“Small protions of overcooked food”
Review of Crown Inn Pub

Crown Inn Pub
Ranked #188 of 870 Restaurants in Southampton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I ordered the Salmon, which is one of the more expensive dishes. The portion of Salmon that made it to the table was miniscule, and the plate was instead loaded with very thickly cut cucumber (why?) and what could have been a whole tin of peas. I complained about the size of the portion, but was told that it was a standard size. I decided that perhaps I was being unfair, but realised I wasn't following my first bite. The salmon was very over cooked. It was so dry that it was near inedible. I returned the food. None of the staff came to ask how the meal could have been better, or even to offer some sort of compromise or refund. Instead, I effectively gave this bar money so that I could hungrily watch the rest of my friends eat. I will never eat here again.

1  Thank Al_in_Soton
There are newer reviews for Crown Inn Pub

Reviewed 22 March 2014

After coming to the crown a few years ago we found ourselves in the area to have some lunch.
After sharing a menu with the rest of the pub I ordered myself a burger and chips and my partner ordered a chicken burger and chips as we found the menu to be bland.
When the food came out we were both really hungry but were more amused at what we were looking at. It looked like we paid 5.95 each for a burger from Iceland and it was disgusting I couldn't even eat mine but my partner was to hungry (typical man) I would not recommend eating any of the processed Iceland burgers and maybe stick to a salad or sandwich as you will know what your getting. Shame about our recent visit as when we've been before it was value for money but next time il just pop to Iceland and make it myself from frozen.

2  Thank Thestarvingbears
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This pub has become a firm favourite with us on a Sunday night. The menu has'nt changed for as long as we have known it, though there is the odd new 'Special'.
It is a great place to meet up with friends for a cheap bite to eat, and with the bonus of a competitive and often challenging quiz. You need to book ahead on a Sun as the quiz is very popular, but any other night we have visited, it has been buzzing with a mixture of locals and students.
The staff are young, friendly and enthusiastic.
All in all, worth a visit for good pub food at very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I've been told the menu in the Crown hasn't changed in decades. I wouldn't be surprised. That's not a complaint however, as the menu has a reasonably large selection of classic pub food, served at a decent price by a normally friendly staff. It has been used as a secondary canteen for staff and students at the nearby university for years. Four real ales are on tap, normally Fullers HSB, Ringwood Best, Timothy Tailor Landlord and Fullers London Pride. Book early for tables at peak times.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is, in my opinion, the best pub in Southampton. The food is great, especially the burgers - quality meat, perfectly cooked and not to mention large - I've yet to find a pub or restaurant to beat it. This is not to mention the great price you pay for what you get. The atmosphere is great; it has a genuine pub feel and is popular with all sorts of people (and particularly students). It's also great for just sitting down with mates for a drink or two, although if you do plan on eating there, I'd book a day or two in advance, as it's become even busier than before in the last year or so.