“short stop”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“short stop”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Convienient for motor way access. Room was on top floor and opposite side to motorway,so was reasonably quiet. Rooms clean and twin firm beds were comfortable. Dinner ok, but expensive for what it was and a glass of wine expensive(£6 large). Included breakfast, basic but adequate with fair choices. Good for overnight stay whilst in Southamton area

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Rajat V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to post your comments following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Southampton, I was Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, Particularly Our Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Free Newspaper, Free Parking which we offer to every guest, I am Sorry that you found a 250ml Glass of Shiraz at £6 too expensive as our Prices are very competitive against our Competitors.

Rajat Verma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I'm an American Express Platinum card holder, and receive a number of benefits (such as status) relating to various hotel chains. I find these benefits to be useful, but for my last two job contracts, the nearest hotel to my place of work has been a Holiday Inn Express, i.e. a hotel outside of Amex's benefits package.

Inevitably I've stayed often enough to achieve the fairly useless IHG Gold Status. Over the last year, across my various stays, this has provided me with 10% more points, 1 chocolate "Club" biscuit, 2 free drinks, 4 priority check-ins and 5 free internet sessions. I.e. not a lot. One thing that I have received fairly regularly is a warm welcome as a Gold Member, however, I received no such welcome at the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West.

Don't get me wrong, the welcome I received was fine: very friendly, helpful and taking a genuine personal interest in me and my stay, it just missed out on recognising that here I was again, subjecting myself to another HIX. In hindsight I was not so much frustrated with my check-in as with the fact that Gold Status at IHG properties is meaningless. At the HIX in Southampton West, the Internet benefit is negated by free internet for all guests (a good thing). I assume that all of the rooms are similar, so there's no point holding out for an upgrade. The parking is free and plentiful and there's a basic, but edible FREE breakfast for everyone in the morning.

I was asked if I wanted to use the on site restaurant for my evening meal. It looked reasonably busy, but not particularly inviting. The menu was standard pub fare with slightly higher prices (albeit still reasonable). I decided to give it a miss, as I was required to specify at check-in whether I would be eating immediately or in 2 hours. Luckily I had my car with me and a fist full of Tesco vouchers, so I was set.

I had a good night's sleep. The bathroom was the HIX standard with the dual purpose bathroom/loo door. The Wi-Fi connection was strong in my first floor room, and was of a decent speed. Breakfast and check out were fine. Noise levels were ok despite a high occupancy rate. Interestingly the clientele was somewhat biased towards older guests. Maybe they were on their way to or from a cruise, or maybe they were there to enjoy the New Forest ponies, adjacent to the property?

All in all, it was a predictable and acceptable stay. I just wish that IHG Gold meant something more than the 10% extra points that I earned.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
As a IHG Rewards Gold Club Member you are one of our Loyal guest and we value it very much, It was disappointing to hear that you felt not Privileged enough at Our Hotel.

I have personally discussed your feedback with the team and went through training with newer team members.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Second time I have stayed here, rooms are typical holiday inn, well equipped, clean and roomy. Good breakfast included. Staff are very friendly and efficient. I like the free internet. This hotel will be my preferred stop over whenever I am down in this area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for providing us your valuable feedback following your stay at the holiday inn Express Southampton west. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We will look forward to welcome you once again.

Sud de la France
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights while visiting family in the area. Good idea to have a separate breakfast room for adults only as there were a lot of kids. Breakfast ok, eggs overcooked though. Twin room is actually a double bed and a bed settee. This latter isn't very comfortable. Room cleaning wasn't exceptional. When we arrived late in the evening, the baby's cot hadn't been installed (despite having phoned before to remind the hotel) but it quickly arrived. Once the baby was in the cot she was laying on the floor so we had to add pillows underneath the mattress to make it softer for her. On the whole this hotel was what I expected for the price. Appreciated large car park, free.

Room Tip: Top floor so you dont hear kids running around overhead
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

I have discussed your feedback with the Housekeeping team to ensure any future requests are addressed promptly.

penrith
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

This is a clean budget hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. But don't expect any frills. They serve breakfast included but it would be nice to get bacon with it. They only serve sausage beans and scrambled egg. Toast and cereals with fruit and juice. Tea and coffee. Lack of bacon was my only complaint.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for taking time to post your comments following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Southampton.

Free hot breakfast in our hotel has been mentioned with much positive feedback from the guests with whom we have spoken on check out. Unlike the other hotels where you will have to pay for your breakfast normally over £9.

Birmingham west midlands United kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were a party of four staying for one night per cruise sail.....we were delighted with our rooms on the first floor rooms overlooking the car park, clean and comfortable.The free breakfast was okay ( hotel was full so a little crowded ) we ate in the adult breakfast area.......wish we could review cruises on trip adviser the one we had was great.............Good hotel for a stress free start to your holiday ...

Room Tip: Busy hotel probably because good value and free breakfast.....take room on the back of property.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Rajat V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 25 October 2013

We will look forward to welcome you again.

North West
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed for business for 4 nights during September. The room itself was good but they had no hot water when we arrived (only for 1 night). The next evening we booked a table for 6.30pm and when we went to order the food we were told that there would be a 45 minute wait. I ordered the lamb shank from the specials for £12.95. When it came it was presented with mushy peas, the lamb shank was burnt to the point I couldn't put my knife in it. The food is over priced and to a very poor standard. If there was a rating for food then I would choose terrible.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear Theatrelover82,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels