“Very swish”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Loved it!
Very short weekend break away. Found hotel easily with tru sty sat nav but was well signposted.
Modern building and I would imagine not opened all that long ago. Excellent free parking. Very spacious reception area. Check in was fast, efficient and friendly. Room was again very modern and of a good size. Beds comfortable and room clean. View over car park but no noise heard. Small but adequate bathroom complete with neon green glow lights so you don't disturb anyone in the middle of the night by putting the lights on.
Tea and coffee available. Along with hairdryer, iron and board, and of course small shampoo and shower gel also provided.
My only slight grumble was the air condiitioning vent pumped in air from outside where the smokers stood outside. This did come into our room (235) when the A/c was on. Move the smokers and you won't have a problem!

Dined in restuarant. Service excellent and very friendly staff. It was busy with a wedding and coach party in but they managed to keep up the standard of service. Food was of good quality and very pleasant with a variety of options. Personally I found the A La Carte menu to be a little pricey as was the wine but I guess this is to be expected.
Breakfast on both days was varied and well presented. Taste and choice were good. Could be a little hotter from the cooked buffet.

Treated ourselves to afternoon tea. Well worth treating yourselves. You will not leave hungry!

Well done Holiday Inn. All in all a great hotel and all the better for being fairly new. Good location for Winchester and surrounding areas but you would need a car or transport.

If travelling to Winchester please use the South Park and Ride. Again newly built and was fantastic value with many parking spaces, toilet facilities and regular shuttle bus to a convenient town centre drop off. Takes the hassle out of trying to find a parking space in town.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2011

Dear happywandererEssex,

What a fabulous review, thank you! We have been open just over a year now and still love our fantastic hotel, which as you say is so spacious!
We are delighted that you enjoyed our rossetted restaurant, the only Holiday Inn in England and Wales with one.
I have passed on your comments to the team and once again thank you.
Look forward to seeing you when you return,
Kind regards

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Fire Alarm went off at 0320 hrs today …... Holiday Inn Winchester.

No staff was seen until everyone had walked around the hotel and back to the main entrance..... where ‘Brian’, the duty manager told us "only a false alarm!"

I had a bad feeling this was a drill or at least was "expected".

I questioned Brian and he said it was a false alarm and was due to some dodgy sensor. I then questioned why a Fire Appliance hadn't arrived. Brian said he phoned to alert them that this was a false alarm. In my experience the Fire Appliance would still have arrived. This confirmed my bad feeling that this "false alarm" was expected or planned.

I spoke to Elizabeth on the desk whilst checking out (around 1030 hrs ...... should have checked out at 0800 hrs but my family were shattered after not having a decent sleep - the whole point of checking into this hotel in the first place!). Elizabeth read out the same lines of the story told by Brian. I asked again to speak to the general manager Siobhan (a name given to me by Brian when I asked him at 3 in the morning). Elizabeth said she wasn't here but I could have her card. I then called the number on the card and Sharon on the desk picked up my call...... after she noticed the caller was standing in front of her she went into the back office and out came Elizabeth again! Elizabeth said that Siobhan was in a meeting and was unavailable (talking about the events of last night). Fantastic Customer Care approach that! Surely any decent, well trained manger would have taken a couple of minutes out to talk to me – especially as her meeting was related to my complaint! Went outside to make a phone call to a senior fire officer related to me and spotted Siobhan and others having a good chinwag. I doubt Customer Care when on the agenda! I think this bunch needs some serious education on that front.

All in all a very bad experience (supported by others I spoke to last night and this morning). Zero out of ten for customer focus / care.

Holiday Inn is OFF my list of hotels to visit or recommend ….. forever.

