“Corporate Hotel, quiet and comfortable”

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A corporate style hotel, we were upgraded on arrival to an executive room (on a par with premier inn in style and comfort). Customer service at reception was very good. Lady cleaning rooms in morning friendly. Free WIFI, TV, desk, chair, comfy chairs, twin beds, wardrobe, spare towels. Bathroom and room clean and comfortable. Didn't take breakfast in morning as plenty on offer in town.

Room Tip: Make a telephone call to confirm your room and you may get an upgrade?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear RobParker, I am delighted to hear that you had a quiet and comfortable stay with us and found the team members you came across to be friendly with good customer service. Glad to hear that we were in a position to upgrade you and that everything in your room was in good order. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Winchester

Write a ReviewReviews (1,485)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Firstly don't be put off by some of the recent reviews regarding no hot water. This was a very short term problem!
The hotel is a hideous 70s style planning nightmare from the outside but it is in a wonderful location right in the City centre adjacent the cathedral. Paying a but extra for a cathedral view seems worth it but having only been here once I have no true comparison!
The room (102) is very spacious, the bed comfortable and huge and the bathroom not too bad (clean but a little dated).
The room rate was good value (obtained through Booking.com but the same on Mecure website). Haven't tried breakfast but the hotel is right in the centre so sure to be some better value cafés around.
In summary - worth a try particularly for a short trip as such a central location.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LizG10959
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear LizG10959, Thank you very much for you understanding regarding the hot water issue please accept my apologies. We were very fortunate that this isolated incident was rectified as quickly as it was. On a positive note I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our great city centre location being adjacent to The Cathedral. I really hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mercure Winchester Wessex . Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Beautifully LOCATED near the cathedral and high street Breakfast buffet was beautifully presented. .We feels the car park shoud be free for customers only.The bed was comfortable and room was clean and we enjoys our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear SarahT, Thank you very much for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay in a clean and comfortable bedroom. Delighted that you enjoyed our well presented breakfast. We think that it is second to none. Hope to see you soon. KInd regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel is an ordinary chain hotel, unremarkable breakfast but great location. They don't tell you they charge £10 to park until you arrive but the public car park right next to the hotel car park is free from 1800-0800. The rooms are not air conditioned. We had no hot water for our stay. The staff were not bothered and made no attempt to apologise or offer any sort of recompense.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the cathedral side away from the noisy shop deliveries
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lara C

Dear Lara C,Please accept my apologies for the poor communiction by the team regarding the problem with the hot water during your stay. I can assure you that we have reviewd our procedures to ensure that this will not be the case in the future and that every guest is spoken too and offerred the appropriate apology and recompense for the inconvenience caused. KInd regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Iam here at the moment on my second night and have not had hot water since we got here. The boiler is apparently broken but there was NO letter of apology in our room when we got back after a long day. So I suppose another cold shower tomorrow. Breakfast in the room this morning was bland and no salt in the salt shaker to improve it. Also our individual marmalade jar had been used already by somebody else. This, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Not a professionally run establishment at all. I normally do not complain but they will be getting an earful in a polite way from me tomorrow. DISGRACEFUL...

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank franclarke

Dear franclarke, In the first instance please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. In particularl, I am sorry that the team did not keep you informed regarding the hot water as I believe that everything was up and running prior to your return on the second evening of your stay. I have also spoken to the F&B manager to ensure that breakfast trays be fully checked prior to service to ensure that all the items are present and correct . KInd regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed the weekend 11-13 July, nice location, expensive for what it is, friendly staff, free wi if, would stay again, breakfast was a bit boring and not very warm and the Coffee was awful, room was nice and clean but had to pay extra for a Cathedral view which was nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear rangers502, Thank you very much for posting a review. Pleased to hear that you would stay with us again. I sincerely hope you do. I am concerned to hear that breakfast and coffee were not to our usually high standard. Please accept my apologies and assurance that the team are looking in to your comments .Kind regards, William McWilliam

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights during some very hot weather. Unfortunately, the hotel was very full and so could only have a "small double" for the first night then was able to move into a larger room with better facilities.
The hotel is very well located right in the heart of city, next to the Cathedral, Shops and Restaurants.
There is a manned car park - tip make sure you pre-book your parking space, I was lucky toget one!
Check was frustrating, as a large queue amd one one member of reception staff until another came along at least ten minutes later and probably a queue of about 6-7 people - after a hot day traveling and meetings - you need an effortless check in.
As stated I was booked into a small double which is the 1970's style annex above the car park. And with rooms to suit a traveller in the the 70's - fairly cramped - wasn't a proper double bed and no aircon! which was a serious problem with the heat - the portable fan was working overtime!
Nevertheless, breakfast experience was very good; however bacon and sausgae on the slightly undercooked side.
I was fortunate to have had my baggage moved to a larger room for the next night which was superb in comparison - it had been modernised in the current Mecure style with good furnishings and drapery. Decent sized bathroom and a good aircon unit which I kept on at 16 degrees all night - so lovely to have a decent night's sleep wrapped up in the duvet, instead of a restless, hot and sweaty one with the bed clothes kick off!
If both nights were in the larger better appointed room - the score would have gone up!
I guess the hotel is restricted by the size of rooms buildt so long ago - but when they are refurbished - fit aircon!

Room Tip: State a room in the main part of the hotel - not the annex above the car park!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear MarkR, Thank you very much for reviewing your stay. I am sorry that we could not offer a larger room for the first night of your stay, but pleased that we were able to move you on the second night to room that you found superb .I apologise for the delay you experienced at check in and have asked the Reception Manager to investigate why this was so. I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mercure Winchester Wessex. Kind regards, William McWilliam