“Quirky place to stay but corridors are FREEZING and reception staff not helpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Marwell Hotel

Marwell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Essex UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I was taken here for a surprise weekend away. Its right next to Marwell Wildlife Park which is a great place to spend an afternoon.

The hotel is clearly a wedding hotel! We arrived on the Friday afternoon and they had two weddings on the Friday, two on the Saturday and were setting up for one on the Sunday when we left!

The main part of the hotel is quite contemporary and the reception area is nice.

The reception staff have to be amongst some of the most unfriendly and unhelpful I have met. We complained twice about the heating in our room not working and they did nothing about it.

When you go off to the room blocks, you have to walk down glass corridors which are quite frankly, FREEZING. No sort of heating at all. It wasn't even that cold when we went so I dread to think what its like in the mid winter.

Rooms are nice but basic. Pillows are odd, feel like they're bean bag type fillings.

Shower (over bath) was nice and with plenty of hot water.
Breakfast was really good.

Swimming pool is very small but there is a jacuzzi too.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lois2k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

The hotel is very nice, clean and tidy, we were here with a wedding and the drinks reception wasin the hotel lobby, I felt sorry for anyone else who was in the hotel as they had no where to go, also the ar only had 1 person working both serving and cleaning the glasses as he went as they had run out ( I did feel sorry for him).

Room Tip: All rooms seemed fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Diss, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I really enjoyed my stay there. Different from the average hotel such as travellodge but well enough priced so as to be a viable alternative. Food was good from the bar menu, excellent breakfast. Room was perfectly well appointed and very comfortable.
The only negative is that the walls were very thin. I was disturbed regularly by conversation from next door and constant coughing throughout the night.
Mind you, I am a particularly light sleeper.
Didmt get to try the pool etc, will bring swimmers next time.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Philip R
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

We booked in for two nights and would NEVER return. I wouldn't pay £25 a night for this. I've seen nicer public toilets than the bathroom, balcony exit for room air led to fire escape so insecure if staying on own. Rooms boiling. Food mediocre at best. Rooms dated. Miserable experience.

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank 1985waterbaby

Travellers are raving about these Winchester hotels

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

My girlfriend took me here for a part of my 40th birthday surprise weekend, so we arrived on Thursday 20th September.

From the outside it looked quite nice, from the outside!

I think the only positive I can say from the inside was the reception area, from here it went all down hill. On the way down to our room it felt dirty, carpet looked like it hadn't been hoovered for a while.

The room looked outdated, the mattress was so soft I thought I was sleeping on the base, the sink in the bathroom had scum residue on it. On the way back up to the reception I made the mistake of running my finger along the banister, so much dust (thick black) only confirmed my suspicion that the cleaner must also be on holiday!

To pay £145 for a dirty hotel is downright disgusting!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at the hotel as part of a wedding package (not the hotel package, but the Marwell Hall package). We got a discount, and the night costs us £114.00. The included breakfast was excellent, lovely food, great range, cooked well.

The rooms were clean, bed was very comfy, the bathroom was dated but clean. The rooms could do with a bit of updating, but overall very nice.

The bar prices were very reasonable for a hotel. I was expecting to pay more, but was pleasantly surprised at the cost.

The wedding experience was wonderful, would recommend to anyone thinking of using Marwell (the zoo experience, not the hotel one, as there are two, couldn't comment on hotel experience).

The only issue was the cost for the room, was overpriced, have stayed in equally nice hotels in London for half the cost. Very nice hotel though.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We chose this hotel because it was an easy distance to an appointment my husband had and also because quite honestly it looked good value for the price.
We had planned on visiting the zooalogical park too but didn't have time.
The entrance to the bar/reception area has a definite African feel to it, inside lofty ceilings (get someone to tackle those high up lights with a duster on a long stick perhaps!), lots of wood and plenty of comfortable seats surround a circular staircase to tables for eating bar meals.
Check in was swift but better lighting would have helped, it all felt a little dismal but the welcome was warm enough.
The rooms are in lodges of I think about 12 rooms, accessed via glass walled walkways above the ground. they have tried hard to make this interesting with water pools and even a hidden elephant drinking from one. This area smelled a little damp but there were heaters set into the ceiling, so I imagine in colder weather they would be turned on.
Our room was up a flight of stairs (no lift if you struggle with stairs so be warned) and spotlessly clean. The bathroom is a little dated and things like taps could do with replacing but the water was piping hot, there was top quality loo paper something not usually encountered in a hotel bathroom in my experience..
The beds were probably the most comfortable I have encountered in a hotel, and there was a well stocked hospitality tray. The tv reception was good and the room overlooked the pool area and some woodland.
Within ten mins of arriving we were in the pool, which was pleasantly warm and the jacuzzi just the right temperature too. There were a couple of things I really didn't like about the pool area. The only two showers were actually in the pool main space not the changing rooms, and had no doors. Not everyone likes to stand naked in view of the pool and perhaps the addition of some doors would make this better. The other thing was the tiled area round the pool was lethally slippery when wet. They had laid some mats to walk on but more are needed, I slid at one point and almost fell backwards, it is obvious when the tiles were chosen they weren't non slip, and of course would be too expensive to retile, so a route via mats is required for safety to and from the changing rooms. The sauna appeared to be good from the people we talked with, and there were others using the small gym.
The pool is a welcome bonus so I don't mean to criticise it, we stayed in there quite a while!
We ate in the bar in the evening, and the food was beautifully presented and perfectly cooked. Only downside for me is their chef needs to read up a bit re coeliac disease, when you send a message to the kitchen explaining you can't have anything containing gluten or wheat, it's a bit disappointing to get a salad dressed with bread croutons.......Their Eton Mess was great however, served in little jam jars and very good.
The room did get very hot overnight (heated rad in the bathroom seemed the cause) and you couldn't have the patio door open as it was straight on to a walkway accessed from the ground. My husband slept like a log and had the duvet been a lighter weight I think I probably would have too.
Breakfast next day was again perfectly cooked, disappointed no fresh fruit was available but fruit juice/cereal/yoghurts/dried fruit plus the usual hot food and toast will satisfy most people.
All the staff we met were above average helpful and friendly.
Would we stay there again, absolutely! I felt some of the previous reviews were pretty unfair considering the price charged. For the price £69 including breakfast it was excellent value for money, a peaceful location and we have stayed in much more expensive hotels without the spa facilities.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple