“Amazing meal at Ceno”

Ceno
Ranked #14 of 846 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$15 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: CENO is a stylish and contemporary restaurant where the food comes first. Our aim is simple - to create innovative and delicious dishes that capture the imagination and tastebuds alike. To view our menus please visit our website.
“Amazing meal at Ceno”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Been meaning to go here for ages and finally made it last night. Hadn't booked a table but they squeezed us in after a short wait.

My wife had the fish and chips and said it was one of the best she'd ever had. I had one of the specials, slow cooked pork with leek and potato hash, Spanish black pudding, crackling and apple sauce. It was absolutely stunning, a huge plate of amazing tasting food. I really can't praise it enough, every part of the dish was superb.

For dessert my wife had the sticky toffee pudding and even 24 hours later is in shock at how good it was. I had the creme brûlée with fruit compote and shortbread biscuit, and as with my main I was blown away.

I'd heard good reports of Ceno but we really were hugely impressed and can't wait to go back. I just hope it's as good second time round!

3 Thank Lodnol
Dear Lodnol

Thank you so much for such a great review, the team here were absolutely delighted with your comments and have all asked me to pass on their gratitude!

The Slow Cooked Pork special was incredibly well received over the weekend, and our Fish & Chips has always been a customer favourite, so it was so gratifying to read your comments regarding the food (the Sticky Toffee Pudding will hopefully be staying on our menu for a while!).

It's always fantastic to learn that a guest has tried us because of a recommendation, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant again soon!

Thanks again, and please do ask for myself next time your dining with us, as it would be lovely to have the opportunity to thank you in person.

Southampton
“What a great place!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Had a lovely meal at Ceno last night. The food was excellent and the staff were extremely attentive and hard working. Nice outside seating area to view the world with a drink when the weather is good, inside is relaxed and chic.

3 Thank Rooby09
Dear Rooby09

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review, your comments regarding our food and service were very much appreciated, and the weather is supposed to be staying like this for a while so you can hopefully enjoy our terrace area for a bit longer!

Thanks again, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the restaurant again soon!

“Good food and location”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Try the sticky lamb, either as a main or as we often do as one of the 'nibbles' you can order (we often have a selection of these instead of a starter). Good outside seating in summer. Bar staff could be friendlier but may have been busy. Gent who served us was great. If want somewhere in Portswood or Southampton that has a good restaurant atmosphere given it a go.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank P_Maximus
Dear P_Maximus

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review!

The Shredded Lamb Salad has been a favourite of ours for a long time, and with the weather hopefully staying like this for a while our outside terrace should be available to enjoy for some time!

Whilst it was lovely to see that the team member that served you was great, I was disappointed to read that you felt our team could have been friendlier whilst serving your drinks. Regardless of how busy we are, offering great hospitality will always be a priority to us, and comments like this are incredibly rare, so please accept my sincerest apologies for this unusual lapse in standards.

Thanks again, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the restaurant again soon.

“Very Good Food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I've normally only visited Ceno to meet friends for a coffee either outside in the sunshine or in their bar area. But a friend took me for lunch where I enjoyed the crispy lamb salad which was very good, that I decided for our next girls dine out evening we should try Ceno for dinner!

I was not disappointed. It was easy to make a reservation and staff were very polite on the phone.

We arrived and shown to our seats, we were lucky enough to be seated in a booth, so felt we had enough privacy for our small group.

The waiting staff were very friendly and knew there menu when we asked what certain things were. We ordered some nibbles to start with Sticky Lamb Salad for myself and one friend and garlic bread for another. For mains I had the steak which was meant to come with chips, however, I liked the sound of the sweet potato duphonois that was being served with the Lamb so asked if it would be possible to swap this (and it was!). My two friends had Duck and Pulled Pork Burger. The food arrived and was presented well - nice sized portions for the prices (even though we did think that the prices were slightly higher than other restaurants similar). But nonetheless, the food was really enjoyable.

For desert two of us had the Crème Brule, again, very nice! First time I've ever had Crème Brule so I can't compare this. But again, the deserts were all presented really nicely.

We were not rushed and there were adequate breaks in between each part of the meal, which gave us enough time to chat merrily away.

Will definitely want to re-visit Ceno again ! Thanks for a wonderful dining experience.

1 Thank Charli_32
Dear Charli_32

Thank you so much for such a lovely review…it was fantastic to see how much you enjoyed your evening with us and the team here are all incredibly grateful for your kind words!

Your review is a perfect reflection of how we feel every dining experience should be; locally sourced, well executed food and friendly, knowledgeable staff.
Ensuring an attentive service without appearing to be overbearing or rushing guests is somewhat of a constant challenge for a restaurants front of house team, so it was a great compliment to our staff that these particular points were noted in your review!

Thank you again, and with the weather being so good to us at the moment hopefully you may be able to dine outside next time you pay us a visit!

Southampton, United Kingdom
“First timers, we'll definitely return!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We've recently moved to area and were recommended Ceno's for dinner and/or lunch. I can say we had a lovely lunch there today. Service was welcoming and friendly and we opted to sit in the bar area. I went for the little taster options. The tempura prawns (yummy) pate & toast (yummy) arancini balls (yummy) and the Cajun chicken (yummy) all came with dipping sauces and the pate came with balsamic onions. Want to note the presentation was appealing. My husband had steak, mushroom and bacon cheeseburger, fries and salad. He said it was delicious. We left feeling really pleased we'd been and glad to have this place as our new local. Looking forward to returning for dinner!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Annie A
Jamie G, Manager at Ceno, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Af11AUD

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, it's always a great compliment to our team when a guest mentions that they visited us based on a recommendation, and I was so pleased to read that you both enjoyed your lunch!

We are incredibly lucky to have a warm and welcoming front of house team who are all passionate about providing the best service that we can, and so it was incredibly rewarding to see that this was noted in your review.

Our kitchen brigade have also asked me to pass on their thanks for your comments regarding the food…hopefully you can sample some more of the menu next time your in!

Thanks again, and I hope to see you at the restaurant again soon.