“Excellent”

The White Star Tavern
Ranked #6 of 44 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Very much a last minute booking due to the snow. Our Room was booked via booking.com and we got it for £58.50, it was small but comfy at the back so quiet, the only downer was that we were provided with only one towel and no dressing gowns, but a call to reception soon rectified this.
We had dinner downstairs, and it was very busy, but the staff were able to cover our table very well, and the food was excellent and very good value for money.
The only downer of our stay was getting the bill the next morning. I would definately recommend this for stay.... helpful staff, high quality food and comfortable rooms and an atmosphere with a bit of buzz.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

I am pleased to read that you made the best of the very good accommodation offer that we had available last weekend. I do apologise that there was only one towel in your room on your arrival, your bedroom reservation did not include bathrobes - however I am pleased that we managed to supply these to you.
It is great that your experience in the Restaurant was so good and matched your expectations in terms of 'excellent food, good service and atmosphere'.
Thank you once again and I hope you will stay with us once again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Was a bit put off at first when I seen the pub underneath, but needn't have been. All staff were nice and courteous, including the bar staff. The room was nice spacious for the price and clean. Bathroom also clean . Only downside was some minor finishing details that i felt wold have taken the hotel into the next bracket. Overall excellent value for money, and very pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at The White Star. I have noted your comments regarding 'minor finishing details' in your room and as General Manager will rectify immediately. Feedback both positive and with reference to improvement is vital and I thank you once again for sparing the time to post this review.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

My bf and I stayed here for the night of the 23rd November as a bit of treat. We were welcomed by one of the bouncers who very helpfully ran in to find someone to check us in.

We were shown to the reception area where we were provided with all the information we could possibly need before being guided to the small, yet clean, modern and attractive room. The bed was great and the toiletries lovely.

A couple of small complaints however. Firstly, the hairdryer was one of those cheap nasty little things that becomes dangerously hot after a couple of minutes use and took 20 minutes to dry my hair. (I do usually take my own hairdryer but forgot on this occasion). Secondly, I failed to get any hot water out of the shower before I went to bed, so gave up. Thirdly, the fire alarm went off at 5:30am and continued to sound for 5 minutes or so, resulting in my waking up in a shaking panic. I have Asperger's Syndrome, meaning that I suffer from sensory issues; the noise was enough to cause me a lot of stress and necessitated my bf looking after me for quite some time, meaning that we didn't get any more sleep that morning. I understand that the reason for the alarm going off was that another guest was smoking in their room. The manager apologised to me upon checkout.

Breakfast the next morning was efficient and very beautifully prepared; no criticisms at all there!

I am aware that my experience with the alarm had nothing to do with the management of the hotel, and therefore have not let that affect my rating of this otherwise lovely place. Provided all other guests are non-smokers, I would have no hesitation in returning! Damn autism....

1  Thank Emily W

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time in expressing your thoughts on Trip Advisor, following your stay at The White Star.
Whilst I am very pleased to read that your stay would not deter you from returning, I do apologise for the fact that the hairdryer in your room did not function correctly - this has now been replaced.
It is very rare that the Fire Alarm will sound especially so early in the morning, as it did during your stay, as explained to you on check out, this was due to a guest smoking in a bedroom, very unfortunate and again I can only apologise.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

We booked this hotel based on trip advisor comments from past guests. the staff were very acomodating, our room was roomy, and the restaurant was excellent. We also liked the location -- walking distance to everything! It was a great place to stay for 2 nights prior to our cruise departure. Next time, we might even stay a night or two at the end of a cruise to see some of the sights a bit farther out of town.

Room Tip: We booked a room on the third floor (counting as Americans do) and had no street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Your very positive review was a so nice to read, I thank you for your comments and will ensure that I pass these onto the staff.

As you will be aware we are a perfect location for Cruise Stopovers and we look forward to welcoming you back both prior and post your next Cruise from Southampton.

I do hope that your voyage to New York was as enjoyable as your stay at The White Star and we will await your next visit. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed in the "Majestic" room. The room is nicely decorated, spacious and with a good bathroom. Pity for a few glitches (e.g. some stains in curtains, walls and ceiling - this should be easily solved with some attention to detail). Facing the main street did mean some noise in the late evening, but nothing too bad. The hotel being attached to the pub/restaurant is an interesting proposition, which we liked. The service was friendly, and we enjoyed the dinner, which was good quality and fairly priced. The bar was very full and noisy on a Saturday night, but we did not mind this at all. Breakfast is good, in a pleasant setting. Service in the morning is slightly slow, which is not a problem on Sunday evening but may be if you are in a hurry. All in all, a good place to stay in a town that in itself did not have much to offer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review on Trip Advisor. I have taken on board your comments regarding 'a few glitches' with regards to furnishings in the bedroom.
I was pleased to read that you felt the food to be of good quality and the service to be friendly during dinner.
Thank you once again and I hope you will return to The White Star

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Bedroom and bathroom very nicely fitted out, comfy bed and surprisingly quiet despite facing the main pedestrian road. Food in restaurant average - no better than that if that. Not to point it made it worth saying other then "all ok" when asked but would eat elsewhere if stayed there again (fish and chips with thick stodgy batter and limited fish inside). Which I would without a doubt. Very friendly helpful staff

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I visited here on a Saturday night as a party of 12 booked in for dinner at 8.00. I've visited the White Star once before for Breakfast and didn't have a fantastic time then, but was looking forward to an evening visit as the bar looks very nice inside and out.

There is a wide food selection on the menu, but we were limited to choosing from the reduced group dining menu. Our group table was right in the middle of the bar area which is really, really loud on a Saturday night. This is definitely a pre-club bar and was rowdy. Friendly, but very difficult to hear your friends sat opposite you when trying to have dinner.

Food was poor and I was really disappointed. 3 of our party and I all ordered a burger and all of us though it was awful. The patty was described as a 'steak burger' but we weren't asked how we would like them to be cooked. On arrival the burgers were rare to the point of being blue and cold in the middle. I like rare steak, but absolutely not rare mince. For a burger that costs £13 we should most definitely have been asked how we would have liked them to be cooked.

One of my friends is pregnant and was cautious about eating something so rare, so sent it back to be cooked further. It came back and was pretty much the same. We ate the chips and ignored the bleeding burgers.

Service was friendly although staff were clearly pretty rushed of their feet- we had to ask for drinks orders a couple of times before they finally arrived.

Overall, I think if I had visited this place for a drink and not food I would have had a better time. Food was not great and I wouldn't return for that, although I would visit again to meet friends before going out.

We were given cards at the end of the night inviting us to review our experience on Trip Advisor- so here it is! I notice the staff reply to reviews pretty much dismissing the claims of reviewers, so just to add that I've been as objective as possible in my comments- the food really wasn't great!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bp83
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you for leaving your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was very surprised when reading the issues that you have noted. I personally did two satisfaction checks to your table and each time was not notified of any issue and was infact adamant that you were all happy and content with the food that you were served. I was informed during your main course that one of your party would have liked her burger cooked to ‘well done’ due to pregnancy, this was rectified and seemingly done without issue. Due to your clear dissatisfaction, I would very much like to review all the issues, with you on a personal basis and will be most grateful if you could contact me so that we can discuss all the points that you have raised.