“Extremelly quiet, very quirky, very friendly. Super room.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Wolvesey View B & B
Ranked #38 of 52 Winchester B&B and Inns
Grendon, United Kingdom
“Extremelly quiet, very quirky, very friendly. Super room.”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I can appreciate the experience that Jade D had however I joined friends who had stayed for the four previous nights and found John the owner very friendly and accommodating. You are very much invited in to John's home if you stay here, John is a very thoughtful host.
Winchester is a lovely town and Wolvesey View is only a two minute walk from the river (or more specifically a pub beside the river) and not too much further to everything else Winchester town has to offer.
Our room was very clean and had a wonderful view of the college cricket pitch. The weather was lovely and with the window open there was nothing to be heard except bird song in the morning. Our tea pack wasn't fully stocked but it wasn't an issue nipping to the kitchen to make a coffee.
We had a simple bacon and egg breakfast then toast and marmalade with cafetiere coffee despite being offered a lot more.
We all had a perfectly pleasant stay and we would/will all return however I can appreciate that this B&B might not suit everybody.

Room Tip: The yellow room overlooking the cricket pitch is fantastic!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank peterernest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Midsomer Norton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I'm a student and even I would never stay in this place again. The first night I ended up sleeping in the library on a day bed, Impressed much? No!

There was books every where in the library, cables running all over the floor, newspapers stuffed away and just crap all over the place. The carpet was filthy.

The second night I was in the Chinese room which was much better with a double bed, however the room again needed a good dusting. I could draw pictures on the bedside tables.

The tea facilities weren't changed before I went into this room as there was a tea bag in the pot still from the previous occupant.

All rooms share one bathroom, no e suites in this house.

English breakfast was skimpy and well the place is just filthy.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
14 Thank Jade D
Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Although we have not had much experience staying in B and B's in England and cannot make a fair comparison to others,however, we appreciate clean and simple accommodation, a comfortable setting in a central location. On all these points,the Wolvesey View B and B met the mark. We stayed in a family " yellow " room which was located in the front of the house with a fine view of the historical Wolvesey ruins.This was appreciated since any hike of the ruins was not possible as the entrance was closed in the winter months.
The bathroom, although shared, was clean and there were nice touches with good quality soaps and body wash and ample towels which were clean, etc.
The host, John Holder, has a wealth of knowledge about Winchester and it's history and has published books and guides on Winchester. He shows concern and caring for his guests and for us, this was appreciated. The breakfasts were fine and he offered to get us champagne glasses so that we could sip champagne in our room before our departure back to Canada. I have read all the reviews, both positive and negative about this B and B, and can safely say that for us, John was a fine host. I can understand that some guests may value their personal space and John's eagerness to engage may be violating their personal space - this is something John could be more mindful of. We did not have any issues with the two cats who were in the breakfast area and they were well behaved. Winchester is a beautiful spot and found no fault with the lodgings. Our stay was fine.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank FriendlyTripper
Rheinfelden, Germany
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Wolvesley Court is a rather quiet place right in the middle of Winchester. It is about 5 minutes walk to the city centre. The major tourist sites are within 5 to 10 minutes walk (at most). The rooms are nice and cosy and there is plenty of hot water, which seems to be a privilege in the UK rather than standard. They cook a great breakfast. The owner has cats, which is an additional plus.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Thomas K
london
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The Wolvesley is in a very convenient location for shopping and sightseeing in Winchester. We were given a very warm welcome. There are no rooms with ensuite although the shared bathroom is in close proximity to all rooms. The yellow room, which overlooks Wolvesley Castle, is very basic with no extras. The single beds are very small and not very comfortable. The whole place needs a general tidy up and dust to improve its appearance.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank londonsilverlady
Surrey
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The owner was very amiable, and happily obtained smoked mackerel for my breakfast, although the promised tomatoes were forgotten. But I was put off my breakfast when I opened up my serviette and found that it was soiled: clearly it had been previously used and not washed. My room, which I shared with two companions, was dusty and too small for the three narrow single beds in it and the single toilet and bathroom for four guests was inadequate.
The house was rather cluttered with a variety of unusual objects.

Room Tip: Have the single room, rather than the three-bedded one.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Olefart1
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The Wolvesey View (or Wintonian - not really sure which!) is run by John Holder.

I stayed with my family, and we took all three rooms.

The house itself is quite large, considering it's central location. It has some nice views out of all of the windows.

Starting with a positive... the location is second to none. It really is superb - I walked easily into central Winchester, around the shops, visited the superb farmers market, and found some nice places to eat/drink with ease.
Winchester is a beautful city, and it is WELL worth taking a walk down the river from this B&B, as it really is beautful.

The decor in the B&B is a little scary, to be honest - it is obvious that John has decided to go "out there" with his decorating style - it leaves rather a lot to be desired!
The two larger rooms are nice and spacious, and have a nice little hidden-away basin in them.
The smaller room is a bit of a box room, and not all that nice, to be honest - the bathroom for this room is across the hall.

The beds were clean, but the rest of the room was quite poorly maintained. There was quite a thick layer of dust on most surfaces, the cups needed a quick clean, and the floor needed a good hoover.

Despite the comments on the B&B's website, about it being a very peaceful place, I was disturbed until the early hours of the morning by a nightclub (or similar) nearby, whose music I could hear through the window. The rear 2 rooms suffer from this in particular.

Once you got over the bedroom, breakfast was provided in a pleasant dining room, and was of a good quality. Everything you could want was provided, and tasted very nice!

Now - the final point. The host.
John is a VERY friendly man... I am not a great socialiser, and didn't really appreciate his constant wittering about all things Winchester and his family history.
He knows everything there is to know about Winchester - if you're interested in the city, he can offer superb advice on where to visit, when and how. Second to none.

The whole family felt his presence was a little "oppressive". We did only stay one night, so perhaps he didn't have time to guage our preferred level of interaction... but I can't say it is a problem we've had elsewhere.

I don't think I would stay at the Wolvesey View again - and not for any one of the reasons I've mentioned - but them all piled up together doesn't make me want to visit again.
I would like to visit Winchester again, as I feel like I've missed out on some superb historical features... but I will be finding a different B&B to stay in, I'm afraid!

Room Tip: If you can, go with the room at the front of the B&B - called the "Yellow Room" - for...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family