“Embarrassed for them”

Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
“Embarrassed for them”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

After three tries at getting key card to open our room door it opened only to contain another guest!!! Reception didn't even apologise, just told us another receptionist had given us wrong room number. Weird stale biscuits in room. Room miles from reception in 'new wing' that is not like the quaint pictures. Location is really all that this place had. Ground floor rooms overlooked by garden so no privacy unless you close curtains. VERY over priced! Not much better than premier inn. Is very central, so it gets points for being dry and well located.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bingohols
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Bingohols,

Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay, I have reviewed your comments with the Reception Manager and I regret that an error by one of our trainee receptionists caused this issue, it is most unusual for any of my staff not to apologise if any error has been made.

We supply home made cookies in the upgraded rooms and these are freshly baked daily and are usually commented upon favourably by our guests, the only other biscuits in the room are the wrapped shortbreads with the tea & coffee making facilities so I not entirely clear which you found weird or stale?

I note your comments in respect of the rooms and pricing, we have rooms located nearer to reception had this been requested and our pricing is comparable with similar Hotels in the town centre.

Once again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and we will of course use your feedback to carry our corrective training where appropriate.

Louis Rigney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Nice central location nice modern room although mine needed a net as it was large and overlooked by houses meaning when inside I had to live in a twilight world of false light or shock the neighbours. Free wi fi and nice enough breakfast. I ate dinner twice the cob salad was nice as was the Welsh earring starter stand out was the belly pork. Staff were great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Iantoes,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and that you particularly enjoyed the food and that the staff were great.

I will pass your comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I held my baby shower at the hotel on Sunday 18th May and couldn't have been happier with the service, food and general event!
I decided to go for afternoon tea for food and it was beautiful. Plenty of sandwiches and cakes provided and the scones were the biggest I had scene and tasted great!
I cannot fault the staff either. From the looks of things they had a big tour group in but were so attentive to us and made sure we were well looked after.
Overall the Winchester Royal made my baby shower very special and I am already planning my next event with them! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Rachael2424,

Thank your for your review and congratulations on your impending arrival! I am delighted that the team looked after you so well and that you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea, I will pass on your feedback to everyone concerned.

We look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Oh dear!! This hotel tries so hard to meet the grade but fails at every turn. When we arrived there was a problem charging bar and restaurant items to our rooms as the bar computer did not talk to reception.My room was on the ground floor overlooking the car park and, worse, overlooked by some scummy flats thereby preventing my opening the curtains. The bathroom was the size of a wardrobe and when I dropped the soap in the 1m x 1m shower recess I had to open the shower door to pick it up and the bathroom flooded. A fellow traveller had no hot water. A remnant of a tissue near the head of my bed was there when I arrived and remained for the duration of my stay. I will be interested to see if the floor has been cleaned when the next person reviews as there was no evidence of it being cleaned while I was there. On the second night everyone had a malfunction of the electronic key and had to return to reception to have their keys recharged. Breakfast was cold and the eggs hard and the staff was unable to cope with the influx of another group at breakfast. Otherwise...OK.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 211 or any overlooking the carpark. The best rooms are upstairs overlooking the garden. D...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia F
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Doctortrish47,

Thank you for your review, firstly may I offer my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay. There was a technical fault with our property management system which affected both the room charges and electronic locks for two short periods of time over a 24 period, thankfully our technical support were able to rectify this and I regret that this impacted on our service to you.

Our housekeeping standards are normally very high as you wil no doubt see from the vast majority of our reviews but I fully appreciate that this was not acceptable on this occasion and I will certainly review this with the cleaning company that we engage at the Hotel.

I cannot comment on your mention of there being a lack of hot water from another guest as we had no complaints of this nature made to us during your stay?

I am of course disappointed to hear your comments regarding breakfast as this is normally very well received and I will of course review your feedback with the Operations team and the Chef on duty.

Please rest assured that we take all our feedback very seriously and we will use this to carry out corrective training where appropriate. We would have welcomed the opportunity to try and rectify any concerns raised with us during your stay but I fully appreciate that not everyone wishes to do so at the time and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as it will allow us to offer an improved service for our future guests.

Once again please accept my apologies and I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to the UK.

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked approx 22 rooms over the Bank Holiday period for my daughters wedding which was held in town.Overall we had a great stay a few minor hiccups but were all eventually sorted out.
Rooms very comfortable and clean and a excellent breakfast and nice a garden to sit in when the sun is shining.This is a great location for town and some great restaurants near by.
Would definetly stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear PeterL,

Thank you for your review, I pleased that we were able to accommodate your party for your daughter's wedding in Winchester and that you found the rooms comfortable and breakfast excellent.

It is gratifying to note that any "minor hiccups" brought to our attention at the time were able to be quickly rectified, we fully accept that we may not "get it right" 100% of the time but we will always try everything in our power to make it right as soon as it is brought to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Really charming little hotel. Staff are friendly.

Parking is at a premium in the car park but this is made clear on the website.

Rooms are nice and clean.

There seemed to be an odd smell in the corridor of the wing I was staying in. Staff were clearly aware as there was a heavy perfume smell in an attempt to mask the problem. I'm sure it's being looked at.

I didn't eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast which was good. Only complaint would be that when taking the metal lids off the hot food items there's no where to put the lid down! Watch as guests try to balance the lid on the next tray over.

Wi-Fi was dreadfully slow.

Would I stay again? Yes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear John W,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback and I apologise that there was an odour issue during your stay which was caused by a blocked waterpipe and this has now been fully repaired, I am pleased that you found our location great, rooms clean and our staff friendly.

I will of course review your observations with the team to see where any improvements can be made.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked the Royal because my wife and I had stayed there many times over the years and of its very central location with walled car park. Unfortunately, I booked through "Booking.com" which I didn't realise booked rooms only. When I printed out the confirmation it said "No meal deal" ( a dreadful Americanism which sounds like Tesco or MacDonalds!). I took that to mean no evening dinner, but it actually meant "no breakfast". Never ever booked a hotel room on that basis before, and will never use that agency again because they did not allow me to cancel.
The Duty Manager, John was sympathetic and agreed breakfast at half price.
We had a very pleasant room on the first floor (107) overlooking the rear garden. It was quite spacious and had recently been refurbished, as had most of the hotel.
On the first night we dined at ASK in the city. We had hoped to dine in the hotel on our actual anniversary on the Saturday, but were informed that as there was a wedding reception that evening.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the rear garden is quiet with a beautiful view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank perkypolecat
Dear Perkypolecat,

Thank you for your review, I note your comments regarding Booking.com and whilst this has never previously been raised as an issue I will monitor the confirmations with them to ensure that when booked on a "room only" status that it is made fully clear to our guests. I am pleased to hear that as valued clients of the Hotel that John made the offer of half price breakfast to you as a gesture of goodwill.

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to dine with us that evening (I do believe we were not actually closed but only the peak booking times had been restricted due to the wedding party dining in the restaurant) and perhaps on your next visit you will be able to take dinner with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future and congratulations on your recent wedding anniversary.