“A gluten free burger bar delight”

Chalk Valley Farm & Kitchen
Ranked #94 of 866 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Chalk Valley Farm & Kitchen is an artisan farm-to-table restaurant open for weekday brunch, lunch and dinner. Chalk Valley's menu features a variety BBQ, steaks, burgers and hot dogs, including beef, buffalo, chicken, pork, lamb and vegetarian options. The restaurant also offers organic ice cream, organic milkshakes, organic beer and wine, and child-friendly meals for the littlest of patrons. All burgers are made from native-breed animals that have been pasture raised. This system not only applies to cattle, lambs and buffalo that are entirely grass-fed but also pigs and poultry, where grass is an element of their diet. Almost all other non-meat ingredients are organic and sourced from regenerative and restorative farms and where possible local producers. All food is free from GMOs, harmful chemicals, routine antibiotics and heavy processing. The produce comes from a short and transparent supply chain and Chalk Valley chefs create great tasting food that respects the environment and the animals that are raised in it.
“A gluten free burger bar delight”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have already been to this fabulous restaurant twice and both times I have gone away very happy and very very very full up!. The restaurant is a burger bar but at the end of the day without wishing to upset fellow burger bars it deserves to be thought about as more than that. The little gem of a restaurant is welcoming, clean, bright and well organised. The staff are friendly and informative. The layout is not cramped or dingy but open and sophisticated, yet it is not patronising when throwing nutritional and ethical information at you. When ordering large menus are displayed on the wall, with smaller leaflets on hand to read also. Stalls with high breakfast style bars or tables and regular chairs are available to sit at to decide what to order and enjoy your chosen delights after. Ordering at the bar is easy and swift and the open kitchen gives me comfort knowing that you can see what is going on at all times. Remember to check the monthly deals usually made clear via the deal cube on the table. Last month I wore a sombrero hat to claim a Mexican meal deal meal. The choice is vast with lamb,beef, pork and buffalo burgers. Vegitarian burgers made with fresh ingredients instead of that pretend meat that looks so dry and uninviting are also available. I love the fact that Chalk Valley do gluten free (gf) buns too, as this really is a gift from gf bread heaven!. The gf buns are moist and well structured, not breaking up as soon as you dare to eat a bite. In fact I think a wheat and gluten eater would not be able to tell the difference. Other options are lettuce wraps, brioche buns and the average 'American style bap'. Creating your own burger is so much fun with lots of ingredients to mix and play with. I enjoyed a beef burger with salty haloumi cheese and sweet caramisied onions. It was AWESOME. Fries are generous with a chilli cheese stack tasting spicetastic!!!. Free guerkins and sauces are on hand too. Soda is refillable and gf and regular beers tasty and fairly prices. Ice cream shakes also look yummy with the salted caramel shake being on my next to try list. Are these gf also chalk valley?. Puddings are sold however on both visits I have never had room for one!, but chocolate mouse and creme brule are the sort of chilled deserts on offer. I have been told that chalk valley also often sell brownies, but they do not come in often and sell out fast. Tables are cleaned quickly and we are always thanked and wished goodbye when we leave the restaurant. Price is good, could always be a little cheaper but I totally understand why you pay for what you get and am happy to do so. If you are worried about paying more than a fiver for burger and chips this probably isn't the place for you (but you are missing out!), although I must suggest you try the lunch time meal deal first before making a decision. Would I make it third time lucky?, of course, after all on every visit you are guaranteed to be a winner. Keep it up Chalk Valley as this is just what the London Road area needed :-).

2 Thank emmaj1986

“SO much food, so much quality”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My boyfriend and I don't eat out much because we don't have loads of money to do it, that said, when we do eat out we like it to be a treat with good food that satisfies our tummies and our ethics regarding local food provision and humane treatment of the animals that feed us. Chalk Valley put a smile on our faces as soon as we arrived - the décor is fresh and engaging; boards display the local origin of all the food; the staff were keen to accommodate us - we brought our puppy and so we had to sit outside and the staff came out for our order and even refilled our soda (refills are free) so that we could remain with him and the food was AMAZEBALLS!!! We (greedily with hindsight) went for 3 sliders each (cute mini burgers), a portion of sweet potato fries and a portion of onion rings between us. The portion sizes of the sides were huge and I was glad we shared! Burger-wise we went for a buffalo burger (like beef but milder), a chalk and cheese (omg the bacon was the best we have ever tasted) and a Grazin' Amazin (lamb and raita). All were cooked perfectly - pink in the middle - and the batter on the onion rings was the best I've ever had. So if you want a place that satisfies your taste buds and leaves you with a clear conscience when you leave Chalk Valley is the place. If you want a cheap burger that fills you up at the time and then leaves you starving in an hour and food that is untraceable and leaves a 'claggy' feeling in your throat then I suggest you pop along to the royal or Scottish burger places.

• Visited July 2014
cwfbuckley, Manager at Chalk Valley Farm & Kitchen, responded to this review, 4 November 2014
Dear Emma,

So much high praise! Thank you for taking the time to boost our morale (and our egos) and hopefully the next time you are thinking of eating out you'll have us in mind.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“good value great taste”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Took my son & daughter here last sat for lunch, We had tex mex burger - excellent, chicken slider- with lettuce leaf wrap, lovely & veg burger with avocado & watercress- delicious, side order of sweet potato fries- great & beer battered pickles- I don't actually like pickles- but these were fantastic- they had a sweet/sour taste and the batter was beautifully crisp. Good value- great ethos - the apple juice was just so good, and a lovely touch- ice cold tap water offered as soon as we sat down. My son has special needs- we were treated with great kindness, and offered table service rather than going to the counter with our order

Dear Karen,

It's lovely to hear that you had such a nice time and thought so highly of the food as well as the service. Please feel free to tell your friends about us and thank you for being such kind customers.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great quality!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I've been to Chalk Valley 3 or four times since it opened.

Every time it has been great. The food is excellent - fresh juicy burgers, lovely Fries. The selection of beer is also awesome.

Keep up the good work chaps!

Dear Tommy,

Thank you for your kind words and continued custom, continue spreading the word and we'll see you again soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quality in a nutshell”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Visited Chalk Valley a few times now. There are a couple of "Gourmet" burger shops cropping up in the city but Chalk Valley stands head and shoulders above the competition.

There is a lot to be said for a food retailer who only buy locally & list their suppliers in house and shout about their green credentials in a nice way. I have had tried the beef and buffalo burgers so far and they are fantastic quality. The burgers aren't stuffed full of breadcrumbs to pack them out and have been beautifully cooked as have the skin on fries. I'm not going to pretend its the cheapest in the city, if that's what you want McDonalds is 5 minutes away but by walking there you will miss a burger you won't forget in a hurry!!!!!!

I am not a bread person but the Artisan Brioche rolls are lovely, having said that take my advice ditch the bread and have the lettuce wrap its amazing!!!

I can't rate this place enough, the food is great, it has a good temporary feel to it and the staff deliver the best service I have had in the city in a long time, without doubt.

For those of you who love exceptional service, amazing food and supporting local food production business Chalk Valley is the ONLY place to eat.

1 Thank Leanne_Newell
Dear Leanne,

Thank you very much for such a gleaming review, it's always a boost to morale to be told that we are so appreciated by our customers and that you feel our food and service warrants return visits.