“great stay - superb hotel”

Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed at the Hotel en-route to the Isle of Wight festival. Staff fantastic and welcoming, bar service good, rooms recently invested, clean and well appointed, with great bathroom. Superb breakfast buffet, open early just after 6.30am which helped our early departure. Really good central location with secure car parking - no hesitation in recommending this Hotel for business or leisure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear BeermonsterSteve,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us. I will share your kind comments with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Having lived in and around Winchester in the past for many years, I've visited this hotel a few years ago and was not impressed. Last week we hired 6 rooms for a few days as I'd been informed that the hotel had improved since the new management. Not so. The reception staff were hassled, short staffed and not particularly efficient. On arrival I was checked into room 180 - the new wing - the room decor was fine but without a fridge and overlooking a car park it was not a good start. The wifi did not cover this far end of the hotel so I asked to be moved - the only room available was a disabled room, which I accepted.
The housekeeping was substandard - toilets nor the bathroom cleaned. On the third day after being out for 8 hours I returned to find a towel and toilet roll outside my door. My room had not been made up. I queried this with reception whose response was an incredulous 'what exactly did I want'. After asking to speak with the duty manager I was informed that the housekeeping staff were not available to make up the room. After a rather drought discussion the manager agreed to make up my room.
However, the real clincher was that I had a rather expensive bottle of wine stolen from my room/reception. Four wine bottles had been delivered by a friend to reception which I has asked to be taken to by room but only 3 arrived. The hotel has denied responsibility and as I had to fly out of the UK it was difficult to chase this up. I'd suggest staying elsewhere. Be warned.

Room Tip: Stay in a newer room close to the main building for better wifi and view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sal_Winchester

Dear Sal_Winchester

Thank you for your second review, having deleted your original to which I had already responded? I apologise once again for the lapse in housekeeping standards and I am pleased that the Duty Manager was able to attend to this for you.

As far as your wine is concerned we have no way of actually knowing what was delivered, my staff delivered this to the room as requested and having checked our CCTV I am confident that my staff did just that and nothing was taken as you allege.

I do find it strange that guests who are confident in their assertions that something has been stolen from them choose to report it on Trip Advisor rather than go to the police and report it? As previously stated we are happy to assist with any such enquiry should you wish to pursue such a claim directly with us rather than through the medium of Trip Advisor.

Regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed in a second floor room overlooking the garden. The room was good sized, attractive and comfortable. The only problem was that we wanted to leave the curtains and windows open to enjoy the beautiful garden, but that would probably allow the houses, or flats across the street to see in.
I don't remember having any problem with the wifi, but I may not have used my iPad during our stay.
The breakfasts were excellent, but the staff got a wee bit testy when we wanted to come in a few minutes early.

All in all, we found the Royal to be one of the nicest that we stayed in during our two weeks in the UK.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for one overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear MVFollowup,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and found us to be one of the nicest Hotels you visited during your two weeks in the UK.

I am pleased to hear that you found the breakfasts to be excellent and I can only apologise if any of our staff appeared "testy" with your requirement for an early breakfast and I will ensure that this is reviewed by the Food & Beverage team.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay here, our room was very nice and clean with an enormous bed which was very comfortable. We sat and had a pre dinner drink in the garden which is very nice as the weather was lovely, then we went and had dinner which was very good indeed. I have to mention Elliott our waiter who was attentive and very professional.
Breakfast was very good although they had run out of butter which is something that should never happen!
The only real downside to the decor of the Hotel was the lounge area ,it looks like an old peoples home, but apart from that its not bad at all :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelesnails,

Thank you for your review and I am really pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding Elliot which I will pass on to him. I regret to hear that we ran out of butter at breakfast for short while but I believe this was quickly replenished.

I note your comments regarding the decor we believe it is tasteful and in keeping with the style of the Hotel but we fully appreciate that every person has different tastes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have just organised a two day conference at this hotel with most of the delegates staying overnight. The rooms were absolutely fine with lovely decor and were very clean and bright. The room I stayed in overlooked the gorgeous garden, but agree with one of your other reviewers, that a voile or net put up at the window would be preferrable as you are overlooked by people sat in the garden or other rooms. I would like to say a huge thank you to Debbie, Jessie and Lyn on reception who were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help with last minute changes and demands. I would also like to thank Chris, Seb and Jilly who helped with the conference requirements, making sure we were comfortable and replenished with catering needs. Every member of staff I encountered were all friendly and would recommend this hotel and will definitely be using their facilities again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden would be my preference.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Chrissy,

Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted to hear that we were able to look after your conference and that it went really well. I will certainly pass your comments on to all the team members mentioned and we look foward to welcoming you back next year.

Louis

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I'm happy to pay for quality. Paying £150 for a pretty average double room, with no aircon, and a view of a carpark does not make me happy though...! Breakfast for two? £20-£35 extra. Parking? £10 extra. Wifi? Free - but not working properly?!?! The Hotel does have potential, however it is currently operating as a very average 3 star, completely at odds with its pricing.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank C R
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear CR,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you found the pricing for your room to be an issue, our rates are reviewed daily and in line with our competitors in the area. I am not clear if you have booked with us directly or via a third party website? If you would like me to investigate the rate you were paying and the room type booked please feel free to email me on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk

Breakfast if pre-booked on check in is £10.00 per person and parking charges are also the same and sometimes cheaper than other Hotels in the city centre and those that do actually have onsite car parking all charge.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Lovely hotel with stylish interior and light spacious rooms. Most staff very helpful.
Breakfast was good but not fantastic and at £10 each on top of the room rate I would have expected better. Bedroom could do with some net or voiles even if they can be drawn as required, as some rooms are overlooked and we therefore had to pull main curtains during the day! I would stay here again if a reduced price offer was available as the location is fantastic and we had an overall enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room in the main hotel, if only available in the wing ask if a garden view roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Annette P,

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel. Our breakfast charges are comparable with a number of of other Hotels in Winchester. I note your comments regarding voiles and we are currently looking into this with our Head Office.

We do have a number of offers that run throughout the year so please keep an eye on our new website for which will launch shortly for further updates.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards