“Posh Holiday Inn”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North West UK
“Posh Holiday Inn”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed for one night in their suite room with a baby. Chose the suite so we could have a meal/ evening in the room whilst our daughter slept quietly. This worked well the room was huge and strangly overlooks the main reception. Everything was as described including extras which is relaxing. Booked early and paid a fair price x room service good and staff helpful. Only slight problem was no black out curtains and bedroom has large windows that overlook front door ( but we had emergency black out we take away when traveling with our baby so used that) no sound despite being over reception and very nice bathroom sitting area and large bed x would recommend for something a bit special if your need to stay in that area.

• Stayed July 2011
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Mrs EEEEE,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. The suite is as popular as ever with our guests for the space as you mentioned. I am thrilled that you found our team so helpful.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Regards

Siobhan Thomasson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Slovak first
England
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel looks good and has a lot of modern features with a free car park. However at check-in I was treated to sullen faces and arrogance beyond belief. Apparently - according to the guy behind the desk "this is not a Holiday Inn. Look around you, we are much better than a Holiday Inn" and "we don't recognise the platinum rewards system because we aren't a regular Holiday Inn and you don't get the Priority Club package here." He was showing off to a trainee and trying to make us look stupid, which is hardly the way any guest should be treated. In the rooms, the sink is so high I need a step to reach it and the bath is one that slopes so that you can't anchor yourself in position and just sink under the water - very dangerous. We will never go back there again.

Room Tip: If you are short don't have a bath and make sure you take a step so you reach the sink.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank RainbowThanet
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our family of 4 stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in June 2011. The hotel was very new and had a great feel to it. Staff were lovely and really helpful. Our family room was very large and the bathroom was luxurious. The buffet breakfast was great. We were there on an advance booking deal and the value for money was tremendous. The only fault with it for us was that we were traveling by train and it was quite difficult to get to the hotel as the bus service to it from the train station finished at 7pm. Having said this - a short taxi ride to the hotel was as cheap for our family as catching the bus.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Vicki095,

We were thrilled to have you and your family at the hotel! I have passed on your lovely comments to all the team regarding how helpful you found them all.

Delighted you enjoyed the breakfast buffet which is excellent value.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the UK

Kind Regards

Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stay in a lot of hotels both in theUK and abroad and I have to say that the quality of the customer service in the UK is a below par at times. The front desk staff were fine, it was the bar and restuarant staff that let this hotel down considerably. I was made to stand and wait at the bar while the girl there made a phone call, then wandered slowly off to get something leaving the bar with no staff. She returned 5 minutes later to serve me! Yes she apologised, but on a busy evening do you really leave a bar unattended to go and get someone else crisps!

The second issue was breakfast. I had the audacity of coming down for breakfast at 9:10 when it finished at 9:30. I was put at a table in a completely separate section of the dinning room and told the buffet was over there. That was it, no good morning, nothing.

The breakfast, well I was disgusted and it would seem I wasnt the only one as I heard someone who had the cheek to come even later at me complaining as well. There was nothing left. I had the choice of cereal, or toast, or bacon or sausages and some grapefruit. Everything else had been cleaned out with lots of empty bowls and plates left where the food should have been and as it was late it wasnt topped up. If you say that breakfast is served until 9:30 then you have everything available until 9:30, maybe not in vast quantities but at least give your guests some choice.

Finally, why are modern hotels built so that you cannot open windows in the bedroom but have to put on air conditioning if you want to cool the room. Yes there are times when air con is lovely, but I would much prefer to have some fresh air when I am sleeping.

I normally like staying in Holiday Inn's as there are certain things like the choice of pillows that appeal to me and while in essence this is a nice hotel and the rooms are finished to an excellent standard, I will not be hurrying back as you can have all the appearances right, but if your staff dont know how to deal with customers than you will always fail to make a good impression.

1 Thank irish_gremlin
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear Irish_gremlin,

I was very disappointed to read your comments on your recent stay. We as a hotel pride ourselves on our excellent customer service, which I am sorry to say you did not receive on this occasion. I will be dealing with the relevant team matters and assure you that this will be dealt with.

If you wish to contact me directly siobhan.thomasson@hiwinchester.co.uk

thanks

Scottish Borders
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I would agree with the positive remarks that others have made. The hotel may look austere from the exterior pictures but the rooms are spacious clean and very comfortable and reception staff were pleasant and efficient. Booked through the Priority Club which meant two hours complimentary internet access. My one quibble concerns the booking. I was sure that the website search gave me B&B rates but the hotel said it was B only and I did not feel inclined to quibble. The distance out of Winchester is no problem as the country road into the city is quick and straight.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear HomingPigeon49,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It is always great to read and pass on to the team.

When booking via the Holiday Inn website the first rate it always shows is a room only rate, the second rate is a Bed and Breakfast rate. If you would prefer we have our in house reservations team who will always be happy to help.

Many Thanks

Oxford, England
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I know how hard it is to find a good hotel with service to match, but this one has it.

I stayed 3 times in July 2011, six nights in total.

At each check-in I was welcomed as a Priority Club Platinum member and given a complimentary upgrade to an executive room (unlike Holiday Inn Reading M4 Junction 10 where staff refuse to upgrade guests to executive rooms). Reception staff are efficient, friendly and serve with a smile.

Rooms are spotless with comfortable beds and good sound proofing. The TV's have flat screens, 24 hour internet and all movies can be purchased for £15. Bathroom towels are thicker than other Holiday Inn hotels.

I rarely eat dinner in hotels because of the poor value but here I had an excellent two course meal with a draft German beer for around £27, not too bad :-)

Housekeepers often annoy me by shouting in the corridors and slamming doors, but not here. They work quietly and do an excellent job.

The only possible grumble for leisure travellers is the location of the hotel, around 3 miles outside the city, but this did not bother me as I was staying on business and I prefer quiet hotels anyway.

If only all Holiday Inn's were like this......

Dear Lucky_Oxford,

What a fabulous review, thank you. The team work extremely hard to ensure our guests have a great stay which you have had on your numerous visits. I know it is not always possible to upgrade all of our Platinum memebrs and we try with our sleep packages to ensure that you are recognised as a valued customer.

We have taked note of our customer reviews and have changed our menu style, whilst keeping to local fresh produce and am delighted that you have enjoyed this.

Although 18 months old we constantly strive to manitain the same high standards from day one including cleanliness.

Thank you again for your comments, it was a pleasure to pass this to all team members especially housekeeping!

Kind Regards

Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I've travelled for business and have stayed at a lot of hotels world wide and really object to having to pay for internet access and all the hassles that go with it. So Holiday Inn gets a big thumbs down as it's a rip off to pay extra for such a service which is common place to be FREE. I'll be staying at the pubs/B&B's in Alresford down the road from now on.

Hotel is new - just Very dissorganized - yes they tried to double charge me for breakfast too.

1 Thank AdamLBowden
Dear AdamLBowden,

Thank you for your recent review, which I was disappointed to read. We actually offer half an hours complimantary wi fi for all our guests and additional wi fi benefits for our priority club members. The price for further wi fi is very competitive as we appreciate that more and more of our guests continue to work after they have checked in.

Regards