“Very,very nice stay.”
Review of Marwell Hotel

Marwell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 13 February 2014

As with many others this was booked as a groupon deal with zoo tickets included a present from our family. We have been to the zoo many times and always wondered what the hotel opposite was really like. Arrived on Sunday afternoon and effortlessly booked into room 314 in the first lodge on the left on the upper floor. The room itself was spacious with a huge bed, tv and incidentals. The bathroom however was like stepping back to the 70's ( which is strange as the hotel was built in 1989) yes the shower had poor pressure and was disappointing. The leisure complex is nice yet a little small. We did have a swim,jacuzzi and a sauna. The only observation I would make was that the floors were somewhat slippy and there wasn't enough anti slip matting poolside. The staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming, from the girls who serviced the room each morning to Chris behind the bar to Ella the restaurant manageress and they all made our visit truly memorable. Yes it is in the middle of nowhere, there is no where to walk to apart from the zoo but that's exactly what we wanted. The beer in the bar is a little pricey and a limited choice. We ate in the restaurant and found the food excellent, flavoursome, well presented and reasonable priced. The cooked breakfast each morning was a real treat and set us up for the day. Overall we really enjoyed our 2 day stay and will most certainly be returning. The hotel celebrates its 25th anniversary this year and it is rumoured that there will be some refurbishment lets hope that they do start with those bathrooms and bring them up to scratch.

Room Tip: Most rooms in each lodge don't have any real views. From room 314 in the first lodge on the uppe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobbyboyat22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I got a good deal to go to Marwell for a 'Cosy Winter Warmer' so booked it before reading the reviews on here and instantly regretted it - but it wasn't as bad as I had feared! I really don't think they can call themselves 4*, it is quite like a really good hostel. We had a superior room, which from what I can gather just meant it had an extra bed in the room as nothing else seemed to be better than you'd get in a regular room - it wasn't worth the extra cost. The room was clean - although the safe was broken and had an ugly sign on saying not to use it. I do think I over-paid.
We went to use the swimming pool and reception had run out of towels, so we were told to head down to the pool and someone would bring us some. The pool area itself is very unhygienic, the floor was dirty. The gym seemed to be large enough to just about do a lunge, if you wanted to! Unfortunately, no-one brought us any towels so we had to go back to reception wet and cold and the lady on reception apologised as she thought her colleague had brought us some.
The redeeming quality of the hotel was the amazing, yummy food. We had 2 course dinner included and it was delicious. Breakfast was as expected, but we were really pleased with our evening meal.
I would recommend the hotel if you're visiting Marwell zoo from a distance and don't want to drive there and back in one day. I myself won't be going back. Understandably, it is more aimed at families than adults.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We brought a groupon deal for £55 including breakfast we couldn't check in til 3 but the staff at the hotel were very nice and welcoming we stayed in room 319 the rooms are very dated and we would of been very disappointed if we had paid the full price the zoo is just across the road from the hotel and there are a few pubs nearby where you can eat..breakfast at the hotel was nice but all in all we feel £55 for 3pm check in and a dated room is a tad pricey

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We arrived on Friday 7th February. We went as a deal through groupon for £120, for a family room and a day in the zoo the following day. I think this was meant to cost £199. Our two girls are 5 and 6.

The weather was awful but we knew it was going to be! The zoo tickets are valid for a year so we decided to give it a miss and come back another time (We only live an hour away).

Easy to find and loads of parking when we arrived.
Nice big friendly reception area/bar with chairs and comfy sofas.
Checked in quickly and went down to our room. Some people have slated the rooms, but our room was lovely. I meant to take pictures but I forgot! Loads of storage space, a wardrobe, two bedside tables and a desk. The room itself was clean and decent. Bathroom was clean and in good order. Big double bed with spare blankets and bunk beds for the kids. Blackout curtains as well.
We went into the swimming pool in the evening (which stays open till 9). They provide free towels for the gym. Pool not massive but big enough for a dip. 1.3m at one end and 1.5 at the other. Jacuzzi and sauna. Also a gym which I think had a tv and a couple of treadmills.

We decided to have room service as we were in the pool until 7 and my wife didn't want to put her face back on. It was expensive but looked nice from the menu. We made our order and were told it should be 20 mins but a max of 30 mins. After 10 mins, we received a call and were told we had an old menu in the room, and that the mini donuts we ordered for the kids weren't available any more. They said they would be replaced with fudge brownies.

The food arrived after another 35 mins but that wasn't the end of the world. Unfortunately, my wife's burger wasn't cooked properly and was oozing blood so she couldn't eat it. The mac and cheese I ordered for one of the kid's meals was really bland and just tasted like a plain white sauce with no cheese. The fudge brownies were actually chocolate sundaes but the kids liked them. I returned the plates to the restaurant and asked that we weren't charged for the burger as it wasn't cooked properly and wasn't eaten. They said that would be fine.

It wasn't the best night's sleep we've ever had mainly due to the lack of soundproofing, and the constant banging and dripping noises coming from the hotel plumbing! But I'm being fussy there.

We asked for our breakfast to be delivered to our rooms (which incurred a £2.50 surcharge so not pricey). The breakfast was amazing and there was so much of it! I ordered 4 cooked breakfasts and 4 continental breakfasts. Only issue was no butter or jams to go with the croissants.

Checkout was quick and painless although the burger hadn't been removed from the bill, so I had to ask again.

Fantastic place to stay and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of January/ beginning of February as part of a Groupon deal and would have been so disappointed had we paid full price.
We upgraded to a superior room which meant we got a clean room with not much else! The bed was awful and the shower pitiful. We went into Winchester the next morning and after being out all day returned to a freezing room as the patio doors had been left open all day. Luckily nothing had been taken from our room but when we reported it to reception staff there didn't seem surprised.
The best thing was the breakfast. For the price we paid it was adequate but we won't be returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I booked four rooms for my family to celebrate my sons second birthday. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful and polite, even finding a swim nappy for my son as I forgot to pack one. The bar staff also provided warm milk for my son at bedtime. The family rooms were clean and spacious, and my mums double room was huge. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vanessakellie
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here at the end of January. Booked this through Groupon with Marwell Zoo tickets included. The tickets for the zoo were waiting for us upon arrival - zoo tickets valid for a year by the way, in case bad waether stops you visiting. Excellent value and the staff are very helpfull. Breakfast was very good indeed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple