“Pub Food that is more than just eatable!”

The White Star Tavern
Ranked #9 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2013

There are quite a few places to eat on Oxford Street, our target was not the White Star. But they looked more interesting that their neighbors. We arrived when the after work crowd was arriving; we had never been there before; we needed coaching from a young lady staying in the rooms above. Once we figured out that we go to the bar, pay for each round; when we were ready to eat a waitress came to our table and took our order. This establishment is more than a pub or tavern. They fed peoples four meals a day with a very comlete menu, the hamburger was well recomended by other guests; we order two with chips. They were served on blocks of wood, well presented. Very Good

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 4eMurphy
There are newer reviews for The White Star Tavern

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Booked this place on a recommendation from a colleague when needing a place to stay down for work in Southampton. It had a great price for the night I wanted so that sealed the decision.
The White Star Tavern is a traditional ‘ rooms above a pub’ kind of place, located within a little strip of restaurants and bars on Oxford Street, Southampton. Certainly a lovely location for choices to eat and socialise.

Check in was efficient and super friendly. You walk to the bar and they will take you to the ‘reception area’ for the rooms. First impression was really good and for the price I paid, my room exceeded expectations. It was slightly compact (the bathroom was nearly as big as the room!) however well-appointed and clean. Complimentary coffee / tea (with biscuits and fresh milk) are available as well as a mini bar (with charge). Toiletries were sparse (one shampoo, body soap and shower gel) so make sure you bring your own if you need more than this. I didn’t note a hairdryer however I’d brought my own with me. No A/C (the windows open) however there are heaters for winter. Free Wifi was available throughout the room, reception area and pub.

Based on my experience I could summarise my stay as:

The good: Overall design, friendly service, nice pub grub at your fingertips

The bad: Small staircases (no lift), part of the charm but perhaps not great for families with small children or people with mobility issues

The ugly: Recycling started early with bottles being tossed around (rubbish workers, not the pub), squeaky floor boards and noisy pipes could be heard throughout the night. If you are not a deep sleeper you may struggle with getting a good nights kip. (I was in room 6 – Atlantic)

Verdict: Would I stay again? If the price is good, for sure……I'd probably enquire about a quieter room... However in general it did make a nice change from the efficient/inexpensive chain hotels found in Southampton.

Room Tip: Ask for one high up - less traffic above head and less from the street below.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Had excellent sunday brunch - prompt service and good full English. My wife had pancakes and bacon in syrup.

Nice décor.

Caveat - we were the only ones in the place though as it was near the end of their brunch service however, no one rushed us out even though we stayed for 90 minutes when they were getting ready for their lunch service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Thought we'd try this while waiting for the ferry to the Isle of Wight. What a mistake. It was busy, but we were told when we arrived that we needed to wait 30 mins. So we ordered some bar snacks (nuts, etc.) and a bottle of wine. After 30 mins we went back to the bar and asked to order food again, but were told there was another 20 mins wait. And after 20 mins, we tried again and were told it would be another 15 mins before we could order and so we left and went next door to Cargo, where they delivered food in less than 15 mins. I realise that sometimes it gets unexpectedly busy -but tell the truth. Don't mislead people and force them to drink while they wait to order!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed a Friday and Saturday night in June. The location is fantastic, on a pedestrianised street with lots of restaurants. The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom. We stayed in an Upper Deck room (highest rated room). The pub below was very lively but the noise stopped not long after we went to bed.

Breakfast on Sunday morning was slow. I think they were short on chefs. This let it down slightly.

We would (and have) recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WoodentopOnTour
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Food was OK but nothing specially and the service was very very slow. The three of us arrived for lunch at midday and were just about the only people in the place. Our order was taken fairly quickly but then waited over an hour for it to arrive. We were sitting outside and a number of people came and went after stopping for a drink but the tables were not cleared of the empty glasses so I really don't know what the staff were doing with their time. The White Star calls itself a "Gastro-Pub" and is priced accordingly but is let down by the service.......I won't be back

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were to board a cruise ship in Southampton, England, and visit family and friends prior to the cruise, so we chose The White Star Tavern in which to spend the pre-cruise night.

This is an old Victorian inn, which was remodelled and a few years ago was re-made into a hotel. It has an excellent restaurant as well, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner all year round.

The manager checked us in and took us up narrow staircases to our room. A young lad brought our bags up for us. Although i say the staircases are narrow, they add to the quaint quality of the Inn, reminding us of old English haunted houses. There is an elevator/lift if you do not wish to use the stairs. My wife and I are fit 80 year olds and found the stairs no problem, however. The room itself was very modern, containing all the requisite items one expects to find in a first class hotel, including free WIFI and a flat screen TV. The view was not impressive, looking over the roof below and towards a block of flats fifty metres distant (I think), but the room was very quiet with no street noise.

We found the room very comfortable for our needs, but I would not want to stay there for a week, as it was not a large room. I do not want to dissuade people from staying at The White Star, far from it: I simply point out that the room was very comfortable, but on the small side.

Incidentally, we do receive emails from the Manager when they have specials and we stayed this last time in June 2013 on a special: nightly rate for a room of GBP 25, provided we spent GBP 50 in the dining room. We did, as it was a good menu and an excellent meal.

We do recommend this Inn and we will stay there again if we are back in the UK and our old hometown of Southampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple