“Comfortable Hotel, Good Food”

Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel with another couple on Sat 12th July. Beautiful hotel with lovely gardens. We arrived at the hotel 15mins earlier than the check in time of 2pm to find that neither of our rooms were ready, which wasn't the end of the world, as it was such a nice day we sat outside admiring the beautiful gardens. At 2.15pm I went back to reception to find one of our rooms ready. We left our luggage in the one room which was in the new part of the hotel. The rooms were large, spotlessly clean (well done to the housekeepers) and well equipped with flat screen TV, tea & coffee making facilities, iron with ironing board, hairdryer etc. After walking around this fabulous city we returned at 7pm and checked into our own room which was just as wonderful. We had a 2 course meal in the restaurant as part of our Travelzoo package, lots of choice and cooked perfectly, the 4 of us all enjoyed our food which arrived piping hot and very, very tasty. We all agreed the next morning how large and comfortable our beds were. Breakfast was tasy with plenty of choice, 3 of us enjoyed a full cooked breakfast. We did enjoy our stay at the hotel and would return, unfortunately the lack of staff let the hotel down, the staff they have could more friendly and helpful. Also agree with other reviewers that their bar definitely needs some attention, there was a pump for Guiness but they only have cans! also a minimal choice of spirits. Forgot to say earlier the hotel is in a fantastic location right in the City centre.

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer part of the hotel overlooking the gardens which was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Carollovesstravel,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel, your constructive comments have been noted and some changes and improvements have already been made, (The Guiness is a surge can pump, which creates the effect of a poured pint from their specially adapted cans).

Louis Rigney

Write a ReviewReviews (1,889)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had a one night stay 12th/13th July in a room in the new part of the hotel, and were sadly disappointed with the standard overall.
My husband wasn't able to gain access to our room until after 4pm, and when I arrived at around 7pm he asked me to get a fan from reception as there was no air con in the room. Apparently the hotel doesn't have fans! which I found unbelievable. There was no info file in the room that I could find, only a copied letter saying that the hotel had gone under a lot of recent refurbishment. obviously this didn't include installing air con.!!
This is not a bargain priced hotel by any means, and for the price we paid £130+ for one room, I would certainly NOT recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear JuliaBlueHayes,

Thank you for your review and I offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused through a lack of air-conditioning, there are plans by the new owners to install air-conditioing in the bedrooms, some rooms are more affected by warm weather than others and we do have a number of fans available but these were all in use. We have also recently purchased new bedroom folders and a bespoke design will be in the rooms withing the very near future. I am not sure what the delay was with you gaining access to your room and the Duty Manager would usually be called upon to investigate this for you if they are not ready for check-in time?

We offer a flexible pricing policy and our advanced purchase rates are very good value, we also flex our rates in line with seasonal demand and as you can appreciate mid-July is a peak time for Winchester.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Feel let down and completely disappointed by our and other guests experiences of what could potentially be an amazing hotel. The original part of the property is a beautiful building which has been pleasantly decorated. We stayed in a small suite which was tastefully decorated with a very large comfortable bed, antique furniture and separate sitting area. The room was beautifully clean ( congratulations to the housekeeping department- you guys are pulling your weight). However... our experience of the rest of the staff, organisation and management was disastrous from check -in to check- out. The receptionist at check-in was completely indifferent. No attempt to "greet" us was made, we were simply asked our name and told a room number. We had to ask for directions to our room and weren't given any information re parking/ dining options/ arrangements / whether we'd like a paper/ wake-up call etc. Slightly baffled we decided to head down to the "24-7" residents bar for a pre-dinner drink. Given the temperature (27 degrees C) we thought a Pimms in the attractive garden would be nice start to the evening. The one young man serving in the bar declared that he had no fruit prepared and it would therefore be a long time. as there were several other guests queuing we opted for a lager instead. once seated outside we were appalled to find out that the foreign visitors at the next table had waited 45 minutes for a glass of white wine and a lager. We did our best to reassure them this was not a reflection on the general state of the UK's hospitality industry. After a lovely meal at a local restaurant we returned to the hotel at 10:30pm hoping to enjoy a post dinner drink on the terrace. The "24-7" residents bar was locked and the lights were out. After witnessing another guest being told the the bar was now closed we resorted to taking sneaking the half bottle of wine we'd brought with us and the bathroom glasses outside. There were five other tables of similarly disappointed guests out there. the only visible member of staff at this time was the night porter/ security guard who by 11pm was locking up and making it quite clear it was time we all went to bed. We were greeted for the self service breakfast by the jolliest member of staff we had yet encountered. Unfortunately our table for two had only one cup/ set of cutlery and we had to ask for butter to go with the toast ( which was too thick to fit in the toast racks provided). The other staff working in the room were noisily clearing up. I'm not sure my other half managed to put his cutlery down before his plate was snatched away without even being asked if he'd finished. Having joined the queue at reception waiting to check out we were not surprised to the other customers as dismayed as us. When one of the guests explained that it wasn't the receptionists fault but having only one member of staff on at such a busy time was unacceptable the receptionist wholeheartedly agreed. I am saddened and dismayed that given the huge potential of such a lovely building the owners/ management are scrimping on both staffing levels and experience to such an extent that none of the other guests I spoke to would recommend what could be a hugely successful enterprise. They are significantly understaffed and the staff they do have are disinterested, inexperienced or disaffected to the point that it is doing their business serious harm. Wake up guys!

