Stayed at this hotel (booked via laterooms.com) whilst visiting friends and family in the area. Check-in was quick and polite but strangely said 'you can take breakfast up to your room' which we didn't think anything more of at that time.
The room itself was not flush but served it's purpose well and was clean. Only gripe is that the TV didn't enable you to see the 'Guide' function so you had no way of finding out what was on tv.
As the hotel is not near the centre of Southampton, I don't think it appeals to the stag/hen party market so there were no disturbances during the night.
In the morning, we went down to breakfast at approx 10am (breakfast served until 11am on a weekend) and couldn't believe how disorganised it was.
The serving area has not been well designed because the people getting their cereals, milk and toast were banging into people who were getting the very basic cooked breakfast (sausage & scrambled egg), hot drinks, fruit juices or the very dull (& cold) pastries selection.
The dining area has only 10 tables at the most therefore people wanting breakfast who couldn't find a table (either because the tables were occupied or guests' trays had not been cleared) were eating at the lower level tables which were part of the bar area.
As there were no empty trolleys to place your trays in once you had finished - the only visible one was full - the people who couldn't get a table in the dining area, left their own trays in the bar area.
The result of all of this was an obvious mess with no one attempting to clear it up because the three visible staff were busily trying to keep the serving areas tidy and stocked up - to the detriment of everywhere else. Even when we left the hotel an hour later, there were still breakfast trays left out in the bar area.
The following day, after receiving advice from reception the night before, we came down just after 8am to see the same situation unfolding again so we packed up, checked out and had a nice relaxing, full cooked breakfast at the service station just up the M27 towards the airport !!
This situation might be because it was a weekend but if a hotel chooses to have approx 150+ rooms, it needs to have the facilities to be able to cope if all the guests wanted breakfast !!
2 tips -
1) a much better breakfast is available at Rownhams service station just on the M27 after junction 3 (take the M271 from behind the hotel heading towards the M27, take the 3rd exit on the roundabout (eastbound) onto the M27 and the services will be the next sign you see)
2) for very tasty evening meals for under £10, go to the White Swan on Mansbridge Road (A27)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Express Southampton West is located off Junction 1 of the M271(off Junction 3 M27). This hotel is an ideal location for visiting Southampton, Paultons Park, Peppa Pig World, Beaulieu, The Isle of Wight, The New Forest, West Quay Shopping Centre and many attractions. The Hotel offers a continental with three hot choices buffet breakfast and free parking. Ideal for both business and leisure travel. Travelling on business the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West is a short distance from Southampton City Centre, and only 7 miles from Southampton Airport. The hotel is ideally located for companies such as Ordnance Survey (next door), Tesco, and IKEA. Southampton General Hospital is a short distance from the hotel also. The hotel is an ideal base for business travel. Looking for time to relax or a short weekend break the hotel is again an ideal choice for individuals and families. If you are taking a Cruise from Southampton stay at the hotel the night before the Cruise with packages and long stay car parking available. All Cruise Terminals are a short distance away. Why not visit the West Quay Shopping Centre, Beaulieu Motor Museum, Paultons Park, Marwell Zoo, The Ageas Bowl, Southampton University and Southamptons Annual International Boat Show. The hotel also offers 2 meeting rooms. All rooms are ensuite and with FREE WIFI. We also have accessible rooms. Why not stay in this excellent southampton hotel and ask about our low rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Southampton West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Southampton West Hotel Southampton
- Holiday Inn Southampton
- Southampton Holiday Inn