“Soon to return!”

The White Star Tavern
Ranked #9 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Couldnt wait to get home and write a review to let everyone else know what a fantastic place this was to stay.
I won a local charity raffle which consisted of a nights stay and breakfast here at The White Star. Ive popped into the bar for cocktails with friends but wasnt aware they had rooms.
On my arrival i was greeted by a friendly girl called Sarah who was very attentive and showed me to my room. I was very impressed to find some gorgeous White Company products in the bathroom. To add to this i also found there to be fresh milk and cafitiere coffee which is very rare in hotel rooms.
After what can only be described as one of the best nights sleep ive ever had (must have been the delightfully comfortable bedding) i headed down for breakfast.
A lady called Alex then served me for breakfast and she was lovely, asking me if id had a good sleep etc. I had poached eggs on toast and i was not dissappointed, it was extremely tasty even for just eggs on toast!
Upon checking out from the hotel i spoke to a lady called Fiona, who was also very friendly and helpful.
Overall i would highly recommend this as a place to stay or eat as every member of staff had clearly been trained well in the customer service area and you would not be dissappointed.
I will definately be returning VERY soon :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The White Star Tavern

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Myself and 12 friends stayed a at the hotel recently for a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, we rented the 3 bedroom apartment on the top floor plus 3 bedrooms, all of them were modern and clean with comfy beds. The service at check in and check out at reception was swift and easy, breakfast was scrummy and cooked to order (much nicer than breakfast buffet and worth the wait!). The location is excellent if you are planning to have a night out as Oxford Street has lots on offer, plus a few late bars. The only comment the girls wanted to feedback was that a full length mirror in the apartment would have been great :-)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you for your review following your stay at The White Star, I am so please that you all had such a nice stay, it is pleaseing to read that we were able to meet all your needs. I have made a note regarding your comment of having a full lengh mirror in the apartement and I do hope to have one fitted very soon. I am glad that you particularly enjoyed the freshly cooked breakfast, found the service to be so good and that our location was what you needed. Once again many thanks and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

Lovely food and terrific staff.
The superior room was small but well decorated and the bathroom was lovely. But the room was stiflingly hot and if the window is opened then you can hear the people below in a BUSY street. Not that closing the windows makes much difference as to all the drunken singing throughout the night (Sunday night too!). Not the hotels fault I appreciate but there was no chance of keeping the noise out with single glazed windows. No air con either just a fan from Tesco. But our finest birthday treat was saved for 6 15am that morning courtesy of the window cleaner (we were three floors up so a pretty noisy experience!).
Must just say that the food was great but not the place to stay (in our opinion) for a relaxing nights sleep or value for money

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for spending the time in posting your comments. I am very pleased that you were very positive about the food, bedroom facilities and staff. I am however dissapointed that your experience was spoilt some way by the noise. Whilst we are centrally located we do not have too many problems due to noise, I am just sorry that you were effected in the way that you were. Following your comments, I have spoken to the Window Cleaning Company in order to ensure our bedrooms are not cleaned at that time. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again, I am sure that we will be able to show that we do act on any negative comments that can be acted on, in order to make our guests stay as enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

First impressions were good - friendly staff who made you feel welcome. Room was fine just as asked for but was on the the street side which on a Friday night was fairly lively which meant it was difficult to escape the noise on bedtime (at midnight). The room though was very warm and the windows did not open fully - so much so that I couldn't stay in this place during the summer. The fridge cupboard threw out a lot of heat. Our friends in the adjacent room had the same experience as us.

The bar was buzzy. Excellent live singer and the meal we had there was great british food with a modern twist.

Breakfast was good but we had to wait ages. One couple walked out after waiting 45mins and another was given cornflakes as they had no muesli - problem was they didn't tell the guest first. I also think breakfast really should be included in the room rate.

On check out there was over £50 in additional charges which had been put on in error! Our friends had £100 in additional charges which they had not used. We were told they had a problem with their computer. This was very shabby and a reason neither of us would return to this place.

Room Tip: Ask not a quiet room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jamez

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you found the staff welcoming, however I am sorry that you found the room to be warm. I have checked the window in the bedroom that you stayed and our maintenace manager has changed the locks, to enable that window to be opened better. a number of overcharges on your bill on check out, this was a rare system error that caused this to happen, I am just glad that it was resolved in a short amount of time. I do hope that you will consider a future visit, I am sure it will be sure that it will be more memorable for the right reasons.

Reviewed 8 June 2011

Thoroughly enjoy this hotel Excellent food. Room nice with superb bathroom. Staff always on good form and willong to help.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

I am very pleased that your your stay at The White Star was so good. I will pass on your comments to the staff. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the food, stating it to have been 'excellent', we are proud to have two rosettes for our food quality and it is good to hear that you felt this to be of that quality. I do hope that we will see you for another visit in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

We had a great stay, beautiful room, incredible location and wonderful staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for posting your very positive review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be wonderful, I will certainly pass on you comments to all. We do strive to be the best Boutique Hotel in the area and your comment does give us great pride. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

A boutique-style inn with luxurious furnishings and fabulous bathroom. Staff really friendly and the whole place had a lovely, warm ambience. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant which was really good and enjoyed a wonderful cocktail in the lively bar. As good as, if not better, than some of the 4 star hotels I've previously stayed in.

Room Tip: Stayed in the superior double room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Julie, Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the service that you recieved at The White Star. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto all the staff. I see that you do not live far from Southampton, so hopefully we will see you again soon, if not for accomodation maybe a nice meal in restaurant, that you spoke very highly of. Thank you for your feedback once again.