Room Tip: ask for a room in the old part of the building, otherwise you might as well be in a travellodge.
3  Thank Debra B

Dear DebraB,

Thank you for review, I am of course very disappointed to receive your comments in respect of the service received during your stay at the weekend and please accept my sincere apologies. I will be taking corrective action with the indiviudal team members who failed to maintain our normal level of standards of service particularly on check in and check out. I am aware that the Food and Beverage team were a couple of team members down due to sickness at some key service times during the weekend and as the Hotel was extremely busy this did put extra pressure on those members of staff who were left. It is certainly not an intention or our policy to "scrimp" on staffing levels.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the room standards and your welcome at breakfast.
We value all our guest feedback and I will be using your comments to ensure re-training is carried out in the areas where we failed to deliver. I am sure you will see from our percentage rating and number of positive reviews on here that we do endeavour to try and exceed our guest expectations and in the main we usually do.

Once again please accept my apologies and if you are planning to visit the area again I would ask that you allow me the opportunity to try and restore your faith in The Winchester Royal and to that end please feel free to email me on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk prior to any next visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel has been very tastefully modernised. There is a large reception hallway leading to most of the public rooms and reception. The check in process was simple and staff were friendly. Had slight trouble finding my room, but once directed by a helpful member of staff, I was very pleasantly surprised by the standard of room. The huge bed was exceptionally comfortable, a great sized TV mounted on the wall, and full width windows creating a real light and airy feel. My only complaint is that you have to pay £10 for overnight parking, so be aware of this, but with two car parks, there is plenty of space.

Didn't use the bar or evening restaurant, but breakfast was adequate as long as you pre book. Wouldn't be worth £16 if you choose to have on the day!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear RichardC,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that we were a "wonderful find" for you and that a member of our team was able to assist you when you lost your way to the room.

I am glad that everything was to your liking and I note your comments regarding parking and our policy on this is already well documented on here.

Louis

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Nice garden. Good central location. Excellent bathrooms. Terrible reception and front of the house. Mediocre breakfast. Do not take room 102 which is really an emergency exit pathway complete with unlockable windows and green lighting.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Touringuy_11

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, bathrooms and gardens I am not clear as to what you did not like about our front of house/reception? The Hotel had a full refurbishment completed just over 12 months ago and I would have to disagree with your observation that any part of the Hotel is "tired".

Room 102 is a very well appointed room and is located next to an external fire safety escape and I regret that I am unable to do anything about the logistics of the building in providing a safe means of escape for our guests in the event of a fire.

Best regards

Louis

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at this Hotel overnight whilst travelling down south. It is in a great situation for the centre of Winchester and set in some nice grounds. I can not stress how comfortable I found the bed, I dont often sleep well in a different bed, but I really did have a good nights sleep here.

There was only one slight issue in that we were told the wrong breakfast times for the Monday morning, so service had finished when we went down for it. Staff were apologetic, and we were still invited to have breakfast if we wished.

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in the area, and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Will0805
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Will0805,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, our beds were all recently purchased and they are of a high quality as you have found out. I am pleased to hear we were able to serve you breakfast and I am sorry that you were advised the incorrect timings.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at the Winchester Royal hotel in July and had mixed feelings about most things.On arrival on the Sunday evening,the reception staff seemed totally uninterested in our stay no friendly hello not even a smile.When we went for dinner in the evening we ordered a bottle of white wine from the bar but was told that they had no ice for the wine cooler,then during dinner a guest at another table had wine served to them in an ice bucket including ice,we thought they must have sourced some ice from somewhere but when we ordered another bottle of wine guess what, sorry no ice despite the fact that our jug of water was adorned with copious amounts of ice.
The dinner menu was a very limited and not very imaginative, so if you like to end your day with a really good dinner in the evening you will probably be better of at at one of the local pubs whose menus are far more varied and interesting.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are probably the least noisy.

Dear AlanS,

Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies for the apparent lack of welcome on arrival I will follow this up with receptionist on duty and the Reception Manager.

I am also disappointed to hear about the issue with the ice when it would appear that we could have given you this as you point out, there was a fault with the ice machine and this has now been repaired.

I note your comments in respect of the menus, we have recently appointed a new Head Chef and all are menus are being reviewed and we will shortly be launching new seasonal menus.

It is regrettable that we failed to exceed your expectations on this occasion and I would ask that if your are visiting us again in the near future that you email me on gm.winchester@stjameshotels.co.uk so that I can ensure your next stay with us is memorable for all the right reasons.