“Exceptional”

Kachina
Ranked #153 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lunch Spot, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Karaoke
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Someone once said to me that on review sites the 5* reviews are written by the owners and the 1* by disgruntled staff.

I rarely give 5* to anything. But the Kachina deserves every one of my 5 stars and probably a few more.

I took my soon to be in laws for a meal with my soon to be wife. They all are big fans of Chinese food and so can be critical. They couldn't fault a thing.

I have been a customer of the Kachina since it opened having known the original owner. Understandably I was concerned it would change, it has in fact got even better.

The staff are very accommodating and the food is delicious, fresh and we'll flavoured. Quality and quantity meet perfectly.

I love this restaurant and will continue to wine and dine friends and family at what I believe to be the best Chinese buffet for many many miles. Exceptional.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I ordered a set menu for six people with an extra two portion of spare ribs, When I phoned through my order to be delivered the day before it was required, I specified that it was a meal for my mother's 70th birthday. I asked for it to be delivered at 6pm and agreed, a fifteen minute slot either side of this time would be ok. My order turned up at 6.30pm. Every single dish was cold/warm, the ribs were tasteless with no sauce, the shredded deep fried chicken were like bullets and in my opinion not edible. I certainly would not recommend or use this restaurant again and have been left feeling very disappointed.,

5  Thank Michelle L
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have been a number of times now and have always had a great meal whether it be from the standard menu or from the Buffet menu.

This evening we were a party of six including 2 children and 3 vegetarians. The food was great and they kept offering more starters to the point that we were pretty full before the main course arrived.

The staff were very friendly and helpful as always and were very attentive to our needs.

Great restaurant, great food and great service - what more can I say : )

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had a buffet meal last Friday which was great! We had family visiting from Norfolk. They loved the food so much last September that they requested we go back there! The staff are much more friendly than 5 years ago! At least the staff smile and are not rude like the last lot all those years ago!
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal but were too full for a main course! To top it all if you reserve the day before(not Saturday) you get second meal half price!!!! Wow that was a surprise.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I used to visit this restaurant quite frequently with friends 8-10 years ago and it was always a very good experience. The last few times I have been I have noticed changes for the worse, but the food was still good quality. Unfortunately, the quality of the food is now degrading too.

The sesame prawn toast waa completely saturated in fat (i know they are deep fried but the oil was drenching the toast)
The prawn crackers tasted of nothing other than old oil (not in the least bit prawn flavoured)
Starters were generally of poorer quality than what they used to be and the portion sizes were a lot smaller.
I drink Coca Cola and/or Pepsi on a daily bssis, so i know what "real" coke tastes like (i csb differentiate between all the varieties i drink so much kf it!) and i know for a fact the Coke served here wasn't coca cola / Pepsi.  It tasted like supermarket own brand, and it was £3.10 for a pint of what is no more than 70 odd pence from Tesco. They always used to pour "real" coke straight from 2 litre bottles, which is a bit of a cheek in itself but to do that with supermarket branded coke and charge £3.10 for a pint of it is daylight robbery! That works out at £12.40 per 2 litre bottle that costs around 70p! Come on Kachina!
The staff weren't as smartly dressed; they had shirts, ties and trousers on but they were baggy and scruffy and wore trainers.
From the moment we sat down and all the way through the evening the music kept skipping; very annoying!
The tableware (plates, bowls etc) were chipped.

As you can see, not the place it used to be (which I prefered over Pilgrim House down near Dock Gate 4). I think next time I will give Pilgrim House another try! Sorry Kachina but due to your brutal cutbacks and greed for money (can't get over the coke!); you have lost a loyal customer and I won't be recommending you anymore.

5  Thank Luke C
Zen C, Owner at Kachina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thanks for spending your time by leaving us such a long feedback here. First of all, i would like to thank you as a LOYALTY CUSTOMER which visited us 10 years ago. 50 pence for a pint of coke which you probably pay 10 years ago and stop the crap by commenting that the coke we are serving are from supermarket branded coke. We got our own soft drink supplier which delivering to us every week. Do you need me to show you the invoice? So, stop misleading other here.

Prawn toast are greasy??????????????????????? The only way you probably find the prawn toast aren't greasy which is ((((Steam the bread with a layer of prawn paste by yourself)))) Come on Mr

Staff uniform by wearing tie aren't smart????????????????????????

The only way i would suggest here, please don't go anywhere else to dine in but open yourself with a very high class restaurant as people like you with such a high class standard don't deserve to go to lower class restaurant.

Many thanks