“First time in a holiday inn express but never again”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton West
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“First time in a holiday inn express but never again”
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

After staying at normal holiday inns thought the express may have been a similar standard. The room was cold with only an electric heater on the wall to heat a large room although the room was clean
My main area of concern was the food breakfast was unapetising with the only hot choice being beans scrambled egg and sausage and the evening meals were to bland and you may has well have seved yourself and you had to fetch you're own cutlery and the wait for the food was well over half an hour.
Sorry holiday inn but if this is the express standard then never again

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Johnjy
Jonathan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. Our complimentary hot breakfast contains of three hot items that you mentioned scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans as well as
-Warm pastries Pain au raisin and Croissant
-Range of plain and fruit yoghurts
-Wide selection of cereals including high fibre/low calorie cereals
-Choice of fresh fruits
-White and brown sliced bread and crusty bread rolls
-Orange and apple juice
-Fresh coffee including espresso and cappuccino
-Black and herbal teas
-Hot chocolate.
Once again, I would like to sincerely apologise that you did not enjoy our breakfast selection.

Moez Romdhani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Bath
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here after visiting Peppa Pig World which was ideally located. I was a bit disappointed with the room; I asked for a family room as I had booked for myself, 1 child and 2 infants, it was very lucky 1 dropped out as we were given 1 double bed and 1 sofa bed, i was hoping we'd have a couple of single beds as 2 on the sofa bed would have been a bit of a squash!

I slept on the sofa bed as there's no way the kids would have slept on this without waking each other up from the squeaky noise everytime you moved and the mattress was pretty lumpy! But I didnt mind it and was soon forgotten after the fabulous breakfast buffet and because of the breakfast which we all thoroughly enjoyed, I will definitely be returning! :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Jonathan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for posting a review of our property. I’m sorry that you expected three single beds in the room but unfortunately all our family rooms have double bed and a sofa bed.
I hope that we are able to welcome again in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Stayed there for just one night. Parking Free , overall looking fine. Check in was ok, staff on evening was kind of friendly ( with some weird things about I don`t want to get in details). Biggest issue - I asked for a wake up call at 10:00 am to don`t miss the breakfast witch is included. I asked on check in also I went down later and reminded to front desk - just in case. I did not received it. Me and my wife woke up at 11:20 am ( because late wen`t to sleep, also arrived just before midnight 1 hour) . In the morning ( well almost afternoon) when we went to check out, because check out time as always till 12:00 and I did not request for late check out, I mentioned that to a check out staff. Girl ( Amy if I remember right ) was ok, but the guy was just rude. He said '' what did You expected We are Holiday Inn Express'' This sentence just ''Killed'' me. I said that they should not then put the signs on phone '' for a wake up call please dial ''0'' '' . Guy keeped to say that they don`t feel responsible for wake up calls and that we missed breakfast. I did not argue, just asked my bill ( I have been given just slip from PDQ machine, not proper VAT invoice as it should be)
I can say NEVER EVER AGAIN we will stay there again. AVOID. That Guy just spoiled everything. It is shame hotel of IHG. Sorry other staff members , but this guy should learn costumer service manners !

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tovey M
Thank you very much for your feedback I’m deeply sorry that your stay was not an enjoyable one. I invite you to contact me directly at gm@hiexpresssouthampton.co.uk so that we may further discuss your stay with us with the aim to bringing this matter to an amicable conclusion in the main time I can assure that I will investigate this matter further.

Moez Romdhani

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Gosport
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Needed an early start for hospital. Hotel ideal location -10 mins away. Just off the M271 and well-sign-posted. Staff excellent, helpful and welcoming. Room great size clean and comfortable. Cost of room (for us £59 for the night) included breakfast and in the evening, they also serve some food from the bar at reasonable prices. Fairly close to M271 but not much traffic news from our room. Worth considering for park and cruise from the city.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tyzllmyne
Jonathan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for your amazing review.
I was pleased that you had a great stay and enjoyed the service provided by the team in particular.
You have summed up perfectly for us the location of the hotel, food reasonably charged, and a courteous staff member. I will definitely share the great feedback to the rest of the team and we will look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Hi we have just returned back from a family break to visit peppa pig world and stayed in this hotel, this is the first time I have posted on here and felt I had to after a perfect break, the hotel was spotless in every way and the staff were amazing. They could not do enough for you and any requestes were dealt with with a genuine smile, keep up the good work. You are all a credit to the hotel. Many thanks rob and family

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert B
Jonathan M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Thank you very much for your fantastic feedback and also for choosing to stay at our hotel.

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. It is great to read that your stay was enjoyable, our team were amazing and the hotel was spotless.
I will ensure your great comments will be passed on to rest of the team and we will hopefully have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future.
Hessle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Everything was clean and adequate. Good breakfast included. Bed rather soft but everything else fine. Would stay again. Check in and out were quick. Enough staff working. Free car parking but think there was a charge for Wi-Fi access.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jonathan M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review.

I’m delighted that you have taken the time to tell others about our hotel, team and service in such a positive way.
Once again, thank you for choosing and staying with us. Hopefully, we can welcome you again soon in the future.

Interim General Manager
Surrey
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed in December, prior to a visit to Peppa Pig World and Santa's Grotto. We had a lovely clean room and a bathroom with a very clever way of keeping the toilet area private. We had booked two rooms, one for myself and husband (the grandparents) and one for my daughter, her husband, her two year old and 3 month old baby. My daughter's family were running late and were unable to locate their travel cot at home, so I requested that a travel cot be put in their room ready for their arrival - which was very late! When they finally arrived, the the sofa bed had been made up for the toddler and the travel cot was in position complete with a clean sheet. We all had a good nights sleep. We enjoyed a tasty breakfast the next morning (all children were well-behaved and there was no running around), on offer were: sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans, toast with butter and various jams, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad, croissants and Danish pastries. We were also able to help ourselves to juices from the machine and to hot drinks which included excellent hot chocolate. The breakfast was very good especially as it was included in the room price. We all thought the rooms were excellent value and we will stay there again when we visit Peppa Pig World in the summer.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rozoz
Jonathan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
It is so nice to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West! The Staff here wants to make your visit as comfortable as possible and it is their hard work that ensures you will return.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I will be certain to pass along your comments to the rest of the team.
We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Southampton