“Terrible service, didn't even get as far as booking!”

City Park Guest House
Ranked #16 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Me and my Fiancee tried to book a room for a weekend we were coming to Southampton for an event. I sent a reservation request through the B&B's official website filling in my bank details etc.
I had no Email or Telephone confirmation for 24 hours so was worried that it didn't go through. I rang up and they said "We'll send you a confirmation email".
I waited another day with no luck, I rang up in the evening at a reasonable time and got told "I'm not in the office right now, can you ring back tomorrow?".
I was already fed up with the terrible unproffessional service so decided to cancel, I sent an email stating my cancellation, I also rang up and just wanted a confirmation that my money hadnt been taken and that I had cancelled. I was told that I would get an Email or Telephone call confirming the cancellation...what a surprise, nothing. After finally ringing up AGAIN the next day I was told "Well your not on the system so it must have cancelled". I explained how I made other arrangements now because I waited to long as wasnt happy and the response was just "fair enough..."
After trying AGAIN the next day I finally got told "Well you're not on the system so it must have been cancelled".
After reading other reviews on TripAdvisor I'm glad I cancelled, I didn't even get as far as booking properly, it doesnt really get worse than that.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thankyou for your review. Please accept my apologies for the mix up with your booking. As discussed in our final conversation with you, we were experiencing problems with our online booking system. Unfortuantely you did speak to 3 different members of staff, therefore the problem was not highlighted as quickly as it should have been. Because of this, we had no notification of your booking or cancellation. We cannot reply to an email that we have not received.
I am sure you would have enjoyed your stay with us, had you made a successful booking. We have over 3000 customers a year stay at our Guest House. Most people only make a review when things go wrong. But as always we welcome all feedback

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Reading the reviews for this Guest House is extremely confusing, either one star or five, have you asked friends to submit reviews Mr. Leighton?. My husband and I stayed here for one night recently and will never return. The only thing clean in the room was the bedding and when we arrived there was only one pillow, in fairness quickly rectified by the extremely pleasant and friendly receptionist. We had a bay window with two filthy broken wooden blinds on the side windows and no curtain or blind on the middle window, when we pointed this out the receptionist found an old curtain which she hung over the net curtain in the middle. The wardrobe door was cracked and broken and had a broken hinge, it could not be fully opened as it was so close to the bed. Although my husband had a bedside light there was no place to plug it in. There was no socket at the kettle so this had to be placed on the floor to be used. The toilet seat was broken and had no lid, bare lightbulb in the toilet. Toilet floor was disgusting. I have to question safety in the event of a fire, there were planks of wood on the narrow staircase and you could not open the electronic front door without a key fob as there was no release button on the inside, if there was someone at reception which could not be seen from the front door they could buzz you out. We did not stay for breakfast, I couldn't wait to leave this downmarket, depressing 'Guest House'. We paid £55, in advance unfortunately, and had stayed at the Premier Inn for £39 the week before, no guesses for where we will stay next time we're in Southampton.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

I take all your comments on board, but please do not accuse us of submitting our own reviews. There were a few bits that needed to be done in this room. All of which seemed to go at the same time.
The blind fell down over the weekend and could not be replaced. These have now been replaced with curtains. They are dust collectors I would agree. They are not ideal for their purpose. They had been replaced in all rooms, yours was the last room to be done. The wardrobe door has been replaced. Bedside lamp can be plugged in from socket on the other side of bed, and should have been. Toilet seat has been replaced. Toilet floor was not dirty, we had a leak and it has marked the flooring. I object to your comments that the room was dirty. Our cleaner is very conscientious. Her worked is checked regularly. We are always satisfied.
There is a longer lead for the kettle, for some reason this had been removed. This had now been put back in to the room.
The Door Fob system is there for your protection. In the event of a fire the door automatically releases. The wood has been removed from the stairs. It was being used for another room, but should not have been left on the stairs.
You’ve made comments to things that we could have answered, or rectified had you spoken to us, face to face. In particular the Door Fob system. We could have moved you to another room. Or given you a full refund. I am slightly baffled as to why you didn't choose the Premier Inn again in favour of us, as it was supposedly cheaper and you knew what you'd be getting.
I am trying to attached some photos to show improvements. If I can't do this via tripadvisor I will send them directly to you.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Just had 2 nights at this b & b, the double room was the size of a shoe box, carpets were dirty covered in hair and dust, furniture was cheap and falling to pieces, the reception was in the breakfast room which was full of a mish mash of old tables and chair, the breakfast was cold and we didn't feel welcome, i would have have rather been camping. Dawn

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevin1505
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

