“Lovely hotel for afternoon tea, excellent service and food”

Lainston House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel for afternoon tea, excellent service and food”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have been here for afternoon tea twice- once with a friend and once for my hen do and it was lovely both times. The staff were friendly, polite and helpful, the hotel itself is beautiful and the food was excellent. It did take quite a long time to come but it was worth the wait and far more than we could manage to eat. For the experience the price is very reasonable and we had a lovely time

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Her13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We went to this beautiful hotel and restaurant for Sunday lunch. From the moment we arrived we were looked after. Our car was parked for us which was very welcome as it was raining and then we were led into the beautiful cedar room for a pre-dinner drink. Our lunch was in the Avenue Restaurant with beautiful views if the garden. Lunch was superb, the staff were lovely and the warm friendly atmosphere made it a lovely experience. We will definitely be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie T
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Julie T,
Thank you for your visit for Sunday Lunch and for posting this great review! I hope you had the opportunity to watch our falconer's display before lunch.

We are really proud to see that you had an enjoyable time and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Woburn Sands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was a Christmas break we hope to repeat, our welcome was warm and friendly (in spite of a power cut as a result of bad weather), our room was perfect, food was good and throughout the three days we were treated extremely well. There were some organised activities, participation all optional, and transport laid on for midnight mass at Winchester Cathedral for those wishing to attend. Christmas in hotels can sometimes feel like a group of people with nowhere elso to go but this really felt like a big house party.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear maur2043630,
Thank you for your review of Lainston House and for sharing this magical Christmas period with us. The blackout did indeed threw some challenges, but as a fellow guest put it - better to be without power at Lainston than at Home! A true 17th century experience for a short while.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the programme and the food that Olly and the kitchen team prepared for all.

We look forward to welcome you back next year (if not earlier!)

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was very much looking forward to my stay at the Lainston House Hotel.
Our arrival was fantastic, the grounds the hotel is set in are beautiful even through the horrid rain. The entrance to the hotel is in a small driveway/courtyard. It was a stunning entrance to the hotel and highlighted the beauty of the building.
We had a lovely man come and valet our car away and handed us an umbrella to keep away the rain.
Inside the hotel, we were told our room wasn't ready, but then 30 seconds later it was. Which was a bit comical. Our suitcases were taken to our room and the porter explained the hotel facilities on the way to the room.
Once in our room we were hit by the cold. My god was it cold! The heating was on the lowest setting, and this is mid winter, with icy rain and lots of wind. One of the windows, which were period features, wouldn't close properly, so we had a draft coming in the whole time. So we ended up staying in our coats trying to keep warm. Which is not what you expect after checking into a 5 star hotel! I could forgive the window as this is an old building, but it would have been nice to have heated the room before we had arrived.
Luckily for us the radiator valves are an easy fix, so we turned them both up to the highest setting and then waited!
My next gripe was the smell. It was like being in a carpet shop. The smell of new carpet or carpet cleaner actually kept me awake, as weird as that sounds, but it was so strong! I actually came home smelling of it. I am a bit fussy when it comes to strong chemical/perfume smells though, so this could be me making a mountain out of nothing.

Our room was very nice. We had an incredibly large bed, that could have slept 4 people! 2 sitting chairs a desk and beautiful old furniture that set the room off and the period of the hotel beautifully.
The bathroom wasn't decorated to my taste, but was very good. A large bath for 2 with 2 sloped edges, so you could sit at either end with noone getting the horrid taps on their back! There were jets in the bath, we didn't use these though.
Also in the bathroom were 2 sinks, mirrors, toilet and bidet (eek) and a huge walk in shower.
Outside our window was a beautiful little garden.

This didn't really bother me so much, but there was a lot of dust in the room. I thought my husbands drink was leaking onto one of the old wooden bed side tables,so went over to check and discovered the "water" wasn't water, but the clean bit, and the rest was covered in a very, very thick layer of dust. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.
My bedding had a tear on it, which again I'd rather have than it go to waste, but still this is 5 star!

We had afternoon tea, which was excellent. The staff made sure to check which food we would like included after we asked if the sandwiches could be vegetarian. The sandwiches were divine as were the scones. We very much enjoyed the atmosphere in the beautiful room. Couldn't recommend that highly enough.

We were at the hotel for a private party. We're used to getting the raw end of the deal for our food, but usually manage to eat whatever offering is given to us. But it was not the case here. We had a choice of 1 thing for starter and 1 thing for main. If you didn't like the choice of 1, you had to have it as they would not budge and make something else. Yes I know this is a busy function, so farting around for a few people is just extra work, but it would have been nice none the less to offer 2 choices on at least one of the courses.

The grounds looked stunning I wish we could have explored, but the weather was against us.

Things to improve:
Maybe a mirror for make up. Although the room had plenty of mirrors, the lighting around them either made it impossible to apply make up or I was too far away, so couldn't really see what I was doing.
More vegetarian choice for your main meals at functions. The afternoon tea was perfect, so please extend this to the evening meals.
Heating the room before guests arrive.
2 Dressing gowns in the room? We only had 1.

