“Grandson's Treat!”
Review of Marwell Hotel

Marwell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have stayed here with our Grandson's before but this time I had problems with Reception as no-one seemed to know what I had booked though I had done it over the phone Zoofari Special Room Dinner Breakfast and zoo entrance. Dinner was charged the first night! I was told we were having a superior room and though it was big the sink was cracked and the plug didn't work so we couldn't keep water in the bowl. Bed was lovely! We love being in the woods where the boys can be free but the window in the bathroom opened right out with a long drop if they fell out. There was no pizza left at 6.30pm on the first night and the 2nd night the chef sent out the wrong pizza! But we will be back next year as we all ;ove it here!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the wedding reception room especially at the weekend
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Marwell Hotel in a family room (Rm 309) to attend my niece's wedding at Marwell Wildlife and took advantage of a special rate as part of a group rate organised by my sister. A couple of days leading up to our stay we tried to contact the hotel but each time we rang the number rang out with no-one answering the phone. We eventually did get through and the staff we very friendly. The room was comfortable and we really like the setting. The fixtures and fittings were a little dated with the fridge not working as they were due for refurbishment. I tried to adjust the direction one of the bedside spotlights and rather than the light moving the whole fitting moved exposing the wiring and the hole behind the fitting. The bathroom although clean could be improved. The staff in all all areas were very friendly and seemed to be busy at all times, I think we counted 5 weddings throughout the weekend so obviously a really popular setting.
We used the swimming area although it was a shame that the poolside Jacuzzi although nice and hot didn't work with only one jet producing a trickle of a current and the sauna was not turned on. On our first night we used the room service as our children were asleep and the service was good although my wife's spaghetti carbonara was extremely dry although my beef chilli nachos was good.
Overall I was happy to pay the rate we did however if it had been at the full price I would have been severely disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for one night following a wedding close by so did not get to try the amenities. The room was a good size and clean and very reasonably priced (we may have had a wedding discount though). I found it a little strange when I opened the curtains the next morning to find I was facing into other people's rooms. I am not sure I would have liked that if I had been spending longer there. The breakfast buffet was good and included in our room price. I couldn't believe how close we were to the zoo, which is brilliant and well worth a visit. We spent 5 hours there after leaving the hotel!
I would recommend it as a handy place to stay overnight but did not see enough to recommend it for any other reason.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights and were impressed that the Marwell Hotel is getting better. The rooms are comfy with a view of the woods and the wildlife wandering around,squirrels,pheasants foxes and lots of birds. It's pleasantly laid out except there are too many stairs to the rooms and no lifts. It's not possible to have a lift as all the rooms are laid out like a safari lodge which gives the hotel a character of it's own. Sadly a burst water main upside the ambience of the Sunday but the staff tried hard to make sure we had bottled water. The management need to look at breakfast service on quiet days(Monday),not enough staff on duty so tables not laid up and then having to ask for bread,butter,milk etc. The one young man on duty did not stop and was very obliging,but should have had help,the public areas were all clean and tidy

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 25 March 2012

my wife and i stayed at the marwell hotel on sat 24th march for 1 night. we had a ground floor room . i booked through thomas cook , £84 for bb. hotel was exactly what we expected. clean , modern and the staff were friendly. we didnt use the swimming pool however it looked modern , clean and not busy when we had a look. we got a taxi into winchester in the evening , s did not eat dinner at the hotel. taxi cost £17.00 and when we came back cost £30.00, breakfast was a buffet style. hot and plenty , we enjoyed our stay very much. the location next to the zoo was fun as we could hear the animals in the morning .

Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed Sat night prior to mothers day and there was plenty going on! A wedding party gave the hotel plenty of character but late night music wasn't a problem and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Staff were lovely the food was trying to be a bit better than it was but this is not a typical negative review. We really enjoyed our stay. The pool was clean the room was spot on the staff were really nice and we will be booking for next mothers day. I think it is better than the 3 stars it has been awarded so I am scoring it on what they say it is not a more expensive hotel! We got value for money. Many thanks. Keith Gibson

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed for a night for my 40th birthday the room was supposed to be the bridal suite but found out there is no bridal suite only bulk standard rooms for what was paid could have stayed in a four star hotel in London, staff gave a good service restuarant tables and chairs felt as if you were in a conservatory. Would not recommend to anyone and would not return. Hotel was very run down and required a good clean

1  Thank Mia M
OliBastian, Owner at Marwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Hello Mia M,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I really am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion although I do feel we did everything in our power to make your stay an enjoyable one. At Marwell, we have three different levels of bedroom; Standard, Superior and Executive. Our bridal rooms are the largest of our Superior bedrooms. The Executive rooms are our best bedrooms and were refurbished in January this year (2012) and I must say look superb!! You were upgraded into on our bridal rooms, given a complimentary bottle of fizz with your meal and offered a return visit in one of our Executive rooms to show you the transformation taking place at Marwell. I am very excited for the future and do hope you will give us another opportunity to look after you and to see with your own eyes how your feedback had been listened too and acted on.

All the best.