“Needs a good clean!!”

City Park Guest House
Ranked #16 of 44 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Dirty shower room, tatty linen, scruffy room, dirty floors, small threadbare towels. Poor service. No service at breakfast. Self service apart from asking for English breakfast, "continental buffet" = help yourself milk from fridge, cereal from plastic tubs, toast your own bread (but watch it doesn't burn because toaster is not working properly!!) - yes the sign really did say that! Dirty crockery. I could go on. What a mistake we made. Not just us, other residents at breakfast this morning agreed with us.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GuestHouse77, Owner at City Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us.
Ours room are not dirty. I believe the room you stayed in had laminate flooring which is hoovered and mopped every day. We buy new linen on a regular basis. It can't be tatty. With regard to breakfast. We offer a continental breakfast. Yes you help yourself. This is aimed more for people who are in a hurry and do not want a cooked breakfast. I don't see the problem with this. We offer a cooked breakfast, which we ask you the night before, what time you would like it. We try and cook it so that when you come down for breakfast, its more or less ready for you. We do not pre cook and we try not to make you wait too long. The toaster is new if a little temperamental. I am sorry if you feel the cutlery was dirty. Everything is cleaned in the dishwasher, I can't see how it could be dirty, maybe marked where it needed rinse aid perhaps. As always we ask our customers to come and see us if they are un happy with anything. We cannot resolve issues if we are unaware of them.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this place one day during the bank holiday weekend with my mates and have to say it's just what you need if you want somewhere cheap to stay close to everything! Staff member was helpful & friendly, slept well & freshly cooked breakfast in the morning, sorted!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Dave H

Thank you for taking the time to review our Guest House. Look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed at this guest house over the weekend with my partner and daughter. I booked the room at short notice on Friday with no problems.

I arrived with my family Saturday afternoon and shown to room 1 which was on the ground floor at the front. The room was light and airy. There were 3 single beds so I pushed two together to make a double. There was lots of coffee, tea and milk if we wanted to make it.

The bathroom looked very new and was fine for what we needed.

We all had a comfortable sleep that night, except for the noisey people outside, which is to be expected in a student city on a Saturday night.

On Sunday morning we were offered a cooked English breakfast for the adults, which was freshly done to order and my daughter had toast. Breakfast was spot on.

The guest house was ideal for our needs for the night. It's about 5 minute walk from the city centre and 2 minutes from Bedford Place for the bars.

In regards to parking, I arrived quite late in the afternoon so didn't have to worry about the time limit imposed by the council and no restrictions on a Sunday. If you are there Monday-Saturday 8am-6pm you may need to use the multi storey car park in the next road.

I would definitely return to this guest house in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here over the recent Bank Holiday. This place is comfortable and very well run. The rooms are a bit on the small side but well furnished and spotlessly clean. I found the shower room slightly too small for me, but I am over 6' and 15 stone so I suppose I take up a lot of room! The breakfast was cooked to order with plenty of choices. All in all this place is great value for money and is really close to the city centre. We were very happy with the location and the courtesy of the proprietor and his team.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our Guest House. We look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

This is a nice comfortable guest house in a great location.Friendly staff & reasonable rates. Efficiently run, it ticks all the boxes for a few days stay in Southampton. Nice breakfast. No complaints from me. Limited carparking didn't cause me a problem cos the owner found me a nice spot just outside the door. If you are not going to complain as to where sockets are located or other such minutiae, this is not for you,otherwise I would reccommend this place for those on a limited budget.

Room Tip: No comments on this
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Guest House. We appreciate it very much. Look forward to seeing you when visit Southampton again

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed in this B&B back in September 2012 for a away football weekend with a group of friends. I found the B&B online and had prompt a reply to my reservation requests and booked without hassle. The B&B was well priced at £30 per night for a single room.

The B&B is situated in a great location, just a short walk from Southampton Central train station and only a few minutes walk from Southampton's nightlife. The rooms were clean, warm and well-equiped (tea & coffee making facilities & TV). The full English breakfast was well cooked and piping hot!

Would definately stay here again whenever I am down in Southampton again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our Guest House
Look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Good price-quality ratio. Tasty and satiated breakfast. Close to the train station and the supermarket. Best for economic travelers. And it cost me only 30 GBP/night for single standard room. And only one problem was that the room was over heated by radiator, outside temp was around 8-10*C. So if you like chilly weather you may have difficulties to get asleep. Window in the room didn’t helped much =/

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business