Thanks for an incredibly bad experience – Holiday Inn Winchester

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Holiday Inn Winchester
3  Thank ggmanalive
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2011

Dear ggmanalive,

As you are aware from the correspondence you have had with Holiday Inn, in no way whatsoever would we deliberately activate the alarms in the middle of the night. The sensor has since been found to be faulty and has been replaced in liason with our fire support consultants. However, once activated the alarm did go into full evacuation mode. The evacuation plans, which have been agreed as per Holiday Inn standards and been passed by our local fire service, state a full evacuation when the alarm is activated at night. Again I know Brian tried to reassure you that it was not a drill or planned but a genuine incident, which I appreciate is difficult to accept when you have been disturbed.
I know that you raised your concerns with many of my team members who again stressed that all procedures had been followed including calling the fire brigade.
Unfortunately I was In a meeting and although I always try to be accessible it is not always possible.
I am again sorry for the inconvience however, I am sure you will agree that the safety of our guests always comes first.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Although I read all the reviews on here, it’s the first time I have really wanted to write something. I stay all over the country and can truly say what faultless service I have received at this hotel. From the wonderful team on reception, who nothing was too much trouble, to the bedrooms, amazingly clean, spacious, fab pictures, and fantastic showers. Dinner was sooo good. You must try the filet beef, it is better than many of the top class restaurants I have eaten at in London. The service was friendly and added to my whole experience.
Well done to all. It is so refreshing to see a hotel who cares about their customers!!! Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Dear Covtomy,

I am delighted that you had such an impressive stay. It is always great to see we are meeting customers expectations and exceeding them! I have passed your comments to the team, especially to Chef and the brigade.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

By default of another accommodation provider my group, a visiting choir to Winchester Cathedral, stayed at this Hotel. We could not have been more pleased. I dealt with one member of staff in the planning stages who was very helpful and constructive. During our stay the staff were all friendly, polite and helpful. I would add that. personally, this is my second stay at a Holiday Inn this year and the group have clearly got things absolutely right in this regard.

This hotel has open, spacious, airy and comfortable public areas.

We arranged a group meal at the Hotel on one evening and again everyone was very pleased with both the food and the service.

The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The only adverse comment I heard was that for some of the ladies, being shorter, they found the washbasins in the en-suite rather high.

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear Bouff,
Thank you for your great review! I am delighted to see that we managed your booking from start to finish to your satisfaction and that your stay was also so impressive.
Thank you to you and your group, the team had great fun looking after you all!
I hope we will see you back in the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed 25 May 2011

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting winchester and Beaulieu. I had booked the hotel on the back of the great review on here and we were not disappointed.

The room was very spacious and new and there was a choice of soft or firm pillows. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and organised.

The hotel itself is about a 5 minute drive from the centre of Winchester and we took a taxi into town in the evening which cost about £8 there and about £10 back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2011

Dear CC025,

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much. I am delighted you have such a lovely stay. I have passed on your comments to the team and look forward to seeing you here again at the hotel!.

Reviewed 23 May 2011

Reception area was good and good service. Room as OK, carpets a bit stained but not to bad. But DO NOT try to eat here. The bar service area is OK - not great but OK. The Restaurant is the worse we have ever encountered. Booked a table and at table on time ordering a bottle of wine and two glasses of water. 30 minutes later some 'waiter' turned up and asked if we'd like to order drinks and / or food! We had kids with us and had been waiting (unlike the staff) so left and went for room service... Would have been better off eating the stained carpet. Room service was slow on top. If you want to sleep but not eat this is the place for you ;(

1  Thank Seen_my_T_shirt
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear Service,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. We were sincerely disappointed that your experince in our restuarant fell below our usual impeccable standards.

As per my correspondence with you I am investigating the matter.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 May 2011

The hotel is really modern and has a clean airy feel. The staff could'nt have been more helpful and even let us check in at 10am, to get changed for the wedding we were attending.
The breakfast was first class and the service was again good.
The only negative I could say about the hotel is its location, it is a good couple of miles out of Winchester and does mean a drive or a £5 taxi ride into the town centre, however we knew that before we arrived, so it was'nt a problem.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HerefordWhites
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2011

Dear HereFord,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay> it is great to see we are meeting and exceeding our customers expectations!