“Great food, excellent cocktails”

Pitcher & Piano - Southampton
Ranked #220 of 909 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$0 - US$51
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Me and my partner come here often for a light snack and a bottle of wine but we have never tried a main meal or the cocktails before. I ordered the pork belly which was simply incredible. The meat was succulent and the maple sauce sweetens it perfectly. My partner had a chicken and avocado salad which she described as 'very refreshing'. We both also enjoyed a 241 cocktail on the bar. I do have to say that first impressions were questioned when the small bar tender serving us looked about 15 but can he make a cocktail!? He can indeed. We had two rhubarb, tyme and ginger martini which he had recommended. After throwing some ice around and catching it here and there we got our cocktails which looked, smelt and tasted excellent. I would certainly recommend a visit to this place. The staff are lovely, prices are reasonable and the views are perfect. Look forward to visiting again soon.

PandP-Soton-Team, General Manager at Pitcher & Piano - Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hi John,
Many thanks for your kind words - we hope to have you back in the bar soon. Kind Regards, Pitcher & Piano Southampton

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I visited the Pitcher and Piano last Saturday after deciding with some friends we would pop out for a few drinks. The first thing that struck me was the location, the marina looked amazing in the sun! We ventured in to order our first round. I really enjoyed the selection of draft beers they had, quite a few that i'd never seen before. I was slightly daunted and the bartender could see I was struggling to decide and explained to me the differences and the tastes of the different beers. With all this information it made it much easier for me to confidently try something different! Our original plan was just to pop out for a few drinks in the sun. But siting out on the terrace watching the boats time seemed to fly and soon the sun was going down and that's when the bar really came to life! I went in to order another round and was struck by how much fun the bar staff were having and how they were including the customers in all of there jokes. it really made you as the customer feel like part of the team! it was amazing, with all of this laughing and joking, how efficient the bar was. no one was waiting that long and the drinks were coming out fast but still very well made. A few of the bartenders were doing some tricks with bits of ice and lemons which was very impressive, even if a few did get dropped.
Overall from popping out just for a few midday drinks to being one of the last groups to leave at the end of the night! I would recommend this bar to anyone looking for a picturesque place to sit in the sun or a cool trendy bar to spend your weekends in. This place had something for everybody and I will definitely be returning soon!

Hi Derek,
Many thanks for your great feedback - we hope to see you again soon! Kind Regards, Pitcher & Piano Southampton.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Went to pitcher and piano for lunch with a few friends, bar staff were friendly and put a smile on your face instantly, it was a busy Friday evening but we managed to get our food fairly quickly and food wasn't that expensive either, would recommend this place to anyone.

Hi Sam, Many thanks for your lovely feedback - look forward to seeing you again soon. Pitcher & Piano Southampton.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Having looked the Pitcher and Piano up online I was extremely looking forward to visiting, however what I had hoped for did not transpire. Having ordered a glass of wine it was served to me in a tumbler glass, not what you expect, but apparently they had no other glasses left! And when I had a look at the glass, it was absolutely filthy, and I had seen the same one being used to help measure out another serving of wine previously, and then left on the beer trays. I expressed how I felt to the bar man, who then preceded to just transfer the wine from the dirty glass to a new one. Needless to say when I sat down, there was so much dirt in the new glass from the old one, the wine was completely undrinkable but I didn't feel able to be able to go back and get a new fresh one because of feeling dismissed previously when being disappointed by the fact that I had not got a wine glass and even when I said the tumbler was dirty, it seemed more my problem than there's! Such a shame.

3  Thank Jessica_W2992

Hi Jessica,
Many thanks for your feedback - I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We had an unexpected "boat party" rush before you came in the bar - 200 students all at once ordering wine! This was the reason for the lack of wine glasses, however there is no excuse for why the tumbler was dirty. Please accept my apologies on this. I hope you decide to come back and try us out again. Kind Regards, Pitcher & Piano Southampton.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the restaurant on a Friday evening at 7:30pm with a friend for a meal. When we arrived we were told that they offer two for one on cocktails until 8pm with the tempting offer offer of bogof we went for it. Ordered our spicy chicken at the same time 15 minutes later our food arrived no sign of our drinks. 10 minutes later out cocktails came out pretty poor attempt at cocktail making. The meal was basic for £10:95 over priced for the quality of food. We were charged for both cocktails so explained to the waiter that we ordered the 2 for 1 drinks he then said the cocktails we ordered weren't part of that offer!!! & refused to honour the bogof deal really disappointed with the over all service & quality of food. I would never recommend visiting this establishment.

1  Thank Simone_2984

Hi Simone, Many thanks for your feedback - I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. We should have made it clearer which cocktails were on the Two for One offer, and had we been made aware of your thoughts about the food on the night, we would have done our best to sort this out for you. I do hope you decide to try us out again, so we can show you what we can really do. Kind Regards, Pitcher & Piano Southampton.