All in all, the hotel was beautiful. The staff were incredibly friendly.

Room Tip: We stayed in Jasmine. Which was on the way to the function room. So you had lots of people walking p...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Vxxy21,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Lainston House. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the teams service and accommodation, but obviously disappointed to hear about the shortcomings experienced.

Jasmine has indeed been recently refurbished and I wonder whether the team had the opportunity to look into the issues you encountered after you checked in so they could have been resolved. It seems by reading your comments that the room may have not been quite ready and I am sure an alternative could have been offered. I will share your comments with the Front of House team to ensure that communication with housekeeping resumes to the usual levels.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed afternoon tea before attending the private function. Menus are usually discussed with function organisers with suitable alternatives provided for any guest with particular dietary requirements.

I hope to being able to welcome you back in the not too distant future so you can enjoy again and maybe make the most of the grounds.

Once again, thank you for your comments

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Brought refurbishment works forward in the Dawley Barn and completely changed it's character without any notice or consultation. The work was supposed to take place in January however they decided to carry it out immediately prior to our wedding. The barn has gone from a traditional and tasteful classic wedding venue to the twenty first century overnight and they have ripped the heart out of it's character, not to mention me in the process!

Stayed December 2013
12 Thank IainHannaway
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Having already visited Lainston last year with a friend, I wanted to come back this year with my other half so he could experience the christmas market in Winchester. We booked the stop and shop xmas break and it was the most perfect time. The staff were very attentive and the food was delicious. Our room (Buddleia) was so spacious and comfortable we had to drag ourselves away. We borrowed wellies after a delicious cooked breakfast and braved the elements to walk in the grounds. Lainston is a luxury but in my case an essential too - I loved it and we will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Buddleia is perfect
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Droid0162
Thank you for your great review. I am delighted to see that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our special rate to visit the wonderful Christmas market in Winchester. A great opportunity to be ready for Christmas indeed.

It is really pleasing to read that you found Buddleia to be spacious and comfy, the food delicious and the team were able to assist you during your break. A walk around the grounds is always recommended, specially after a hearty breakfast.

It'll be my pleasure to share your feedback with the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

A friend and I stayed here on a Saturday night as Winchester is a central meeting point and having SLH membership, we enjoy the upgraded rooms as part of the deal.

We arrived around 13:30 and although our room was not ready, this wasn't a major issue for us as we intended to explore Winchester anyway and the reception staff were happy to look after our bags, which were waiting in our room on our return. The room (in the main house) was lovely, although very traditionally decorated and so maybe not to everyone's tastes and the rain-bar/rainfall shower was amazing - although careful on the (heated) tile floor after, as the extractor fan sucks water droplets out and soaks the floor regardless of a bathmat! One of the best showers ever however and so not a low point at all so long as you're careful! There was a wedding on the weekend we were there, however if we hadn't have seen guests from time to time, we wouldn't have known and weren't disturbed at all.

The bar was lovely and although you do wait for quite a long time to be served, the barman was very friendly and remembered our room name for our entire stay. The cocktails are potent and on the whole very good. We ate dinner in the Avenue restaurant and enjoyed every bite. Portions, yes, they are tiny to look at, however by the end of three courses you are more than satisfied and so I see no reason to make them larger. Breakfast, again, I agree that it does take a long time to arrive and I would probably object to paying £21 each for it, however it was included in our room rate and we had no real complaints.

We had booked an 'art of falconry' experience for Sunday (wellies are provided to borrow from the hotel) which didn't get off to a great start as although the experience is supposed to be 2hrs long, we were informed at the start that we would stop after 1.5hrs as there was a falconry display on. All very well you may think, however the display is free and we had paid £95 each for the falconry 2hrs and so were a little put out from the start. The birds were somewhat spooked and therefore non-compliant due to other guests walking around the area (maybe it should be closed off when there is a private display inside?) and so in reality we probably only achieved 30-45mins of the 2 hour slot. Billy the falconer did recognise this however and gave us his number to arrange a complimentary owl walk another time by way of apology which was appreciated.

Afternoon tea was included in our package, however it was one of the best that either of us have had and I would happily have paid for it if it wasn't included.

All in all, we had a really good weekend and although there were negative points, staff went out of their way to put them right. Maybe a true indicator of how much we enjoyed the weekend is that on the day of our departure, we booked to stay again on the same package and are very much looking forward to our return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear ST186394,
Thank you for your very detailed review of your experience at Lainston House. I am really pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable experience that we will be welcoming you back soon.

Our Falconry experiences are some of the many leisure activities we offer and I was disappointed to hear that your time with Billy and the birds was shortened and disrupted. Billy has shared your feedback and following your comments we have modified the booking procedure to ensure that the issues you experiences are not repeated in the future.

It is also rewarding to hear that you enjoyed the food for breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner - a fully complete Lainston experience that I would be delighted to share with the team. Thank you for your endorsement.

Looking forward to your next visit.