“Not worth it and not what it says it is.”

Chalk Valley Farm & Kitchen
Ranked #104 of 881 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Chalk Valley Farm & Kitchen is an artisan farm-to-table restaurant open for lunch, dinner as well as weekend breakfast. Chalk Valley's menu brings together traditional British food and American style BBQ , in house dry-aged steaks and thoughtful vegetarian options. The restaurant also offers organic beer and wine, and child-friendly meals for the littlest of patrons. All dishes are made from native-breed animals that have been pasture raised. This system not only applies to cattle, that are entirely grass-fed and finished but also pigs and poultry, where grass is an element of their diet. Almost all other non-meat ingredients are organic and sourced from regenerative and restorative farms and where possible local produce. The produce comes from a short and transparent supply chain and Chalk Valley chefs create great tasting food that respects the environment and the animals that are raised in it.
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Came here with some friends after seeing the good reviews and hearing that the food was really good quality and I have to say I was seriously disappointed. Our fries were undercooked and really greasy. The onion rings were average at best. The worst thing was the "farmer's brunch" which my partner ordered. The patty was incredibly thin and didn't even cover half of the area of the bun it also didn't come with any egg! The staff when questioned just stated that that was how the pork patty is because it's a cheap cut of meat... Excellent to hear when all that is advertised around the restaurant is there excellent quality of meat and that it is only the best. This was then followed up with the comment that the size of the patty wasn't their fault as they come in like that and they don't make them in store. Again brilliant to hear when it states on their menu that all their meat is ground and prepared in house. I wouldn't eat here again. It's not worth the money you pay.

4  Thank Nevtay
cwfbuckley, Manager at Chalk Valley Farm & Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Nevtay,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to Chalk Valley. You will notice I also sent you a message regarding your recent visit - and would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your visit in person.

On the Sunday you visited, we were much busier than anticipated, which led to the kitchen team indeed running out of a few items - one of which being the organic, pasture-raised eggs which we proudly serve - we've even been given a "good egg" award by Compassion in World Farming (CIWF), such is the quality of the egg we serve.

The problem on the evening is that as a paying customer you should have been made aware when ordering that we had in fact run out of eggs and your choice of farmers’ brunch would be served without. If this had been communicated to you, you would of course been given the opportunity to order something else. This is a simple training issue, you should have been told and for this we wholeheartedly apologise.

We use rice bran oil for our fries, which is known as "heart smart" oil, it's the healthiest oil we can get our hands on. Fries should not be greasy nor undercooked, we have procedures in the kitchen which should ensure that fries are cooked as they should be - which will result in a fantastic product.

My main concern is your comments regarding the quality, honesty and integrity of Chalk Valley, I can only assume after speaking with the team that served you on Sunday that there has been some miscommunication within the conversation.

Our pork patties are made using Tamworth hogs from Bossington Estate in Hampshire; these hogs have been pasture-raised and provide some of the best quality pork you can find. We also have a CIWF award for our pigs. We use a special blend of shoulder and leg cuts to make our pork patties; nothing else is added except a little herbs and seasoning. These patties are always made in house on the premises, never brought in from third parties. All of our patties, beef, buffalo, lamb, chicken and veggie are made in house. Meat is ground daily and patties made by hand. We believe that our meat is so good we don't need to add anything to our patties, with the exception of maybe a little seasoning or herbs.

As a gesture of goodwill and In a bid to regain your confidence in chalk valley, I would encourage yourself and your party to contact me via my message to you, I would like to welcome you to revisit Chalk Valley where I will also personally show you around our kitchen, show you the mincer, and show you how we source only the best meat in the area. We have an open kitchen in Chalk valley - we have nothing to hide, and are proud of the way we are breaking barriers with regards to the way we source our meat. We have an excellent relationship with trading standards - a relationship that simply would not exist if we did not do what we say we do.

Regards

Steve

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Service and food, both great! Burger was tasted excellent. My only criticism was i found the burger a bit small compared to other places but still a great meal! I would definitely recommend it! I also like that it they do a takeaway service too.

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Really delicious burgers and fries. Grass fed beef makes all the difference. Lovely free pickles. Really nice staff made the evening perfect.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have eaten there 3 times now and keep coming back. Really tasty food and the meal deal makes it competitively priced to the alternative restaurants on the London road.
So, going along with the subject of my review, I think the food is really tasty. You have a large choice of toppings on your burger, and you get a choice of either normal chips or sweet potato chips. I haven't tried the sweet potato ones but the standard chips are some of the nicest i've tasted! Sure it's not the cheapest meal you can have, but I think it's fair as the food is superior quality.
I definitely recommend.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Without a doubt the burger I had here was the best burger I have ever had! The quality and quantity was all on point will 100% be back!