“Good for a short break.”

Holiday Inn Winchester
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
“Good for a short break.”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I have recently had a four night break with my Probus club at the Holiday Inn, Winchester. The situation is very central for local attractions, ie Salisbury, Beaullieu motor museum, New Forest etc. The hotel is very clean and airy and the staff are all polite and efficient. Our room was very spacious but we had no view. We were looking out straight onto a wall with windows just a few yards away. It may have been a hotel annex. However the maid kept it spotless. The breakfast was the best meal for us. It was really appetising. A great choice of food. The evening meal was adequate but nothing special. There was a choice of a meat, fish or vegetarian courses. I just wish this hotel had been within walking distance of the odd pub or the city centre because the drinks prices were astronomically high, especially to us northerners, £4.40 for a pint of lager and £4.20 for a pint of bass. Having said all this we had a good time and felt that we were well looked after.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you craigcarolpalmer for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate that for dinner the choices are limited however this was agreed by the organisers with the team.

It is great that you managed to see so much of Winchester and Hampshire on your visit, having lived in Yorkshire, I hope you agree although very different from Yorkshire, equally beautiful!

Siobhan Thomasson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Slovak first
Reading
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Right away from the City Centre so big tick in the box for external quietness. Lots of spaces in the large car park.

The hotel has a modern design, and maybe rather antiseptic in the public areas. Certainly plenty of room in the hotel lobby, but all the action is on the lower ground floor where the bar and restaurant can be found.

Again, all very corporate around a bustling central bar and it's the first time I've seen little TV screens on bar pumps. When we stayed, a large, but civilised, Christmas do was taking place in one of the function rooms. All well-contained and wouldn't have known it was going on save for the separators across the bar area.

We were actually booked into the Executive Room on the first floor, which is located off the beaten track in a staff access area. So internal quietness pretty much guaranteed too. A very impressive room once inside. Long but certainly not thin, with plenty of square footage. Everything that you could want e.g. minibar, safe, hot beverage facilities, 2 flat screen TV's, ample storage space and flat tops. dining table and chairs, ironing board, easy to operate room temperature, and plenty of seats. Only oddity was the tiny wardrobe with 7 coat hangers and one dressing gown
The duvet covered bed was amply comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless and a had a huge shower compartment which was efficient with simple controls
Slept very well indeed overnight, and not disturbed in the slightest.

Down to breakfast in the bar/restaurant area next morning. Hot and cold buffet seemed reasonably well stocked and ably maintained. Tea and coffee is delivered in flasks, but if you ask for a specialty tea you'll get a pot and teabags - hot tip!

But the overriding memory will be the staff - what a happy, jolly lot they were. Mostly young, but all seemed genuinely friendly and focussed. From Reception to the bar staff, to the restaurant team to the room servicers - all so keen and happy to engage. Not one grumpy disinterested misery spotted anywhere!

I'd certainly be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Executive room 333 highly recommended - it's big, quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
WOW, Thank you so much ElmParkRoyal,

What a fabulous review! We are very lucky with our suite, which is a beautiful room.
I just wanted to say thank you for your lovely comments regarding our team. I am so proud of them for always being upbeat, polite, professional, especially when we are so busy, knowing how important it is that each guest has a lovely stay. I have passed on your delightful comments to them all.

Many thanks again and I hope we see you back here soon.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed here for a meeting and the stay was perfect. I had forgotten my gloves in the lobby, on my return home realised I had left them I phoned the hotel and left a message for someone to contact me back. I had a guy I think called Mr Richardson the reception manager and he could not do more to help me and put them straight into the post for me. great guy!!!

room was big, clean and staff friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Massimo B
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thank you so much Massimo B for your lovely comments!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay including your meeting and that we were able to return your gloves. I have passed on your comments to our reception manager who said he was delighted to help!

We hope to see you again soon

canterbury
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just spent a weekend break at this hotel and it surpassed all our expectations . We came to meet up with family to see the Christmas markets? Don't be put off by the outside, it really does not do this hotel justice. The staff are so efficient and really friendly. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and the rooms were brilliant. The only downside to the room was that there was no instruction on how to set/reset the air con/heating control on the wall.

We had an evening meal in with our deal and it was excellent. Beautifully served and presented and quick service too. Lovely ambience in the restaurant and the waiting staff were so nice . Nothing was any trouble to them. We would love to return and perhaps visit the space centre and planetarium which is right next door.

The breakfast was superb and the choices were amazing. Lovely fresh fruit and yogurts, cooked breakfast with any choice of eggs as to how you wanted them cooked, poached, fried, scrambled, you name it . We even had pancakes to follow and they were freshly cooked and delicious. Lovely fresh pastries too if you could find room!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CanterburyBridge
CanterburyBridge,

You have given us a huge reputation to live up to!! Thank you. I am delighted that you had such a fabulous weekend and enjoyed our restaurant, which we are very proud of.

We Look forward to seeing you on your return

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Booking through email was super easy. We arrived late evening and check in was fast so kids didn't have to wait longer than necessary. Our room was great considering there were 5 of us and there was still enough room in the family room. Breakfast spread was delicious. Very near to Winchester town. Free wifi was a bonus. Staff very friendly and efficient. Left my cardigan behind and when I called up, Amy found it and arranged for it to be shipped internationally back to me. Can't beat that!
Not sure about the green light in the bathroom and the extra bed wasn't ready when we got to the room but overall a fabulous stay. My kids loved staying there too!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caron S
What a fantastic review! Thank you so much. I have passed on your fabulous review to the team to share.
I hope you all had a safe journey home.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We held our Christmas party at the hotel. The staff were brilliant and service was great, the food was lovely - great quality and a great night was had by all. Would definitely come back for another Christmas do.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank helen_j_8
helen_i_8

Thank you for such a wonderful review!! I am delighted that we have started your xmas celebrations with such a bang! Enjoy the rest of your Christmas.

solihull
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is a very large hotel, with a spacious lobby and public rooms, which was easy to find on the outskirts of Winchester, with plentiful parking. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful, my room was well appointed; a good size with everything I needed, including thank goodness real soap in the bathroom. My only gripe was the £3 charge added to the cost of a sandwich for room service and the fact the only option on offer at breakfast is a full English breakfast. I only wanted a juice, a coffee and a slice of toast and we agreed on a price of £8. If I stay here again I will give breakfast a miss and call in at a service station on route for a pack of sandwiches if I am likely to need room service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you eastlight 54 for your comments.

I have noted your comments regarding breakfast and room service and will be looking into these with the team.

We look forward to seeing you back here in the future.