“A Wonderful Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Star Tavern

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The White Star Tavern
Ranked #9 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
London
“A Wonderful Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Never had a bad meal here (breakfast, lunch and dinner) - even got some extra toast once! Really super food and excellent service - cannot recommend more highly. So come to Southampton and get a table booked here!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was the 4th time we've stayed here in as many years. There is a very smart lounge area upstairs where you check in and are given information about meal times and check out time etc. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable with pretty much everything you need. Comfortably furnished in a contemporary style but including some historical nautical prints and artefacts reflecting the building's history. Super comfy beds with high quality linens, hair dryer, tea & coffee making facilities, ear plugs (very thoughtful as the street below can be lively) and some magazines to read. The bathroom had a large walk-in shower with accurate control of hot / cold water and good water flow through the rain shower type shower head. Lighting was via down lighters but this casts a deep shadow over your face at the wash hand basin making if difficult to effectively shave. I suggest a separate wall mounted adjustable shaving mirror, preferably backlit. The wash hand basin was very slow to drain away - this should have been picked up and dealt with when the room was cleaned. The room safe was also found locked shut & so was not available for use - this should also have been dealt with at the room cleaning stage. These are both minor points and easy to rectify.
Breakfast turned out to be a bit of a problem for us. We went to the bar and stood there for some time as the 3 waiters at the other end of the bar were deep in a group discussion joking about something. 2 of the waiters looked at us but the conversation was continued and we were ignored! Eventually after a few bar cloths had been thrown at each other, one of the waiters came over to us. I said we would like to have breakfast and the waiter pointed to the booths and said to go over and make ourselves comfortable. I asked if we could have 2 menus and sit at the tables outside as it was a hot sunny day. We were given menus and went to the outside table area and that's as far as we got with breakfast. Waiters were making up tables outside, I presumed for breakfast, and I tried at least 4 times to get someone's attention so we could order but we were completely ignored again. 2 of the waiters looked directly at me but failed to acknowledge me before walking back inside. After 20 minutes I was left wondering - Why do the waiters think I am sitting here with a menu for 20 minutes with no food or drink on the table?? We gave up and went back to our room to check out with the intention of getting breakfast elsewhere.
When I spoke to the manager checking us out, I mentioned that we had trouble trying to get breakfast and he said that you have to order and pay for your breakfast at the bar if you want to sit outside as they can have trouble keeping tabs on outside accounts. This is somewhat bewildering as restaurants manage this situation adequately all over the world. A swipe had been taken of my card for the room so what's the real problem here? Just a tiny bit of communication from the bar staff who were too busy being indifferent to customers could have avoided this situation. It takes years to build a good reputation such as the "White Star's" and only a short time to loose it through poor service and indifference. I left wondering who is in charge here and sets the standard - is it the manager or staff? We would stay here again and hope this was only a hiccup rather than a change in standards. Please sort it out soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adyfield
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The White Star is a lovely place to stay and to dine. Throughout our planning and having to adjust details of our stay, they have always been incredibly helpful. The extras of champagne and chocolates in our room were just so, beautifully presented and really put us in the holiday mood!

Check-in was smooth, we first went to the bar and then were assisted up the stairs with our luggage, of which there was a lot!
There are sofas/ a table to relax at in the reception area, with some books available. There are also dvds available to borrow too.
Myself and my husband stayed in room 1, the Titanic Suite and my Mum was in room 8, Endeavour. Both of these are "top deck" rooms which means the best grade of room, we got use of the minibar and breakfast the following day at the rate we paid.
The rooms were lovely, mine and Jon's had a walk-in shower and a bath, Mum's had the walk-in shower. Plenty of room for luggage to be stowed, there was a flatscreen tv in each room which were handy for watching the news etc. The rooms are a good size.
The beds were comfortable and the rooms were nice and cool as the curtains had been drawn to stop the sun from overheating the rooms. As it is an older building there isn't aircon but there are fans in the cupboard/ wardrobe if it gets hot.
Both rooms were clean and well kept, the champagne was on ice ready for our arrival just after 3pm.

We had dinner that evening in the restaurant, an excellent menu based on locally sourced ingredients, myself and my husband had the cauliflower soup with poached egg, we also had bread & olives, which were tasty.
For mains we had the risotto for my husband, my mum had the free range pork and I had the Lymington Plaice. We also ordered extra triple cooked chips. All of the food was delicious, the fish was so fresh and the chips are always a real treat!
For dessert my Mum had the rhubharb crumble, which is served in a deconstructed style and was pretty as well as tasty. I had the bitter chocolate slab which was amazing!

In the morning we all had breakfast, again excellent quality - their Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon is the BEST I have ever had, so full compliments to the chef. Not even the cruise liner could top it!

When we returned we spent hours sitting in the sunshine outside from 9am, waiting for my Mum to arrive to meet us as we were off the ship really early, we found it easy to run a tab and have drink whilst we were waiting. We had lunch, various sandwiches with the triple cooked chips, delicious - I loved my fish finger sandwich, Mum highly recommends the Club and Jon had the egg.

The hotel reception and bar/ restaurant staff are all incredibly helpful, many thanks to them all. We will definitely be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: There is no lift and the stairs are fairly steep, as this is an older building, so you need to be ab...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I really enjoy the White Star. I was served by a young lady called Jess. She was very friendly, and served me very quickly. All the staff are very friendly and will go above and beyond to ensure you are not kept waiting. I would recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a place to have a drink of an evening in Southampton.

• Stayed June 2014
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I visit the White Star every time I go to Southampton. The athmosphere is always good - if you want a quiet corner you'll probably find one. The ford is good and good value and the staff are always friendly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Alderney, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

During our one night stay at the hotel we had a mixture of experiences. We were aware that it fronts a busy street and presumed that with rooms classified as 'upper, middle and lower deck' thus would relate to floors. Nope just the 'class' of room. We were given an upper deck on the first floor, which followed a mild complaint from me was changed to the second floor. Still noise from road easily distinguishable. Room well decorated and equipped. En suite good size albeit loose tap on handbasin. As we felt it necessary to keep window shut had restless night with v warm room. Ver steep stairs to rooms although assistance with luggage offered. Following morning the hot water ran out after my wife's shower leaving me with cool water. When we checked out and told the duty manager he apologised saying he was aware! The boiler had tripped out. No form of recompense. Free breakfast would have been nice! Both breakfast and dinner previous evening v good with excellent staff. Overall restaurant v good. Hotel average more style than substance, good location for other bars. Despite good staff probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher the better unless mobility probs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sailingdrummer
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel last weekend to celebrate his Birthday. When I was booking this hotel, in the comments section, I mentioned we were celebrating my boyfriends birthday, and if there was anything they could do to make it that bit more special, I would be extremely grateful. Upon arrival, all the staff we saw were very polite and professional. We were given our key to our room (Titanic), we opened the door to the most gorgeous room, everything about it was perfect, from rose petals on the bed and a bottle of Prosseco in an ice bucket, down to the fluffy towels and toiletries in the bathroom. (They definitely went that extra mile!!!)

If anyone is looking for a romantic getaway in the most gorgeous hotel, walking distance of the shops, this is definitely the place to book! Trust me, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple