“Nice enough but falls short”

Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice enough but falls short”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This place looks great online, but most of the rooms are in a new wing that is excruciatingly corporate in style. Everything is modern, yet a tad bland. The corridors to the rooms were often full of cleaning gear, making the place seem eternally unkept. Unfortunately for us, there was a large wedding reception at the hotel when we stayed and the staff seemed preoccupied with them pretty much. Whilst they advertise that they have wifi, it did not work in our room and I suspect it would not work in any of the rooms down the end of the modern wing. It did work in the lounge and the garden, but these were swamped with the wedding party and we could not concentrate. In any case, why should we have to sit in the garden at night to use the internet! The hotel has parking, but at GBP10 we think it is a bit steep on top of the room price, and breakfast is much better value over in the town. All up we found the place OK, but not special and Winchester warrants a special place to stay in because it is a fabulous town.

Room Tip: If you want or need wifi check it will actually work in the room you are going to stay in. Also, av...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Goldrichie,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you had dificulties with internet access in the newer part of the wing we are in the process of updating our system to provide a better service in this area. I regret to note that you found this part of the Hotel "excrutiatingly corporate" in style, these rooms are indeed favoured by our corporate client base aswell as many other guests. May I recommend on your next visit requesting one of the feature rooms in the main part of the original 16th Century building? They do carry a slight premium in room rate but they be more to your taste? Our car-parking charges are in line with our competitor Hotels in the town centre.

As a Hotel we are a business that has to cater to guests from all walks of life which includes weddings and a large number of this party were also residents in the Hotel and I am sorry to hear that their use of the gardens detracted from your stay.

Thank you for your feedback.

Louis Rigney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here for business purely due to its location. Having seen reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. When I arrived and negotiated the car park (bit tight) I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Check-in was not so good the staff were very brief providing little or no information. Didn't check where I'd parked, as if I needed a hand, told about facilities or breakfast. Just sign here and here is your room key.

Walked to my room in the Garden Wing (bit of a walk) and pleasantly surprised by the room. Nice overlooking the garden and good size. All the features you'd want. Had a great nights sleep.

Breakfast was same staff attitude no more information than they absolutely had to give you. The food was okay but didn't excite and was certainly not the best by a long way.

Check out was efficient but again abrupt and I had to ask about car parking etc.

I'd definitely stay here again as the hotel and location are good. I'll survive the staff.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear PPH,

Thank your for review, I am sorry to hear that our staff were not as enthused as they should be, our reception have a number of key criteria that they are always required to ask on check in and they are normally very good at dealing with all types of guests and conversing whilst requesting this information and providing relevant information to you on check in. I am again sorry to hear that the breakfast team did not give you further information either albeit I am not entirely clear what you may have been asking?

Thank you for your feedback and we will of course use this to carry out corrective training where appropriate, if you would like to email me at gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk prior to your next visit I will be pleased to meet with you to discuss your observations in more detail?

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

York
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent one night here in a room in the modern hotel annexe overlooking the garden.The room was comfortable,clean and quite large. Bedroom doors impossible to close quietly.Breakfast good with lots of choice .Pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on top floor overlooking the garden
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank YorkJean
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear YorkJean,

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I attended a wedding here. The staff were friendly and efficient at all times. At both the wedding breakfast and the buffet during the evening party the food was excellent. Everything ran very smoothly which led to an enjoyable, happy occassion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Valashby2,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed the Wedding and that our staff were friendly and efficient, we pride ourselves on delivering a high level of customer service and in particular our reputation for weddings is earned by our loyal team and the quality and range of food on offer.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

After three tries at getting key card to open our room door it opened only to contain another guest!!! Reception didn't even apologise, just told us another receptionist had given us wrong room number. Weird stale biscuits in room. Room miles from reception in 'new wing' that is not like the quaint pictures. Location is really all that this place had. Ground floor rooms overlooked by garden so no privacy unless you close curtains. VERY over priced! Not much better than premier inn. Is very central, so it gets points for being dry and well located.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bingohols
Dear Bingohols,

Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay, I have reviewed your comments with the Reception Manager and I regret that an error by one of our trainee receptionists caused this issue, it is most unusual for any of my staff not to apologise if any error has been made.

We supply home made cookies in the upgraded rooms and these are freshly baked daily and are usually commented upon favourably by our guests, the only other biscuits in the room are the wrapped shortbreads with the tea & coffee making facilities so I not entirely clear which you found weird or stale?

I note your comments in respect of the rooms and pricing, we have rooms located nearer to reception had this been requested and our pricing is comparable with similar Hotels in the town centre.

Once again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and we will of course use your feedback to carry our corrective training where appropriate.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Nice central location nice modern room although mine needed a net as it was large and overlooked by houses meaning when inside I had to live in a twilight world of false light or shock the neighbours. Free wi fi and nice enough breakfast. I ate dinner twice the cob salad was nice as was the Welsh earring starter stand out was the belly pork. Staff were great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Iantoes,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and that you particularly enjoyed the food and that the staff were great.

I will pass your comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I held my baby shower at the hotel on Sunday 18th May and couldn't have been happier with the service, food and general event!
I decided to go for afternoon tea for food and it was beautiful. Plenty of sandwiches and cakes provided and the scones were the biggest I had scene and tasted great!
I cannot fault the staff either. From the looks of things they had a big tour group in but were so attentive to us and made sure we were well looked after.
Overall the Winchester Royal made my baby shower very special and I am already planning my next event with them! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Rachael2424,

Thank your for your review and congratulations on your impending arrival! I am delighted that the team looked after you so well and that you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea, I will pass on your feedback to everyone concerned.

We look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.