“nearly right”

Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 1 July 2014

hotel and services were very good. right in centre of winchester so ideal for Cathedral and shopping
beautiful weather weather which always helps but to have windows in bedroom open caused noise to wake you early from surrounding car parks.
Not to be advised of the daily car parking charge when booking was a sad surprise.
when my wife ordered here main course for dinner, it was served with changes to the vegetable line up which should have been pointed out at time of ordering and may well have changed her selection.

Room Tip: higher floors may have less noise from car parks r
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear KennethB,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you found the Hotel and services to be very good. I am concerned to hear that you say were not advised of the car-parking charges as we are very meticulous in ensuring these are displayed on our own website and third party travel partner sites, these are also detailed on all our booking confirmations sent out from the Hotel? As for the vegetables I am not clear what was changed from what was shown on the menu but if you would like to email me on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk I will gladly look into this and the parking confirmation for you?

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Louis Rigney

Write a ReviewReviews (1,896)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here to break our journey to Devon. Rooms were modern, clean and well appointed.Unfortunately our room overlooked the car park and had no blind or net curtain so people could see in the room. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We thought the breakfast was poor. What little that was left was cold and the toast had just been shown the toaster! The most impressive thing about the hotel was it's location in the centre of the city. You can walk to all the places of historic interest and the main shopping centre

Room Tip: Best rooms overlook the garden. Rooms overlooking the car park have no privacy.

Dear Rosemarye514,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that things were not as good as you expected and I apologise that the breakfast was poor on this occasion, we are in the process of replacing some equipment (toasters in particular) to improve this service offering and privacy voiles are also being purchased for the ground floor windows.

I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful and our location is one of the best in Winchester, hopefully if you stay with us again in the near future we will be able to improve upon this visit for you and kindly feel free to contact me on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk prior to any planned visit in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have just returned from a one night stay. I paid £149 room only plus £10 for breakfast. Overall, I thought it was nice enough, but I would have expected better service and more 'luxury' touches. The food in the restaurant was lovely,but the service wasn't exactly friendly and I had to ask for the wine list as I wasn't offered it. The staff made a mistake about my dinner bill, mixing up my bill with a diner at an adjoining table. I pointed this out, and brought me my own bill, but when I checked out the following morning I had been charged for both! I explained this, and the invoice was changed. The buffet breakfast was fine, but not special or memorable. My room was nice enough, but it lacked any of the little touches of luxury I had hoped for: average toiletries, limited number of TV channels, no robes etc. I realise that Winchester hotels are expensive, but I have travelled widely for work and stayed in a wide range of places, and immediately prior to my stay in Winchester I had stayed in a luxury hotel somewhere else which provided bespoke furniture, beautiful bathroom, luxury toiletries, robes, slippers, DVD, multiple TV channels...for £85. To be honest, I thought the garden was very pretty, but in the end was disappointed by my stay in the light of the price I paid. In the light of the management responses on here I'm not expecting any kind of positive response, but I travel very widely for my work, and have stayed in many hotels, and in this case I was disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear HLCODD,

Thank you for your review, may I offer my apologies that the service in the restaurant was not as attentive as it could be and also for the mix-up with your bill. I will ensure that this is reviewed by the Operations Manager and the food and beverage team.

The property has recently benefitted from a significant investment in terms of new beds, new bathroom suites & showers, modern furnishings, fabrics & flat screen TV's and we do offer a significantly higher standard of "product" than a number of our competitors in the area but having said that we do take all guest feedback on board and I am pleased to advise you that new toiletries are shortly to be introduced aswell as robes and slippers in our Suites.

I cannot comment on what you may have paid at another Hotel all I can say that our rates move in line with seasonal and local demand and we do have a number of attractive offers online througout the year. If you are staying in the area again please feel free to email me on gm.winchester@st.jameshotels.co.uk and I will ensure that you receive a preferential rate on your next visit.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Great location in centre of Winchester. We were fortunate to have a first floor room overlooking the garden which was delightful. Room and room service was very good. Wifi is a bit dodgy away from the main reception area and it appears you need a code for each device ie you can't use the same code in both iPhone and iPad but that is trivial. Breakfast was worth pre-booking and the food was well cooked and plentiful. Staff were friendly and helpful. Overall an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room in the new block.

Dear Manche1,

Thank you for your review and I very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, we are shortly to have our wi-fi system upgraded which will improve signal througout the Hotel. I am glad that you took advantage of our discounted pre-booking for breakfast and that you found this plentiful & good value, thank you also for your kind comments in respect of the team and I will ensure your feedback is shared with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed on business, booked through hotels.com at a discounted £139 for the night.
£10 for parking additional. I'd suggest that the hotel, if they need to charge this, incorporate it in the room rate, as otherwise, it's just another hidden cost. And inconvenience, as I ended up with two invoices for my stay. Breakfast also wasn't included.
Hotel was clean, beautiful, and full of character. Staff very helpful too, and polite, although I had to find someone to serve at the bar at 10pm. Maybe short staffed.
Really good location in the city. I enjoyed my stay, but expected just a little more.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear GavinD,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry for the inconvenience with the invoice, we do not add in parking as part of the rate as not all our clients choose to travel to us by car and some also choose to park their cars in the local public car parks.

I am glad that you found the hotel to be clean, beautiful and full of character and that our staff were helpful, I note that you expected better for the cost and we will of course take your comments on board; we do offer many seasonal pricing variations and operate a competitive pricing policy in line with our competitors.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We fancied a night away and live fairly locally so thought we would try The Winchester Royal as we had a Travelzoo deal.
The hotel looks very nice, set in beautiful surroundings and our room was surprisingly modern with lovely decor which over-looked the manicured gardens. It is located in the heart of Winchester and has ample car parking at a £10 charge overnight. You can walk to the town shops and cathedral in minutes.
Our deal included dinner. We were seated in a grand room with a few other couples as there was a function in the main dining room. The menu was varied, but somehow left me a bit cold. I chose the seabass with new potatoes and green beans, but felt the measly portion of potatoes was a bit, well, measly. My partner had tuna with noodles which he said was tasty. It was just all quite basic and unexciting although the service was very good.
The room was comfortable, very quiet at night with no noise disturbance.
Our breakfast was nice and we arrived just in time to get our tea/coffee and toast swiftly. Everyone who came in after us had a very long wait and several were complaining. Their 'toast' had barely been shown the grill and looked quite unappealing, but as I said, ours was good.
If you are looking for somewhere in central Winchester then you will have a nice stay.

Dear CustardV,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you felt a little bit indifferent towards the Hotel, we always welcome guest feedback particularly at the time and I am sorry you felt the potatoes to be measly, most of our main meals have a small selection of vegetables which are served as part of the actual dish and we have a range of additional side orders available aswell to supplement this albeit at a small extra charge.I am glad that your partner found his meal tasty and the both the service and your room were good. I cannot comment on the hearsay you mention from other guests but I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your own breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future and hopefully we can try and ensure your feeling of indifference on this visit is changed for the better.

Kind regards

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Brilliant location for visiting the sites of Winchester. This hotel has lots of character, particularly in the older parts of the building. It has it's own car parking facilities (£10:00 a day), well worth taking advantage of, with parking in Winchester at a premium. The room we had, in the old part of the hotel had recently been refurbished to a high standard. We did not take an evening meal in the hotel, because there are plenty of other options in Winchester, particularly around the Cathedral area. The hotel breakfast is very good, with all the usual options available. The restaurant is very pleasant with a view over the garden. The service is very good. The staff on Reception are very helpful. When visiting Winchester in future, I would definitely stay at this hotel. A word of advise, compare the prices on internet hotel booking sites, with the hotels own website, there are some very good deals available.

Room Tip: First floor, in the old part if the building if you like character.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Basle123

Dear Basle123,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and as many others have found our location is ideal with it just being a short walk from the town centre. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast choice and our newly refurbished rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.