“Deifnately NOT a Travelodge! (It's a Really nice place!)”
Review of Marwell Hotel

Marwell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
England
“Deifnately NOT a Travelodge! (It's a Really nice place!)”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

as a Business traveller staying alone, liking to stay somehwere more 'compfortable' than the usual 'Travelodge' type place. i was really happy yo finf the hotel in a unique countryside setting, with a great reception area, cosy bar, and elevated dining area. Pool and Sauna etc.. to a good (small scale) standard, perfectly capable of helping me 'work' sleep and relax on my visit in April 2012. good views, coffee, beer and food on offer, usual hotle prices, but a quality offering unlike soem hotels ive stayed at. would reccommend. - rooms are large and accommodating with balcony to woodland outside. 10/10

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here with my husband and children 12 and 9 years. When we first arrived at our room which was about 4pm, there was still breakfast trays in the hallway right outside the rooms and they were still there at 8pm when my husband asked reception to get them cleared. Eventually cleared by about 10pm. Not an impressive start, you do not want to see other peoples left overs. Clearly housekeeping had not been around that day!

Very friendly but very much in need of modernisation in the bedrooms. Wallpaper peeling away from the walls and the bathroom was very much in need of help, very tired indeed.

Had food in the bar which was nice and the staff very friendly. Swimming pool on the small side and very small changing areas.

Breakfast was nice and service good too. It was Easter and during breakfast the waitress came around with a basket full of eggs, like cadburys cream eggs and everyone was offered one which I felt was a nice touch.

Would I stay here again? Maybe if they have a modernisation and employ more housekeeping.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been modernised if there are any!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Apon arrival the hotel looks wonderful. Staff seem ok not amazingly friendly but meh!
Our family room is £99 a night. It's cramped and tatty with ripped wallpaper in places and the toilet is constantly leaking.
Went to iron our clothes and the iron leaked water all over the trousers I was trying to iron.
The beds are not made properly and sheets are creased. Appears as if they have just been pulled up from last persons visit.
In our child's travel cot the sheet looked as if it had just been pulled out of a laundry bag and placed over the mattress.
Swimming pool is lovely.

• Stayed April 2012
Cardigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have stayed here with our Grandson's before but this time I had problems with Reception as no-one seemed to know what I had booked though I had done it over the phone Zoofari Special Room Dinner Breakfast and zoo entrance. Dinner was charged the first night! I was told we were having a superior room and though it was big the sink was cracked and the plug didn't work so we couldn't keep water in the bowl. Bed was lovely! We love being in the woods where the boys can be free but the window in the bathroom opened right out with a long drop if they fell out. There was no pizza left at 6.30pm on the first night and the 2nd night the chef sent out the wrong pizza! But we will be back next year as we all ;ove it here!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the wedding reception room especially at the weekend
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Marwell Hotel in a family room (Rm 309) to attend my niece's wedding at Marwell Wildlife and took advantage of a special rate as part of a group rate organised by my sister. A couple of days leading up to our stay we tried to contact the hotel but each time we rang the number rang out with no-one answering the phone. We eventually did get through and the staff we very friendly. The room was comfortable and we really like the setting. The fixtures and fittings were a little dated with the fridge not working as they were due for refurbishment. I tried to adjust the direction one of the bedside spotlights and rather than the light moving the whole fitting moved exposing the wiring and the hole behind the fitting. The bathroom although clean could be improved. The staff in all all areas were very friendly and seemed to be busy at all times, I think we counted 5 weddings throughout the weekend so obviously a really popular setting.
We used the swimming area although it was a shame that the poolside Jacuzzi although nice and hot didn't work with only one jet producing a trickle of a current and the sauna was not turned on. On our first night we used the room service as our children were asleep and the service was good although my wife's spaghetti carbonara was extremely dry although my beef chilli nachos was good.
Overall I was happy to pay the rate we did however if it had been at the full price I would have been severely disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for one night following a wedding close by so did not get to try the amenities. The room was a good size and clean and very reasonably priced (we may have had a wedding discount though). I found it a little strange when I opened the curtains the next morning to find I was facing into other people's rooms. I am not sure I would have liked that if I had been spending longer there. The breakfast buffet was good and included in our room price. I couldn't believe how close we were to the zoo, which is brilliant and well worth a visit. We spent 5 hours there after leaving the hotel!
I would recommend it as a handy place to stay overnight but did not see enough to recommend it for any other reason.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two nights and were impressed that the Marwell Hotel is getting better. The rooms are comfy with a view of the woods and the wildlife wandering around,squirrels,pheasants foxes and lots of birds. It's pleasantly laid out except there are too many stairs to the rooms and no lifts. It's not possible to have a lift as all the rooms are laid out like a safari lodge which gives the hotel a character of it's own. Sadly a burst water main upside the ambience of the Sunday but the staff tried hard to make sure we had bottled water. The management need to look at breakfast service on quiet days(Monday),not enough staff on duty so tables not laid up and then having to ask for bread,butter,milk etc. The one young man on duty did not stop and was very obliging,but should have had help,the public areas were all clean and tidy

Stayed March 2012