge king sized bed that you get in other rooms, as well as a single bed. They really are one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept on! (Have stayed in more expensive hotels and still think premier inn beds are better!) The bathroom was nice and clean, and came supplied with imperial leather shower gel. The only slight downfall I'd say was the lighting in the bedroom. It needed another main light on the ceiling as it was very dark near the door area. Unfortunately cannot comment on the food as we did not eat there. Overall though, would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who stays in budget hotels. Brilliant location (5-10 min walk away from west quay shopping centre and restaurants, bars etc) and very good value for money! Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed December 2011