“Close to the hospital” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
South Brent, United Kingdom
“Close to the hospital”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We needed some emergency accommodation at the last minute as we had a relative admitted to the ICU at Southampton Hospital. We found the room clean and tidy and the staff friendly and always willing to help and to give advice about where to eat if we did not eat at the hotel.The breakfast was fine and adequate and reading this site I find that some people are really hard to please and will moan at any thing! We will certainly recommend this Holiday Inn and if we travel to Southampton again we will certainly stay at this hotel as it is so convenient to the motorway and to the hospital.

2 Thank Ron T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

On arriving at the hotel with 2 very tired children we checked in to reception very quickly and was told where our room was, we could it quickly and got ready and came down to dinner, on going downstairs the manager on duty Greg and his team of 2 were lovely bent over backwards for us even finding me batteries for my daughters game, the menu we were annoyed with very little choice and microwave meals but pizza was spot on, although being a hotel for peppa pig which had a lot of children they don't offer a childrens menu. We waitress cleared tables she needs to wipe them as tables left dirty and back if chairs to.

Restaurant with no beer or bottled beer as they had run out which was appalling for staff who kept getting arsy customers.

Rooms comfortable and fairly clean, although sofa bed not very safe with children due to lots of sharp edges. Family room next to lift which made a droning noise every time it went up and down.

Breakfast was standard but done the job, fruit a little past best, staff what a difference rude snappy and pushed past you,

All in ok hotel for price good evening staff but beware of daytime

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Barbara R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Barbara R,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing us a candid review. It is hugely motivating that you took the time to acknowledge the efforts of the staff involved on the night of your arrival. It is unfortunate that the noise levels from the elevator and some issues over breakfast prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as this is our best resource for improvements. We look forward to serving you again in the future with a completely satisfying hotel stay experience.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was staying at this hotel as part of the Peppa Pig World Package. I arrived at the hotel which didnt really look attractive and didnt have secure parking but thought it might change my opinion once in there. Entering the room there was a disgusting smell (B.O and just a dirty smell) i immediately had to open the window so then i could here the motorway which must be meters away. I wanted to lay my son down as he was asleep and the sofa had crumbs and dirt on! I lifted back the bedsheet to then find hairs all over it!! I asked if we could transfer to the other holiday inn express in southamton where i had stayed the night before (which was lovely) to be told we were unable to do that. I called the number with the peppa pig package who were happy to give me a full refund. Luckily we found somewhere to stay that night, but had we not we would have had to drive gome which was 3 hours away. I would not let my son stay there and advise any parent to reconsider booking at this holiday inn.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Danni2912
Rajat V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking time to post your comments following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Southampton. All Family rooms are designed to accommodate two adults and two children with a double sofa bed.

We do not have air conditioning facility and we certainly don’t advertise for it and therefore our prices reflect value for money. To make our valued guest stay more comfortable we draw curtains in all the bedrooms to keep the sun away during the hot summer months and also provide a desk fan.

I have looked further into your comments and I have been informed that your booking was made via a travel agent and due to the nature of your booking it could not be transferred or cancelled.

We strive to achieve excellence however on this occasion we have not lived up to your expectations.

Regards
Rajat

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked two twin rooms here for family. We were going on a Tall Ship day sail the next day. Arrived late at night, as noted on booking form. Had pre-paid the stay to ensure that rooms were held and explained to the hotel reception what we were doing when I called them to ensure room would be held.

The first words from the man behind the desk was a demanding "what is the purpose of your visit"?" I am fairly well travelled and have stayed in lots of hotels but the tone was horrible. The hotel chain has all my details via the online account, so there should be no need to interrogate us when we stay. Letting it pass, I went up to the room and read about 24 hour food in the menu on the room table. Went down to ask what food was available (about 10:30pm ish) The curt answer was "none". We had to make do with a chocolate bar from the machine. Why advertise something that is not available?

Next morning, we tucked into the breakfast which we really enjoyed - the main eating area was over-spillingly full, but the team had opened up the conference room where we could sit and eat.

Rooms were clean and tidy and beds comfortable. Hotel seemed full but was quiet, giving a great nights sleep.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

The gesture of asking purpose of the visit was surely not aimed to interrogate your visit, however I sincerely apologise if you felt that way.

Regarding 24 hours menu, we allow cooling off period to carry out cleaning just after dinner service which finishes at 10:00pm. Once again I apologies as this has caused inconvenience to you.

Regards
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here overnight before a Cruise - hotel staff very friendly and helpful - explained where to drive car to to leave and gave good directions. Advised us about buses into Southampton as Hotel a little in the sticks, but unfortunately after we unpacked and had a drink in the bar we went to the bus stop and read that the bus didn't run on a Sunday so we had to get a Taxi (£12 there and £12 back Sunday rates) so that was an extra expense. Room very, very nice and quiet. After coming back from the Town we wanted to go into the bar for the atmosphere but it was overrun with families and children staying the night either before or after visiting Pepper Pig World - it was horrendous so to our room we retreated!! Next morning the dining area was again overrun with children and although the staff tried to. Lean up the children just ran round excited dropping food everywhere - parents should MAKE them sit to the table to learn good manners!! Very clean and comfortable rooms though.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor so no children are running round rooms above you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for providing us your valuable feedback following your stay at the holiday inn Express Southampton west. I was pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel and we delivered our Promise to be Simple Smart and Spot On.

Being close to Paultons park/Peppa pig land, we get plenty of families staying with us along with younger children hence why it gets busier during peak times. We have introduced a separate dining area for adults to ensure all guest have a happier stay with us.

Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Like many reviewers we stayed here overnight as part of a two day package to Paultons Park, mainly for my two young children to see Peppa Pig World (which they loved!). The hotel is only minutes drive from the Park, so very handy. The check-in was efficient and friendly, the room (on the ground floor) was clean, and as we had booked a triple room it had been set up with the fold out sofa bed made up as well as the normal king-size bed. OK, the room was not spacious, especially with the sofa bed folded out, but it had everything we needed (though a fridge would have been a real bonus). My kids loved the mirrors and the clever door design in the bathroom! We had a good night's sleep, no real noise disturbance at all, and all went for breakfast in the morning. I do think maybe the layout of the breakfast area could be improved, it was a bit awkward to access the hot food especially, and the scrambled egg was quite salty, but for a budget hotel it was great. All the staff were helpful and friendly, and quite honestly it exceeded my expectations. My five year old told me on the way home that the hotel was "awesome", what better recommendation could you get?!

Room Tip: room 110 was next to a linen store room, so nice and quiet!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight as a little pre-birthday treat for our daughter after taking her to Peppa pig world.

Hotel and room were very clean but we along with numerous other guests could not get into our room due to faulty door card readers, and after complaining to reception, nothing was done and I got the impression they didn't really care either.

We also asked for a cot to be in our room so to our amazement, not only did it take almost 5 minutes to get in, we were faced with a single bed for our 1 year old.

I went downstairs and explained this to the gentleman behind the desk who didn't apologise, he just said ok I will get this sorted.

To cut a long story short, me and my family came back from dinner to find the cot just dumped outside the bedroom, so after fumbling about for another 5 minutes getting into our room we obviously found that the single bed was still there.

All in all, everything bar the staff was great, even the breakfast. It is a holiday in express so it is only a small selection, but we found it to be more than adequate.

I feel the staff certainly need more training in customer services.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank NandL2011
Rajat V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton West, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I was pleased that you were happy with the cleanliness standards with inn our hotel.

I am really sorry that you found some aspects of customer service less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests,

like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve. I will look forward to welcome you once again and can assure you for a better experience.

Rajat Verma