The White Star Tavern
Hotels.com
US$102
US$95
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$137
US$125
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Highfield House Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$67
US$99
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$88
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoxford streetdinner downstairslively barnarrow stairsstreet noisepub with roomsboutique hotelrestaurants and barsno elevatorfresh milkmini barcomfy bedocean villagetop floorlarge roomqueen maryno air conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2013

One night stay on a wet February weekend. Down to watch football, the result didn't spoil our stay. The ground is a 15 minute walk away.
Check in is via the pub then upstairs to a guest reception, quick and easy. Stayed in the Titanic room which is a good sized room with a large modern bathroom. Spotlessly clean with everything you need for a short stay. The hotel is on a busy street full of bars and restaurants. We chose to eat at the White Star and really enjoyed the meal. Service (Jessica) was first class. The bar was full with a great atmosphere. And despite still being very noisy when we went to bed the room was quiet although it is above the bar area. Breakfast the next day was just as good as the evening before , same staff and same quality of service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

It was great to read your feedback, seeing that you had such a nice time during your stay at The White Star.

I will be sure as to pass on your comments to all the staff involved with your stay, particularly Jessica who looked after you in the Restaurant.

Thank you for leaving this review, it very much confirms that hard work in customer service that we have been installing in all our staff.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stayed at the Tavern in January 2013. It is a late 19thC building in old Southampton, nicely located in the central walking area to museums and the docks. The whole area surrounding the tavern is being done up and the street (Oxford street) will become a pedestrian area. This is a Tavern rather than a 5 star hotel so expectations of available service should be realistic. Check in is at the pub as Matthew L indicates and I agree it could use some touchups in the paint in the hallway. The staff are great, welcoming and friendly. My room was nicely finished and had several much appreciated touches: a pint of fresh milk in the fridge (instead of the long life little containers), a cafetiere (French press) for coffee with fresh coffee grounds, down duvet instead of synthetic, and great feather pillows. A small issue with the sink was immediately and effectively dealt with by Alex. Parking is 5 pounds for 24 hrs right across the street. Great restaurants near by. All in all, I recommend this accomodation and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Pedestrian noise might be an issue for some with a room on Oxford street. If so ask for a room at the side/back where it will be quieter. Was not a problem in January but might be in the summer months.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Very much a last minute booking due to the snow. Our Room was booked via booking.com and we got it for £58.50, it was small but comfy at the back so quiet, the only downer was that we were provided with only one towel and no dressing gowns, but a call to reception soon rectified this.
We had dinner downstairs, and it was very busy, but the staff were able to cover our table very well, and the food was excellent and very good value for money.
The only downer of our stay was getting the bill the next morning. I would definately recommend this for stay.... helpful staff, high quality food and comfortable rooms and an atmosphere with a bit of buzz.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
WhiteStarTavern, General Manager at The White Star Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

I am pleased to read that you made the best of the very good accommodation offer that we had available last weekend. I do apologise that there was only one towel in your room on your arrival, your bedroom reservation did not include bathrobes - however I am pleased that we managed to supply these to you.
It is great that your experience in the Restaurant was so good and matched your expectations in terms of 'excellent food, good service and atmosphere'.
Thank you once again and I hope you will stay with us once again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Was a bit put off at first when I seen the pub underneath, but needn't have been. All staff were nice and courteous, including the bar staff. The room was nice spacious for the price and clean. Bathroom also clean . Only downside was some minor finishing details that i felt wold have taken the hotel into the next bracket. Overall excellent value for money, and very pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at The White Star. I have noted your comments regarding 'minor finishing details' in your room and as General Manager will rectify immediately. Feedback both positive and with reference to improvement is vital and I thank you once again for sparing the time to post this review.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

My bf and I stayed here for the night of the 23rd November as a bit of treat. We were welcomed by one of the bouncers who very helpfully ran in to find someone to check us in.

We were shown to the reception area where we were provided with all the information we could possibly need before being guided to the small, yet clean, modern and attractive room. The bed was great and the toiletries lovely.

A couple of small complaints however. Firstly, the hairdryer was one of those cheap nasty little things that becomes dangerously hot after a couple of minutes use and took 20 minutes to dry my hair. (I do usually take my own hairdryer but forgot on this occasion). Secondly, I failed to get any hot water out of the shower before I went to bed, so gave up. Thirdly, the fire alarm went off at 5:30am and continued to sound for 5 minutes or so, resulting in my waking up in a shaking panic. I have Asperger's Syndrome, meaning that I suffer from sensory issues; the noise was enough to cause me a lot of stress and necessitated my bf looking after me for quite some time, meaning that we didn't get any more sleep that morning. I understand that the reason for the alarm going off was that another guest was smoking in their room. The manager apologised to me upon checkout.

Breakfast the next morning was efficient and very beautifully prepared; no criticisms at all there!

I am aware that my experience with the alarm had nothing to do with the management of the hotel, and therefore have not let that affect my rating of this otherwise lovely place. Provided all other guests are non-smokers, I would have no hesitation in returning! Damn autism....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily W

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time in expressing your thoughts on Trip Advisor, following your stay at The White Star.
Whilst I am very pleased to read that your stay would not deter you from returning, I do apologise for the fact that the hairdryer in your room did not function correctly - this has now been replaced.
It is very rare that the Fire Alarm will sound especially so early in the morning, as it did during your stay, as explained to you on check out, this was due to a guest smoking in a bedroom, very unfortunate and again I can only apologise.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.