“A bit of France”

Boulangerie Victor Hugo
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Southampton
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dunfermline
“A bit of France”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I came across this Boulangerie on my way to the Red Jet ferry. I had already bought my coffee at Costa up the road. I will buy it here next time. One of the partners served me and I had a Amandine Framboise - deelicious! I ask for it to take away as I hadn't bought the coffee there and he insisted that I sat down to enjoy it in house. So I did. On the way out I purchased an ice cream and what I liked about it was it wasn't too sweet - unusual these days. I will definitely be in again. Thanks guys and I hope you settle in to your new business soon. I would definitely recommend my guests to come here when in the area. markandtill@cherrytreelodge.net

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mark B

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Not great, but the croissants are nice”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Upon arrival we weren't very impressed with the atmosphere of the place. It seemed way too big for a cafe/bakery. You can see the massive industrial-sized ovens, which to me is kind of unecessary, especially when the selection is not big enough to justify the size of them. When we got to ordering, we asked how they made the iced coffee. The girl didn't seem to understand what we were asking so asked someone else who explained. We ordered some iced coffees, a large mocha and some croissants. When they made the mocha the cup looked quite small, so after having paid for a large which was also written on the receipt, we asked if it was indeed a large. The lady swiftly said no, took it away and made a new one. Don't know if that was a genuine mistake or them trying to be sneaky. Taste-wise the coffees were ok, but the croissants were delicious even though a tad small. You can tell the food is all freshly prepared. However, I probably would only go there again if I was passing by and wanted a croissant.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Danai P
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Authentic France in Southampton”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stopped by for breakfast and having never been here thought we would give it a try. What a delight, it is run (and owned I presume) by Claudine and Dominic and is just what you will find in France. Lots of lovely pastries and croissants to start the day with. The lunch fare is visible on little strips of trays so you can see what you are going to have before it goes into the baguette, not like a British sandwich with a bit of something sticking out and nothing really there.
They will be licenced for wine etc in about three weeks, say mid July. The decor is typically Frence and very attractive.
This is on our must list for many more tries. And they must have had about twenty five choices of ice cream including pistachio!
And I should add I watched the chefs who were gently filling up the glass cases where you make your choices. As there was not a lot on view it is pretty clear thast just about everything is cooked on site and fresh, as in about a half hour at most.
Quite impressive!

• Visited July 2014
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Something different...”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

A friend of mine recommended me this place; I was very excited when we went; I must say its a different cafe, but I couldn't feel the French spirit as other reviewers said; the hot chocolate was really good, the cake and éclair weren't anything special; the atmosphere was good, but not enough to feel France close to me; the service was brilliant, the guy behind the till was very friendly and helpful; I expected more small tables with 2 chairs as in real French cafes; I found this place as a mixture of French and something north African spirit; overall it was a good experience and will recommend to my friends; we tried the cakes and might come back to try the croissants and bread;

1 Thank desito07
“A delicious experience”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I use this cafe regularly and can't find a bad word to say about it. Of particular importance is the excellent wash facilities suitable for people with physical impairments. Very impressed with this attention to detail to make all feel welcome

• Visited June 2014