“Great for a large group”

El Sabio Tapas Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Sabio Tapas Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 207 Restaurants in Winchester
Price range: US$15 - US$41
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great for a large group”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went last night, and had a great time. There were 20 of us in hen party and we had rebooked a set meal of tapas. The service was very quick and the food was delicious. There was plenty of it and it was all piping hot. The staff were friendly and helpful, bringing jugs of water and clearing dishes without prompting.
Would definitely go back.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Always fantastic food! ”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have visited this place several times with friends and have always had great experiences. The food is delicious and authentic. I tried paella for the first time here, and now can't get enough of it! The restaurant is fairly small but tables are spaced out well and staff are attentive. A real gem!

1 Thank Laura T
Southampton
“Disappointing service”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

After hearing really good things about this restaurant I decided to book a table for a party of 4 couples. To start with it was only meant to be a table for 6, which the woman on the phone told me the only availability would be either at 9 o'clock, or early in the evening. Obviously, its a Friday night and I didn't see a problem with having a late table so chose 9 o'clock. The next day I had to up the table from 6 to 8 people. I was then told I would need to pay a deposit to secure the table. Again, understandable.

We arrived at the restaurant a little after 9 to find lots of empty tables with reserved signs on them. We were offered an inside or outside option and chose to sit outside. After we had ordered a few drinks the rest of our party had arrived and were told that we would have to hurry up to order because the kitchen closed at 10. Which was quite annoying as we could have been there a lot earlier if they had had a reservation. When ordering we just wanted to get some bread/olives nibbles for the table and asked if what we had ordered would be enough for the table, to which the waitress just looked at me pretty blankly. When the nibbles came there was barely enough for half the table. The main courses were nice but its so true that service is important and we were made to feel like a burden.

I know that having a party of 8 people can be tricky to serve (I have worked in restaurants since I was 16 and throughout uni), however, we were not given the best service. It seemed that we were more of a annoyance and by the end of the night they just wanted us out. When spending a lot of money on a meal its not exactly the way you want to be treated and I am disappointed. I dined in Sakura the night before coming here, and if you appreciate good service then probably best to go there.

1 Thank Ellie K
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

As the only Spanish place perhaps complacency is to blame for the rubbish eating experience that was lunchtime here. Despite only 2 other tables eating, unenthusiastic service, keen to put you in a dark corner when there are tables by the window (sunny day, garden off limits), less than average food topped off by the change from the bill being kept as a presumed tip. Thankfully we only paid lunchtime prices which were still extortionate for the poor food.

2 Thank mrkawamackie
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice outside seating”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had booked to sit inside but it was sunny so they rustled up an outside table for us. We enjoyed a delicious mix of vegetable, meat and seafood tapas with a lovely bottle of red wine. Reasonably priced as well. Service was very polite and courteous but a little slow.

Visited September 2013