“Towering sink”

Holiday Inn Winchester
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 August 2014

A modern hotel with generous public spaces. Our room was a reasonable size for a couple but with the put you up bed for our son, it became a bit tight.The bathroom was probably the smallest we've ever encountered. The toilet roll holder was located for a contortionist. There was generous shelving for toilet bags under the sink which was a rectangular bowl mounted on a work surface but the sink was so high my wife said that she felt she was five again. A nice feature was the low level green lighting under the vanity unit which allowed you to find your way in the middle of the night.The wardrobe was the smallest I've ever seen - I hand spanned it and by this rough measure it was only about 17 inches (about 43 cm) wide ! I went to come out of the bathroom but as the door opens outwards it jammed partly open because my wife had the wardrobe door open and she had to untangle them..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Reginald M
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you Reginald M for your comments after your recent stay.

When we do any refurbishment work in the hotel, sinks and wardrobes are top of the list! This was a genuine human error when the building was constructed, so please accept my apologises.

I am pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Siobhan Thomasson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We came in a group of 18 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful. We were really pleased to be upgraded to a suite and the bar staff were able to organise drinks in the room at short notice for us so we could all start the evening enjoying the luxury of the suite. The hotel is very modern but is warm and comfortable. The staff were very flexible in adding an extra bed in one room and ensuring a suitable disabled access room.

We had dinner in a function room and the staff managed to find us some decorations again at short notice. Nothing was too much trouble. The meal was lovely and the steaks beautifully medium rare even though they were serving 18 people at once. The chefs also prepared and puréed a meal for a disabled guest without any fuss. Everything was made very easy for us to relax and enjoy ourselves. Jessica, our function room waitress was lovely but was a little rushed off of her feet with our requests. She carried on smiling throughout a very long and busy evening.

Breakfast was fine but like other reviewers I would prefer to have pots of tea and jugs of coffee on the table so you don't need to find a waiter to ask for more drinks. The special order eggs (fried and poached eggs are cooked to order) took a very long time to arrive but there was plenty of pre-cooked food to choose from.

Overall we had a fantastic time and were very pleased with the level of service and quality of food and drink. We were offered a package rate which made the event amazingly good value. We would have no hesitation in holding another event here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

WOW! Thank you so much Amanda C for such an amazing review after your family dinner.

It was our pleasure to upgrade you as it was such a special event. It is great to see the team, especially jess dealt so brilliantly with all of your requests which made your evening and overnight stay so successful.

Many thanks again

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Pros – clean, comfortable, professional/courteous staff, free parking, free breakfast, room service food was excellent
Cons - none
Was an excellent stop on our way to Cornwall after a long flight from Canada to get over jet-lag and was doable from Heathrow Airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justine C

Stunning review! Thank you Justine C for such great comments after your stay with us.

We really do appreciate the time that you have taken to do this. I hope your trip to Cornwall was restful and you enjoyed a great trip home.

Thanks again

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on business. From check in to check out service was superb - much better than I expected! I also ate in the restaurant which turned out to be somewhat surprising. The standard of food was very good indeed and my steak was cooked exactly to my liking. My room seemed to have undergone a recent refurbishment and was clean and well appointed. I will certainly be back when in the area. Would certainly recommend to others.

Stayed: August 2014
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Many thanks blokeontour for your great review!

It is so good to read that we surpassed your expectations in all aspects especially our restaurant which we are very proud of.

It was even greater pleasure to read about our refurbished rooms, as they are in fact the original rooms which we keep clean and well maintained.

Thank you again and hope to see you when your next in the area.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here recently while attending a nearby wedding. The standard of customer service is what prompted me to write a review. Every single member of staff we came across was warm and welcoming and keen to ensure our needs were met. Although we had a couple of very minor niggles during our stay, they were dealt with promptly, efficiently and courteously to our complete satisfaction. The whole hotel was spotless and breakfast was very good. My sons were disappointed that the minimum age for the gym which was 18 but I know this is not uncommon. Other than that I have no criticisms and would happily recommend the hotel on customer service standards alone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

WOW! Thank you JWNottingham for such fantastic feedback!

We do really work hard to ensure everyone has a great stay, so it is lovely to read when we succeed on such a scale. I have passed on the comments to the team.

I hope we will see you on the next visit when you are in the area.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the second time as a stop-over on our way to Southampton to embark upon a cruise. It is conveniently situated just outside Winchester not far from one of the main roads but in a quiet location. Hotel is a a modern 4 storey building with large atrium. The Reception desk staff were extremely nice and helpful.

Bedroom and en suite bathroom were fine although the mattress was a bit 'tired' - luckily, so were we so it didn't prevent us sleeping. However, I do think hotels need to check their beds regularly.

Our fairly late arrival did not give us the chance to have dinner and our first visit to the dining room
was at breakfast. The dining room is downstairs from the atrium and hadn't changed much in appearance since our last visit. The breakfast was the biggest disappointment. The fresh fruit salad looked as if it had been there a long time. Also, I never like the tea being served from vacuum jugs and would rather have my own teapot as you can then refill your cup instantly without having to hang around until the waiter notices. The cooked food was up exciting and there were
only scrambled eggs, no fried ones. Premier Inns still hold the title for the best cooked breakfast, in our opinion!

Overall, a good place to spend a night two, with a good car park. We would definitely stay there again next time we go on a cruise.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front on the third floor but we would think all the rooms are very similar. Hote...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Odersfelt not only for your review but also visiting us again.

We are regularly checking our mattresses so if you could let me know which room you stayed in I would like to have that checked again. If you could let me know at info@hiwinchester.co.uk.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast. I have spoken to our chef regarding fruit salad and this is being addressed. Fried eggs as well as other types of eggs are available at all times by ordering with the restaurant team so they are cooked fresh and how you like them.

I hope you had a fantastic cruise and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a purpose built hotel built within the last 5 years. For a large gathering it is ideal. Approx. 3 miles out of Winchester ( you need transport to get there) it has plenty of car parking which is rare in Winchester. On hot summer day the lunch I attended in a comfortable air conditioned room was a godsend. The food was not bad either and the service good.Not all places are good with groups.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you Katherine186300 for such a great review after your recent visit with us.

I do appreciate the time you have taken and will pass on your comments to the team.

We have had some wonderful feedback from your group which has been so lovely.

We hope to see you again soon