“Didn't even get to stay there!-72yr olds army reunion almost ruined!”

Mrs. LTB at The Coach House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchester
Mrs. LTB at The Coach House
Ranked #29 of 54 Winchester B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Didn't even get to stay there!-72yr olds army reunion almost ruined!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I booked here in Feb 2014 for a visit on 13/7/2014 for the Royal Green Jackets reunion. I had already booked a different B+B in July 2013,however, in February they had to cancel our booking due to personal circumstances so they gave us details of other local B+B's and unfortunately for us The Coach House was the only one with vacancies!. I had rang Mary at the start of July to confirm our booking and I explained to her we would be arriving about 9am and I asked if we were able to leave the cars at the property(the rooms would be ready at 3pm) whilst we went into Winchester, then we would check in later. She confirmed this would be fine. The night before our visit I rang Mary again to confirm the time we would be there and she then refused to allow us to park on her property until our rooms were ready as it would upset her current guests(who had to leave at 10am!!). She then told us we couldn't park on her road either and we would have to park in Winchester and come back later! Our party were so annoyed that we ended up booking a room at the Premier Inn in Basingstoke(who were so helpful) and getting the train to Winchester instead. I can't believe that this woman nearly ruined an annual trip for my 72yr old dad to meet up with his army pals. I had read the reviews after I had booked in but was prepared to give the place a go anyway. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I do think it's time Mary retired!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank rachel h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Beaminster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This really was the most bizarre B&B experience!
Be sure to read all the 1-star and 2-star reviews before you book!
We clearly got off to a bad start by arriving later than planned (due to circumstances beyond our control) and our subsequent reception and overall experience was exactly as described in previous 1-star reviews.
The house is lovely and Mary clearly wants to keep it that way, so be prepared for an eccentric mix of charm, hostility and petty rules.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jill T
Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

There is no knocking the great location. It is near to parkland and only a little to the South of this great city. The room I had was clean yet sparse with no wardrobe, tea/coffee, drinking glasses or TV. There was also no real breakfast choice other than scrambled eggs which didn't really excite me. At the stated price this was very poor. The hostess does exhibit some strange behaviour around all the issues listed in most of the other negative reviews. Namely the shoe/carpet rule. The complex front door locking arrangements. Dressing down regarding damp towels on beds. Front door keys attached to room keys. For this I am afraid it is one out of five. My advice please change and don't under estimate the power of Tripadvisor. Either that or go on Channel Four's Three in a bed and amuse the rest of the population.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Phantom1125
Stamford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I agree with every word that Michael J has written - we happened to have booked in for the same evening and met at breakfast where we exchanged our views on this appalling place. The rude comments started the minute we arrived and continued until we left. Why is this women trying to run a B & B when it is obvious she loathes her fellow human beings. As to cleanliness - when was a cobweb brush last used in our bedroom and where on earth had she acquired such a tatty old dilapidated wardrobe which contained her personal clothes? Being told to walk without shoes on the horrendous carpet was like walking on a stony beach. Breakfast was not much better. By the way she disappeared whilst we were eating and it was obvious she had been in our bedroom. We had also noticed this when we returned back to the house on the previous evening. It is the first time we have been on our hands and knees to reach the cereals which were in the bottom of a cupboard. With very little choice and with the landlady hovering around the table, breakfast was an unpleasant experience. When we tried to leave she accused my husband of 'gassing' on the driveway and keeping her waiting for payment. Now thereby hangs a tale.There are no card facilities so we had to go to the nearest Cashpoint machine. She wanted to know the exact time we would be returning with the money. On our return we were greeted with 'Oh you have come back then - not many people do.' Why am I not surprised. She should be paying her guests to stay there. We are in our seventies, have travelled the world and stayed in dozens of B&Bs so we have a wealth of experience. This place is by far the worst we have ever stayed and at £100 per night is daylight robbery. To anyone reading these comments please take them seriously. STAY THERE AT YOUR PERIL!!!!.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Margaret H H
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is by far the worst B & B experience I have ever had.
It isn't that the house or rooms are not nice. They are. The house is immaculate.
But I have never felt so unwanted in any accommodation that I have previously stayed at.

I don't even know where to start.
Being given intricate instructions on how to use a door lock that will apparently lock the entire house.
Or being screamed at, for wearing shoes inside.

Our room was very neat and tidy, but didn't have any Tea or Coffee making facilities, a TV, Wardrobe or chair to sit on.

I was reprimanded over breakfast for leaving a damp towel on my bed and told by the owner that she was going to have to cancel tonight's guests, because the bed was wet through. This was madness!

In the end I just wanted to leave.

I feel cheated and conned, because this was an expensive place to stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael J
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very nice house and room, yet my worst B&B experience ever. During our two days in the Coach House the hostess reprimanded me that I was rolling our bag to the room, so that I had to carry them (I have back problems), talk too loud, does not take proper turns when talking together with my wife, wanted to return to our room in the middle of the day ("So you ask me to stay home all day! Well, I'll stay!" - for some reason we were not given the entrance keys), and made many other small comments you should not expect as a guest. Frankly, the hostess was very helpful in accommodating our stay, but we did not feel hospitality.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy K
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had work in Winchester so a last minute booking was made by my wife, well i was absolutely blown away by The Coach House it's setting outside and when you got inside that also was of a very high outstanding quality the landlady greeted me so warmly and made me feel very very welcome the cleanliness was one of the best i have stayed in (and i have stayed in a few) the double room i had was very elegant with all the comfort,s of home, and will be returning with my wife for a romantic get away, the breakfast was delicious with a good selection to choose from, definitely worth a visit, the cost was much less (according to my wife) than a lot of the other place,s she looked at, but for what you get it is "Absolutely Fabulous. Thank you Maam L P

Room Tip: All the room,s are of equal quality.