“Great location, lottery to park your car...”

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The location is superb, you couldn't ask for any better and I understand that this probably poses a problem regarding the parking, but it could be managed so much better. They own a fairly decent plot for parking but haven't really optimised how many cars they could fit in there. They have an attendant who could easily be responsible for double and triple parking cars based on customer need but instead, when they're full, they just point you to the nearest car park over the road, imply "good luck!" and wipe their hands of it all.

The accommodation itself is nice, we were quite comfortable but for the regular price it is definitely not worth it. We got a deal through booking [dot] com which put it within our budget, the accommodation was appropriate for the amount we paid but any more and I wouldn't think it was value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
WMcWilliamWinchester, Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Cruwys,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay. Yes our location is excellent, very close to the cathedral and walking distance to the high street with onsite parking however it is limited due to its layout and unfortunately some spaces have to be blocked to avoid from double parking as our parking attendants are not authorized to collect car keys from guests. I am pleased to read that your stay was nice and comfortable. May I take this opportunity to inform you that as part of our price guarantee policy, we offer the same prices as booking (dot) com without any variation. Please do visit our website or give us a call if you are planning a trip to Winchester and I look forward to welcome you back hopefully in the near future. Kind regards, Vijay Pampana

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Our first impression was that it looked like a converted multi storey carpark and things didn't really improve, i booked it due to central location and that i was told it had a carpark, however, the carpark is on a first come first served basis which i wasn't told when i booked, in fact i was told the exact opposite, further more there were spaces but the "jobs worth" attendant refused to let us park with no explanation as to why we couldn't use one of them and reception couldn't give a hoot, the two receptionists Kamil & Vanacea were so uninterested they bordered on being rude. We were offered no assistance with our luggage or even shown to our room, great for what is supposed to be a luxury hotel. The hotel itself is extremely dated (at a guess of the 1960s era) and is tatty and tired to say the least, our en suite can only be described as grubby and the shower was more like a drizzle, plus the shaver point is unusable due to a fitted mirror being in the way......brilliant design!!! Unlike other reviews we did find the bed comfy, that i have to say was the ONLY good thing. We had originally planned to have breakfast but decided that as everything was so dirty (what are the kitchens like) we chose to walk into town and eat at a bakery. To summarize this place does not deserve a 4 star rating and as you have probably gathered my advice would be DON'T GO THERE you will only be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this tired converted carpark
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear peter s, I am sorry that in this instance we failed to meet your expectations and our normally high standards. Please accept my sincere apologies. The team have been made aware of your feedback and will take the neccessary action to remedy the issues you highlighted. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Ideal hotel location to appreciate the ambience of Winchester - lacks a big open fire for this time of year! Staff were attentive and helpful, be aware of car parking charges. We suffered with winter weather but will be back again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Paul F

Dear Paul F,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Vijay Pampana

Reviewed 14 December 2013

What an amazing location, but this is never a 4 star hotel, the rooms were very dated and offered very little for the very pricey room rate. Compared with other 4star hotels this is poor.

Even the most basic hotels offer a selection of quality pillows, for a hotel like this to have the cheapest nastiest pillows is shocking.

Whilst the location is perfect there is little to bring me back here, would rather stay elsewhere. This offered poor value for money.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TracyBevan
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear TracyBevan, Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you felt we offered poor value for money. I have asked Housekeeping to review our pillow stock to identify those rooms in which they should be changed. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 10 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Leon B

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Only one thing going for it - the location. Corporate feeling and bland dated building. Not advised of fresh options at breakfast which is V steep @ 15.50 per person. Room very small and stuffy with electric heater provided - presumably the central heating wasn't working? Torn bed clothes, old dirty looking carpet, broken furniture, toiletries not adequately replenished for two people and no water provided in room. The worst thing is the parking for which the charge to residents is GBP 9.00 and best of all the car park is offered to the public so you are not guaranteed a parking spot even if you have paid this tax! Winchester is a beautiful city - don't let the Mercure ruin your time there!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear igomoonblue, I have shared your feedback regarding your bedroom with the team in order that they may attend to the issues you highlighted. We have replaced the temporary heaters with permanent fixed heating since your stay as it was not practical to repair the original wet heating system. Our car park is charged separately to the room rate as spaces cannot be guaranteed. Car parking charges are posted at midnight for that particular night when we know a guest has occupied a space. I can confirm that guests will therefore not be charged if they have not been able to park. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is brilliantly located right next to the cathedral, just off the high street. Its fairly basic but generally looks clean and tidy. I was quite pleased with it until I got into bed. The pillows were like bricks. I've never known such uncomfortable pillows. I don't know how anybody could sleep on them. They were literally hard! The bed generally was so uncomfortable that I could not sleep. So as I couldn't sleep I thought I'd try a little glass of Sauvignon and was charged the hefty sum of £5 for room delivery on top of the £7.95 charge for the glass. £12.95 for a glass of cheap Sauvignon!

This is one to avoid. If you're going to pay for a hotel, you at least want to be able to sleep in it!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear ClareCheshire, Thank you for your review. We receive many positive comments about the comfort of our beds and I am sorry that in this instance this wasn’t the case. I will ask housekeeping to review our pillow stock to identify those rooms in which they should be changed. We regularly review our bar pricing to ensure we remain competitive with local hotels and I can confirm that we remain so. I note your comment regarding the tray charge which is stated on our room service menu. Kind regards, William McWilliam