In response to your review.
When we purchased this property 10 years ago, all of the rooms had no en suite facilities. We have listened to our customers and the consensus was for the rooms to be en suite. In doing this it has made the rooms a bit smaller, we feel this compromise was worth it.
The carpet is not dirty, and I object to this. The furniture is not expensive but it all matches and is not falling to pieces.
The reception is in the breakfast lounge and I see no problem with that. We have four matching tables modern oak 1 year old with 2 different sets of chairs. This hardly constitutes a mish mash of furniture.
Your breakfast could not have been cold our breakfast is not pre cooked. Your breakfast would have been given to you freshly cooked.
I apologies if you didn't feel welcome. That would not have been our intention.
When I first read this I thought it was about another Guest house. This review is totally unfounded. We do not advertise ourselves as a 5 star hotel. We are a Clean B & B. that is exactly what you got.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

got back from somerset and needed a rest ,so i went to city park as i knew it to be park view ..glad i did go back andrew and his team have done a great job on the refurb of city park ..my one night stay and brekkie was fab ,can not ask for more from and upto date Guest House thank you .........................

Room Tip: if you want a doulble then ask to see them all if available..............
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to give us your positvie review.
It means a great deal to us.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Our workman stayed at the Parkview Guest House for a period of over 3 months. Andy and Tracey were extremely accomodating, helpful and patient with us, they had a lot of last minute changes from us and always managed to sort us out. If we are ever back in southampton working we will be back there staying for sure. I would recommend this bed and breakfast. Thanku for all your hard work :-)

Louise
Construction Interior Design Ltd

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Louise M
Reviewed 9 September 2011

we were very happy with our stay at the P,V,G,H......booked a double room, which was clean and tidy,a brill breakfast and a warm welcome,have booked for next month ,and will contiue to use this good B AND B............THANK YOU ANDY AND TEAM

Room Tip: ROOM 10 AND ROOM2....have been in both and they top my preferance.......
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The state of the room spoilt our long weekend. The room was supposed cheap at £55, but was certainly not value for money. The Premier Inn was only £10 more! The double bed was in the bay window and was draughty and there were 2 more single beds in the room. No hairdryer. The bed was extremely unncomfortable and dipped in the middle. No carpet to the floor. Towels extremely thin and no towel for bathroom floor. Bar of soap for sink but no shower gel. We were on the ground floor and windows were locked. When we lifted the blinds there were cake wrappers and crumbs from previous occupants. Also a pair of men's shoes had been left on the floor. Although a kettle and coffee sachets provided, there were no mugs on either days we stayed there. The shower had plastic flexible walls with holes around the plastic where the pipe came in. Couldn't take from breakfast room as only 5 mugs in there. Breakfast was very basic with marmalade and jam in plastic sachets, no kettle but a boiler so not a steaming hot cup to drink. No filter coffee. Bread was pre-sliced in plastic bag. English breakfast was provided but bacon was poor quality and no flavour, suspect cheap products. I asked to be moved but the other double room at the top of the house was musty and not enough room to walk around the bed. We never once felt comfortable here. Renovation is currently taking place to the basement. We were told there was parking or a permit would be supplied. No permit was offered and we had to park in front of the bay window, but this involved driving over a gap in the floor covered with wooden timber.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
andy l, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we are always pleased to hear customers reviews, good or bad. There are a few things you mention that I would agree are not acceptable, for the rest I feel you are looking for faults that are not there.
The bed area in the bay cannot be draughty as the windows are new. They were not locked and never have been.
There were 2 single beds in the room because you had the family room. As you felt the double room booked for you, was too cramp, so we moved you. The mattressess are brand new and of high quality, we have since tested mattress there is no dip. I apologise If the mattress did not suit you, but everyone has a preference. We do not supply hairdryers or irons in the rooms, but you can obtain either from reception.
Your comment regarding no carpet is rather misleading. The floor has laminate flooring.
We do not provide shower gel, we are a bed & Breakfast not a Hotel.
I can only apologies for food wrappers and a pair of shoes left behind, as I say this oversight is not acceptable. Mugs again unacceptable, but you could have asked at reception and mugs would have been provided.
There was no filtre coffee, but thats something we will look to provide in the future. The water heater works on a timer and stays at same temperature, which is working as it should be. Jams and marmalade are provided in hygenic sealed tubs, bread pre sliced, I would say these are positive comments. Our bacon is provided by a local butcher, which is of excellent quality.
Parking was provided for you, , albiet under a bay window, but that is our parking area. We are in the city centre with limited parking, which you had.
You had to drive over a safe board to park your car. Renovation work was actually being carried out in the loft. The area you had to drive over was for utility supplies, but it was completeley safe.