“Fabulous Food and Service”
Review of Cantina - CLOSED

Cantina
Price range: US$25 - US$25
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: We are located very close (30 second walk) to London Road which has numerous bus routes that run directly to and from Southampton city center. Also we are only a short walk from Southamton Central station.
Description: Cantina was the city of Southampton's original Mexican restaurant. Our much loved neighborhood Cantina is a firm favourite amongst our army of loyal Amigos, for its rustic charm, freshly prepared authentic Mexican food and laid back atmosphere. Celebrating ten years of being at the heart of the Bedford Place buzzing bar and restaurant community, we've marked this milestone with a new look that is respectful to our status as a firm favourite on the local dining scene. The striking new decor, and vibrant atmosphere along with our brand new menu make Cantina one you definitely do not want to miss.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our first visit to this restaurant and we were really impressed with the warm welcome and the fast friendly service.

We were unsure of what to order but our waiter was very knowledgable!

We shared a starter of squid, it was beautifully tender, melt in the mouth. I then had a pulled port enchilada and my other half had a chicken chimichanga, both were throughly enjoyed, they came to the table beautifully presented and piping hot.

We will definately be visiting here again! My other half took advantage of the 241 cocktails and had long island ice teas, some of the best he'd had he reported back!

1  Thank Joanne C

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Found this by chance looking around Bedford Place for somewhere to eat. So glad we went almost to the bottom & found Cantina.

Friendly, helpful staff, some seriously good home made dishes (best nachos I've had in a long time & the salsa verde side was wonderful) & a generally pleasant feel to the place. Lots of young people & all seemed to be enjoying themselves (I'm getting on a bit!). Mexican music added to the ambiance. Did suggest to the waitress the beef burger could have been a bit less cooked which she pleasantly said she'd pass on.

Only had 2 nights in Southampton & really glad we found Cantina. Try it!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited this place for the second time.
The selection is not great, less then in other mexican restaurants.
Value is not the best, and drinks are certainly over priced.
There is no mexican atmosphere at all.
Quality of the food is not bad, might be ok if you don`t expect much.

Sean L, General Manager at Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hi Agota,

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate all feedback. I am sorry you did not find Cantina to be as good as we expect it to be. We feel that there is a good amount of choice in terms of food that suits all tastes. Our drinks prices also reflect standard pricing and our cocktails are actually cheaper than some of our local competitors. Our décor and music choices are designed to reflect a Mexican style but yet be contemporary. I'm sorry if the balance of how we do things at Cantina was not to you liking, I hope you consider trying us again. Thank you again for your comments.

Regards

Sean Lord

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I accept from the start that it is slightly higher priced than other Mexican restaurants around the Southampton area. The food though is lovely (all be it slightly oily). The extra price is minimal when you take into account the food you get and the quantity. The size is just right for what I wanted. 3 courses did very much feel me up without making me feel physically sick. Still my favourite Mexican restaurant in the city after being to them all (as to date).

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Been here a few times and is our favourite restaurant in Southampton. The food is amazing and the services is outstanding. Always felt welcome and looked after there. Really friendly people