“Nice friendly atmosphere”

Ranked #13 of 52 Winchester B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent
“Nice friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here while visiting a friend in Winchester - most of the accommodation was booked and generally stay in the Royal. (Not anymore though) This pub was welcoming, friendly and had that really homely feel, the room was clean, spacious and the windows had been left open to keep the freshness on what was a clammy day. We were welcomed by a very friendly member of staff who was good company and fun. The breakfast was very nice and pretty filling - the lady serving genuinely cared which makes a change from these big impersonal hotels. Will definitely go again - the manager Ben knows how to run a good ship.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 3 and plenty of room for pub accommodation
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Recently used this Accommodation for 1 night only, originally booked because it was the only one in Winchester that allowed checking in at Midday.
So Glad we found it, it is perfect for a short break, the rooms are well equipped & very clean.
Comfy Bed, good shower & despite being above a pub it is remarkably quiet.
Added bonus of a Parking permit being provided, we parked right outside the pub & it cost nothing.
The Full English Breakfast was superb, after Breakfast we ambled into Winchester through the park & up the river, it was a lovely little walk.
We returned to the King Alfred for some lunch & were not disappointed it was great & not expensive.
We would have no hesitation in recommending the King Alfred to others.
We will probably go back there again sometime.
Geoff M

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff M
Avon Dassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here for a night and was impressed by the spacious comfortable room and friendly staff. Surprisingly quiet for a pub environment, tucked away, but within easy walking distance of the centre of town. Recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014

A bit delayed writing this review, but a few weeks ago I was due to stay having stayed before and been very impressed.

I had a different room this time, and immediately I walked in a noticed a strange smell. After a few minutes my eyes were stinging as well. It seems the culprit was a large patch of mould on the chimney breast.

I informed the hotel manager and was told that there had been a leak but it had been resolved. I told him I was not willing to stay in a room with active mould and asked for another room. I was told all the rooms were full. I asked to swap with someone else but was told "but then they will complain as well".

Getting nowhere I cancelled my booking and stayed elsewhere. I won't be staying again which is a shame because it is a nice place but once bitted twice shy.

Room Tip: Don't take the one at the top of the stairs on the right
Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank colinsto
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night. Off to the rugby and due back late, the manager allowed my godson to check in for us during the day. Arrived @1am. Room was very tastefully decorated, with nice little touches in the bathroom. Had a lovely sleep in the comfortable bed. Wil definitely stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst visiting family. Could not fault it. Good beer, very clean and up to date room. Bath room clean, good shower. Excellent and prompt breakfast and butter not in packets, although sugar was!
Very good value.
Book ahead. Even in Feb Winchester is busy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here last week for 5 days while in Winchester and I loved it. The pub was closed for renovations during my stay, only opening the last night I was there. They thoughtfully informed me of this before I arrived and the renovations themselves did nothing to detract from my stay, they made sure to start late enough in the morning that there was no disturbance. The room was lovely - spacious and clean, with a beautiful bathroom that looked like it had been recently renovated. I ate at the restaurant on my last night and the food was great. The location of the pub is ideal, it's in a quiet neighbourhood but the city centre is only a 5-10 minute walk from town. You could not find a better deal for the money in expensive Winchester, this place is an absolute gem.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo