“Dinner”

The Ivy Winchester Brasserie
Reserve with TopTable
The Ivy Winchester Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 219 Restaurants in Winchester
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went for dinner there last night with friends, was so looking forward to it - we were warmly welcomed by staff, the place looks great but the food, what a disappointment!! The lobster had to be sent back, this was replaced with a fillet steak that was virtually raw, the Parmesan and truffle chips were all stuck together and almost cold. Let’s hope this is just teething problems but at over £300 for 4 of us, we won’t be returning any time soon, what a shame.

1  Thank Angela G

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife is an ex high end chef so im well versed with, "if you want quick - go to Mcdonalds". Even so, make sure you allow plenty of time.

However fantastic food - really really good. Ive been disappointed by "fine dining" in the past as code for "small and expensive" so I was braced for disappointment but nope - great.

The service was beyond excellent and the place is finished to a beautiful standard. 3 courses came to £38 a head which I've no complaints about, as service is included. The Chesil Rectory is in the same league but pricier.

Being very picky, frozen spinach should have been fresh at this level, but the best meal out in a very long time. Its only been open a week, so no doubt the kitchen will get a bit quicker.

A must try when in Winchester and worthy of the famous Ivy name. Ill be back.

PS - Chocolate bombe - oh wow

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had brunch on the first Friday. Lovely decor. Nice to be in a booth. Staff friendly but didn’t really know what they were doing as still early days. Enjoyed the Eggs Benedict, given complimentary coffee refills. Will go back once service has been bedded in!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’m hoping that it is teething issues with the service and food as we visited the first weekend it opened.

Looking online beforehand the menu looked great with a good variety of options and prices. The venue itself was beautifully decorated - the bar is Art Deco and glamorous and the tables neatly laid and with table clothes which can be a rarity in restaurants at the moment!

We were shown to a table for four toward the back of the restaurant and it is pretty snug for four people once food and drinks arrive which is a shame. The staff were all really friendly and there seemed to be a lot of managers around observing and providing guidance to the less experienced staff.

Service was slow however. Our drinks took a long time to come, there was quite a wait for mains to be cleared and an even longer wait for our dessert order to be taken. It took so long, despite us being seated twenty minutes early, we were still late for our booking for cocktails at Incognito afterwards.

We had mixed feelings on the food itself with hits and misses amongst our group. The goats cheese salad was overwhelmingly bitter and the arancini a bit dry. But the duck liver and the steak tartare were very food. There was a mishap with the wrong starter being served to my husband too, although this was quickly rectified. There was also a wait for the toast to accompany two of the starters.

Two of us had the lobster for main which was excellent, as were the accompanying chips. I’d have liked more garlic in the sauce though. The crab linguine was also a winner, although quite a large portion for such a rich dish. The burger was OK, but really nothing special. It was also served well-done (and the waitress didn’t ask for a preference), so it was a bit dry.

I had the apple tart for dessert, which was very nice, but not warm enough for me. I suspect it hung around for a while waiting for the chap with the blow torch skills to be free to heat the Calvados and pour over the tart (quite a spectacle). The chocolate bombe was just OK, but the rum baba was another good choice.

Overall, it felt a little bit style over substance for our first visit. Hopefully, waiting and food issues will be resolved once it all beds in.

1  Thank Gemma N
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Only gave it a star because I can't give it no stars the service is slow and food is frozen you can tell this by the quality of the food the staff have no idea where they are working on what station its a shambles they think they are the actual ivy there a shareholder collection just like subway only more seating at least with other restaurants there honest about what they serve and don't over charge you for the basic same product I didn't want to even give them a review with my free time but you guys and girls need to know this is a joke and if possible avoid if you want to have a good decent meal out I think Greggs throw there old sandwiches in the bin they would taste better and at least not frozen and you can avoid terrible customer service

4  Thank johnhall445