“Wonderful service”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
New Forest, United Kingdom
“Wonderful service”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have just organised a two day conference at this hotel with most of the delegates staying overnight. The rooms were absolutely fine with lovely decor and were very clean and bright. The room I stayed in overlooked the gorgeous garden, but agree with one of your other reviewers, that a voile or net put up at the window would be preferrable as you are overlooked by people sat in the garden or other rooms. I would like to say a huge thank you to Debbie, Jessie and Lyn on reception who were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help with last minute changes and demands. I would also like to thank Chris, Seb and Jilly who helped with the conference requirements, making sure we were comfortable and replenished with catering needs. Every member of staff I encountered were all friendly and would recommend this hotel and will definitely be using their facilities again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden would be my preference.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Chrissy,

Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted to hear that we were able to look after your conference and that it went really well. I will certainly pass your comments on to all the team members mentioned and we look foward to welcoming you back next year.

Louis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I'm happy to pay for quality. Paying £150 for a pretty average double room, with no aircon, and a view of a carpark does not make me happy though...! Breakfast for two? £20-£35 extra. Parking? £10 extra. Wifi? Free - but not working properly?!?! The Hotel does have potential, however it is currently operating as a very average 3 star, completely at odds with its pricing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank C R
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear CR,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you found the pricing for your room to be an issue, our rates are reviewed daily and in line with our competitors in the area. I am not clear if you have booked with us directly or via a third party website? If you would like me to investigate the rate you were paying and the room type booked please feel free to email me on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk

Breakfast if pre-booked on check in is £10.00 per person and parking charges are also the same and sometimes cheaper than other Hotels in the city centre and those that do actually have onsite car parking all charge.

Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Lovely hotel with stylish interior and light spacious rooms. Most staff very helpful.
Breakfast was good but not fantastic and at £10 each on top of the room rate I would have expected better. Bedroom could do with some net or voiles even if they can be drawn as required, as some rooms are overlooked and we therefore had to pull main curtains during the day! I would stay here again if a reduced price offer was available as the location is fantastic and we had an overall enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room in the main hotel, if only available in the wing ask if a garden view roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Annette P,

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel. Our breakfast charges are comparable with a number of of other Hotels in Winchester. I note your comments regarding voiles and we are currently looking into this with our Head Office.

We do have a number of offers that run throughout the year so please keep an eye on our new website for which will launch shortly for further updates.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arrived early and left our bags with reception until we could check in. Staff we friendly but all preoccupied with the wedding that was taking place that afternoon. On checking in we were given our room key but no information on what time and where breakfast was and what time checkout was, this was left to us to find out.

Our room was very basic, clean but with little character considering it had recently been decorated. The main issue was that there was no air conditioning, for a modern building that the room was in this was surprising as most budget hotels have this now.

Having the window open at night meant we were woken on numerous occasions in the night.

Breakfast was ok, it was a buffet style which meant that the "hot" items such as bacon, eggs etc were warm rather than hot. But there was an excellent range of things to choose from.

Overall I liked the location, the gardens and the range of breakfast available. Would I go back? Certainly not in warm weather due to the lack of air con but would possibly try again in the winter and hope the staff were more attentive and informative.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pete J
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Pete J,

Thank your for your feedback which I have reviewed with the relevant team members, please accept my apologies where we have failed to meet our normal standards of service. In respect of bedroom air-conditioning this is something that is currently under review with our owners.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kent
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one evening through a Travelzoo deal. The room was recently renovated, clean & comfortable. However there is no air con or fans so it was really warm at night.

Our room overlooked the gardens but there are no blinds or nets at the window so you have absolutely no privacy.

The restaurant staff are running round like headless chickens and the food is average at very best.

Breakfast was self service and terrible. Hot food is placed in large serving dishes but these are not heated so the food is left to sweat and go cold. Beans had been splashed all over the cloth and it was generally unappetising.

All in all there is potential but staff training is required and the rough edges need sorting. Perhaps a new management team could refine the venue?

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hebridian
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Hebridian,

Thank you for your review and may I offer my apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay, we normally have a very efficient breakfast service and I regret that things did not run as smoothly as normal.

We will of course use your feedback to make improvements wherever possible and as ever we would have gladly welcomed any comments during your stay so that we may have had an opportunity to try and rectify any issues as far as we possibly could.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night (work purposes). The receptionist was brilliant, so helpful, kind and considerate. I was due in at an office at 9am the following morning and forgot to Google the directions. The receptionist soon helped me out - she was wonderful.

Finding my room was a little more challenging. I realised that room numbers didn't appear where I thought they would and out of shear luck I went up a flight of stairs (the numbers didn't appear at the bottom of the staircase), went through a set of doors and made a mental judgement that I was on the right floor.

My room was comfortable but I did have a fight with the hot water in the shower in the morning and surprisingly at breakfast I overheard other people saying the same thing. Plenty of choice for breakfast although if you ask for toast, don't expect the bread to be toasted!!!

The restaurant was so peaceful and very beautiful - a pleasure to eat in. The food was delicious although (and I gasp at myself in shock here), after having a really well presented starter and main course, the dessert looked like it was slapped in a dessert bowl and there was far too much in the bowl.

I have to say that I'm very much against hotels charging for car parking on their own premises. Not only do they charge, but they charge excessively considering I was staying overnight. It cost me £8 for the day and £10 overnight. I was not impressed at all with that.

Room Tip: Beautiful hotel - lovely setting - be prepared to pay heavily for car parking.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Blueroseshin
Dear Bluerosehin,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and there was a minor issue with the Hot water on the morning of your stay and which we were able to resolve fairly promptly. I have spoken with the Head Chef regarding the presentation of the dessert and I apologise that this was not to the same standard as the rest of your email.

Our parking charges are comparable with other Hotels in Winchester and for secured overnight parking with CCTV this represents less than 50p per hour.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Bramley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We first discovered this place by accident in August 2013 when the place we wanted to eat was fully booked. We are so glad that we did as we were so blown away by this place that we decided to get married there.

On the first night we sat down for the meal in the conservatory restaurant and it was small and beautifully quaint. The waiters were immaculately dressed and very friendly and the food left us speechless. I couldn't fault anything, everything was perfect. Then a week later my husband proposed to me and we knew exactly where we wanted to get married, we didn't even bother looking around other places.

We planned our wedding for the 4th May and over the months we emailed and visited the hotel and planned everything out. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble. We wanted to have the ceremony in the conservatory and afternoon tea rather than a 3 course sit down meal and they catered to all of our needs.

They say that wedding planning is supposed to be stressful but I did not feel stressed in the slightest in the months leading up to our big day.

They were very supportive of me, my husband and our family on the morning of our wedding and helped to keep me calm and make sure that I was in the right place at the right time to meet my husband at the 'altar'. We could not thank the team enough for making sure that our wedding was perfect right down to the tiniest details.

Everyone at the Winchester Royal Hotel should feel proud, we really could not have asked for a better day, it really was perfect, not even the weather let us down. Everyone commented on how hard you all worked for us and how it was such a great day. Thank you all so very much, it really was special.

We also had the most amazing honeymoon suit which was the icing on the cake, we will be back for a 1st anniversary next year and can't wait for our next trip to Winchester as we will certainly drop by to say thank you in person.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Anne-Marie,

Thank you for wonderful review, I am delighted that we were able to help make your wedding day truly special and I will of course share your comments with the whole team here whom I know will be really pleased to hear your feedback.

I am also grateful for the lovely photos you have posted and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel for your first anniversary, please contact me nearer the team of your planned visit on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk

Congratulations to you both.