“Super cocktails and great staff ”

Mango Thai Tapas, Ocean Village
Ranked #145 of 964 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$19 - US$38
Description: Family-owned and run, Mango Thai Tapas celebrates its 10 year anniversary in 2017! With three Mangos in Southampton, each with their own identity, here on Canute Road is the Shangri-La of Bangkok. With its lively atmosphere and cocktail culture, enjoy drinking as much as the eating with an entirely Thai Tapas menu. Once you've enjoyed tasting and sharing dishes, continue your night and head downstairs. The Basement, with a capacity of over 150 people, plays host to a stellar calendar of live entertainment including: Tuesday Stand Up in The Basement comedy nights, Thursday late night jam sessions, and party DJs Friday and Saturdays.
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

I attended late bank holiday Sunday evening. The restaurant was closed by the time we arrived but bar was still fairly busy. Think this is one of few in the area open till late.
The staff were super friendly, cocktail selection wide and atmosphere buzzy.
Would pop back in next time I'm in the area

Date of visit: April 2017
Tamsin S, Manager at Mango Thai Tapas, Ocean Village, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

HI Sophie thanks for the great review. Bar is open until 3am Thursday - Saturday and we've got lots going on in the Basement. Pop back soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2017

I don't like complaining unless I really have to but I am going to about Mangos. Get over it being Tapas which is Spanish as really the dishes aren't that small.

On the plus side, the waitresses were good. Had a dreadful wine which was changed without complaint. Beer average but nothing special.

Food was horrible - sweet chilli sauce is seriously overloaded with garlic and not nice. Prawn crackers truly revolting like they have been overcooked. A complaint resulted in the barman who said he was a chef that there was nothing wrong with them and got very antsy with us. As a result we left completely dissatisfied and will not go back again.

Date of visit: April 2017

Hi ST, we're sorry you didn't enjoy this particular visit to us. It is very rare we get a poor review of our food, so surprised to read yours and looking into what could have gone wrong on this occasion. As for the wine, it is of much interest to know which wine it was, as we have used a great small and independent wine merchant ever since we opened and never had a complaint. We've been serving our Thai Tapas for coming up ten years–Thai small plates that you can share and enjoy with a drink, didn't quite roll off the tongue as well! We hope you might reconsider in the future and give us opportunity to change your mind.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I have eaten at this bar/restaurant more times than I can remember and have not had a single complaint about any of the food, service or general quality of the bar/restaurant.

The decor is trendy and modern. They have a good choice of beers and the menu has lots to choose from.

Good quality food, good sized portions, reasonably priced, good service and overall a very decent bar/restaurant with good night life at the weekends.

Would recommend.

Date of visit: April 2017

Many thanks for the great review Chief. Look forward to welcoming you back soon :)

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Have always enjoyed mango.usaully go to the one in portswood Southampton but on the night we went out it was fully booked so we decided on the mango above bar.
The food is always good fun to buy lots of the tapas dishes and share.
The staff are always friendly​ and the atmosphere relaxed (this could be due to a lot of wine)l would definitely recommend mango for a twist on the usual Thai restaurant.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Full disclosure: I don't like Thai food. I also think that Tapas should be Spanish food only. I was dragged here begrudgingly by colleagues and, to my complete surprise and no little irritation, I had a great time. I enjoyed the food and the waiters were very patient with a Thai novice like me. The wine was drinkable, although not great, and I prefer to sit at a table rather than perched on a high chair, but it's still well worth a visit.

Date of visit: December 2016