“excellent”

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I ve stayed here 3 nights during the hat fair week end.
during my stay, my wife and I found all the staff we came across to be fantastic, helpful and polite.
When we checked in Peter and Kamil couldn't have been more helpfull.
in the bar and dining room the staff we came across were very efficient.
we were very impressed with Christo ( Italian or Bulgarian ?? ) head waiter and Elizabeth the breakfast host both very helpfull and efficient.
the food and service are second to none, all in all I would reccomend this hotel to any of my friends as a very well run hotel.
thank you for looking after us, no doubt we will be back soon

Stayed: July 2014
WMcWilliamWinchester, Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear surprisetodelight,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I will share your comments with Peter, Kamil, Cristo and Elizabeth who in return will be happy to hear that you and your wife had a pleasant stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

great location, central and walking distance to the cathedral. I recomment the rooms overlooking the cathedral, the view from these rooms are very good and worth paying the upgrade fee. Staff are friendly and welcoming. I will go there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vkp79

Dear vkp79,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Approached my stay with heavy heart as the travel agent had talked it down,saying it warranted a lower star rating than what it had been given.The immediate environs were not encouraging ,a dull car park and skips at the rear of shops.However the interior was delightful ,traditional ,a touch of faded splendour in parts but clean and well appointed.The room fittings included an elegant armchair .And Australians should note a fridge hiding behind a cupboard door!Staff professional and sharp and ready always to assist.The breakfast vouchers that could have been purchased at time of booking seemed good value,unfortunately the travel agent didn't pass on this info

Room Tip: All rooms enjoy a view of the Cathedral ,all rooms enjoy the Cathedral bells
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Marilyn K,

Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Requested a ground floor room due to limited mobility. Was told it was on the mezzanine. The mezzanine is actually slightly higher than a standard UK staircase. I was able to manage this but others any assume like I did that a mezzanine was about 6 stairs may struggle. Check in staff were friendly and the bedroom 148 was fine if in need of some touch ups on the paintwork. Bed is a great size - 2 singles pushed together but with just one mattress.
The fan in the bathroom didn't work on arrival (Sunday 29th lunchtime) and we niavely assumed that the maid had reported it. We were out for a long time on Monday morning and on our return around 15.00 we asked at reception whether it had been mended. They feigned surprise and asked when WE had reported it. When we said that we had assumed it had been picked up by the cleaning staff prior to our arrival they seemed surprised. We were then told the maintenance person would be there soon by 2 different members of staff. It's now almost 22.00 and no one has been here. We left the room early for supper hoping that they would come. Perhaps the mould on one corner of the bathroom ceiling should have alerted us to the fact that the hotel have known about this for a long time and chosen to ignore it. Surely all cleaning staff in hotel chains have checklists and a basic responsibility to report problems to maintenance and check that they've been sorted. As the hotel is not v busy why allocate this room? Now it becomes clear why they took full payment up front. We will not be returning and would welcome the opportunity to talk to the manager about the way we have been misled. The main reason we selected this hotel was location and also many pleasant stays at the Arthur Frommer in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Room 148 is at the end of a walk at the back of the cathedral v noisy early Sunday evening when we w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jo B,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01962861611 or h6619-rd@accor.com

Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at the Wessex hotel for 2 nights whilst I was on a training course. Check in and check out was quick and simple and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was large, the bed was very big, and it was very well equipped - the fan helped immensely in the heat! The view from the bedroom overlooked Winchester cathedral which was lovely.
It is in brilliant location, next door to all of the shops/ bars and restaurants but it was still quiet in the room! The breakfast was really good, plenty of choice, although I had a full english on both occasions.
If I were to visit Winchester again, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel overlooking the cathedral
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Katie H
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear KatieH,Thank you very much for telling us how much you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Winchester Wessex with fabulous views of the Cathedral, friendly and helpful staff and a great breakfast. We are all delighted to hear that you would definately stay with us again the next time you are in Winchester and sincerely hope you do. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel is very centrally located; close to the cathedral, college, shops and restaurants. The staff were at all times polite and efficient, although on our first full day the room was not made up until mid-afternoon. The main dining room is an attractive long room and the breakfasts are very good with a broad choice of eats from both the buffet and the kitchen.

That, I think, is where the good things end.

We spent 3 nights at the hotel in June, 2014 and were charged £10 per day for the car parking which, considering we were paying an average of £139 per night B&B, I regard as somewhat cheeky. (Rooms will only cost £78 per night in September and £96 per night in October according to Tripadvisor).

The rooms are pretty small (although functional and with comfortable beds) but they do not have air conditioning. We were told triumphantly that there was a fan in the closet ! The result is that as the weather was warm we had to have the window open, with all the noises of bins being emptied and goods being delivered to the stores to wake us up at around 06.00.

We are in the 21st century and this hotel is in a very serious need of a major refurbishment. It isn't large, there are only two floors so, knowing something about the hotel/hospitality industry, I would presume that the hotel would have to be completely shut while this was carried out. The quicker Mercure do that the better, even though they will have to dispense with one of their major cash cows while it happens (some 18 months of closure I would guess).

Overall, given the price we were paying, I was unimpressed and will be wary of the Mercure group in the future.

Room Tip: If you must stay here at all, then ask for a room overlooking the cathedral. Those on the other side...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaitCyprus

Dear LatiCyprus, Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your feedback. Following the significant roof repairs we carried out recently and the refurbishment of the bathroom extract system, we have accelerated our planned maintenance programme to ensure that every area of the hotel is refreshed and in good order within the shortest time possible.
With over 75 hotels in the UK, Mercure are recognised for their quality of their hotels and the service they provide. Whilst I might be a little biased, I have no hesitation in recommending any of them to you. For future reference, as a group we are committed to offering good value. Rates do change with the seasons and even at the busiest times there are some exceptionally good offers to be found.
Like most city centre hotels we do charge for car parking. Unfortunately we are unable to include the cost in the room rate as it would be unfair on those guests who do not require this facility.
Once again, thank you very much for your review and I sincerely hope that Mercure will have the opportunity of welcoming you back. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this weekend one night in:
1x Double Classic - Room only
2 adults - 0 children
1x Double Classic - Room only
1 adult - 0 children
One room was a standard double.
The other was a tiny room.
The Receptionist told us no other rooms were available the hotel was full so couldn't get a bigger room.
The carpet was torn with a large hole in it. Grotty would be an understatement. I am very unimpressed by the Mercure Winchester! I will try to add my photo of the carpet to this review

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Taxi56

Dear Taxi56, Thank you for taking the time to discuss this matter with Vijay. I am sorry that we allowed you to be allocted that bedroom in the first place and that we were unable to offer you an alternative.Please accept my sincere apologiese. I can confirm that a repair has since been carried out and that and we are arranging to replace the carpet as soon as possible. Kind regards, William McWilliam