“Ok.”
Review of Marwell Hotel

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Not a bad hotel, but no air con. Instead they have the heating on. Staff are friendly and happy to help. The bar staff were excellent. Breakfast is not very nice and a bit of a strange affair. Some bits to order and some out, although maybe cold or under cooked. A little pricey for what you get but overall I would re visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarwellHotel, Manager at Marwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Gazzell,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear how friendly and helpful our staff were during your stay – a high level of customer service is extremely important to us.

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with breakfast, especially as we normally receive excellent feedback regarding our breakfasts. We do have items that are cooked freshly to order, such as eggs, with the intention of providing our guests with a better dining experience so we are sorry to hear that this was not achieved on this occasion. Our Chef is currently reviewing our breakfast offering so your feedback is appreciated.

We do have eight bedrooms fitted with air conditioning so please do feel free to request these on your next stay with us as we would like you to have a comfortable stay with us. We are surprised to hear that the heating was on during your stay as we have turned off the heating during this hot weather. We will ask our maintenance team to investigate this.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you to Marwell Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My room, 219, was relatively small for a triple, with little free space, but along with the rest of the hotel, had a good safari feel to it. The bathroom was very small, with insufficient lighting and towel racks, and low water pressure in the shower. Everything else about the hotel was exemplary, particularly the service. I was practising my speech alone in the garden on a hot morning when, totally unasked, a member of the staff came out and offered me a glass of iced water and lemon. The self-service breakfast was as generous and varied as one could wish. The cuisine at other meals is a reasonable attempt at 'fine dining'; not yet stunning.

Room Tip: I only occupied one room so I have no idea how it compared with others. From the outside, they all...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Michael N,

Thank you for review regarding your recent stay with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with us and it was a pleasure to welcome your group to Marwell for this special occasion.

It is wonderful to read your comments regarding the service at the hotel as this is an aspect we are particularly passionate about.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and dining experiences. We are constantly improving our menus and we are sure that when you next come to stay, you will be extremely impressed by how our menu has progressed.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to Marwell Hotel soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Marwell Hotel is very slightly off the beaten track for commuters being about 20 minutes from the M3 but it is ideally suited to the wildlife park (being on the same site).
The hotel is loosely themed as an African Lodge, and the parkland setting helps give that impression from the outset, as does the wooden cladding and large open reception area.
The bedrooms and function rooms are situated in blocks linked by wood and glass corridors.
The bedrooms themselves (or at least the one I stayed in) are clean and nothing is broken, but are looking a little tired. The fixtures and fittings are a bit old and give a slightly cheap feel (but then I had a family room with double bed and bunks for approx £80 so cannot complain)

I was only there for one night and arrived early evening in July during the warmest days of the year, and the hotel was pretty warm. My room didn't have air conditioning and neither did the restaurant or bar area.

The restaurant was the surprise for me - the menu is one of those overtly simple things which says things like "Pig" as the choice, then describes it by saying "cheek, belly etc" but then adds something like "walnut powder" or "beetroot foam" etc.
I chose the goats cheese and asparagus starter followed by herb crusted plaice with cauliflower puree (and chunky chips as a side dish, because I'm naughty like that).
It was all beautifully presented and tasted as good as it looked - the fish was slightly underdone for my taste and slightly cool. I mentioned that to the waiter who was massively apologetic, relayed the information to the chef and offered a number of means of recompense (free desert etc). I looked around the restaurant several times and noted everyone else was enjoying their food so I regard the fish as a one off. Indeed, if I lived closer I may well visit just to dine in the restaurant.
Would I stay in the hotel again? yes, if I were visiting the wildlife park, unlikely otherwise as it's a little far from elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your review.

Marwell Hotel is a popular choice for business travellers seeking out a peaceful and unique hotel with close proximity to the M27, M3 and Southampton Airport. The hotel is a quiet respite after a busy day on the road and we take pleasure in welcoming many regular corporate guests to Marwell. We do offer corporate rates to those that use us on a regular basis.

We are currently undergoing a bedroom refurbishment and appreciate your comments regarding your bedroom requiring an update (we recommend you book one of our executive bedrooms for your next stay with us so that you may see the impressive direction we are heading in). We also have eight bedrooms with air conditioning so please feel free to request these on your next stay (at no extra charge).

We are delighted by your comments regarding your dining experience at the hotel. As you will see from other reviews on Trip Advisor, we receive fantastic feedback regarding our food and it is something we are all extremely passionate about at Marwell. We hope that you will visit again soon so that you may see our food offering going from strength to strength, which we can assure you it will 

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you to Marwell again soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed for one night on route elsewhere. I rated this average because it was let down by the standard of room. Our room felt a bit tired and dated. Some decoration and refurbishment would be needed to score this hotel higher. However, the safari theme gives it more appeal and character than most modern hotels. The staff were very friendly, helpful and the breakfast was certainly above average. We also made use of the pool for an early morning swim.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear spgk,

Thank you for your review.

Thank you for your comments regarding your bedroom. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment process in our bedrooms and appreciate your comments. We recommend you book one of our executive bedrooms for your next stay with us and they will show you the exciting direction that we are headed in.

We agree with you that our hotel is extremely unique and offers a lot more character and appeal than other hotels – this is something we are very proud of.

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff – this is wonderful to read.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to Marwell soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked the Marwell hotel as it was a stones-throw from a family gathering we were attending and the fact that it was in close proximity to Marwell zoo certainly appealed to my animal loving husband and myself. Sadly though, the hotel failed to live up to expectation on all fronts.

The hotel itself is actually situated directly opposite the entrance to the zoo, within the grounds and is built in a somewhat colonial style so could really capitalise on the link so much more. The entire hotel is, at best, faded and at worst, plain shabby. The glass walkways linking the different accommodation wings look out on the hotel grounds which are covered in grass and nothing more. The layout is very reminiscent of a Butlins style holiday camp. Our room was fairly large but had no view whatsoever - however, as we were only staying for 1 night - that didn't really matter. The bed was comfortable and the room had all of the usual facilities. The electrics however seemed extremely dodgy - so much so that my hairdryer refused to work! The bathroom was tiny and VERY dated. The shower was over the bath which, in itself, is fine, however the shower curtain stopped about an inch above the top of the bath meaning it was impossible to shower without drenching the bathroom floor. The shower head was extremely clogged up with limescale so having a decent shower was pretty difficult. We didn't try any of the pool facilities during our stay although the area looked fairly pleasant. There was a wedding in full swing during our stay although this didn't affect us at all. We did have a couple of drinks in the bar on Saturday night and I was amazed at the relatively poor choice of draught beers and the sheer expense was staggering. £10 for a single G&T (with Gordons) and a bottle of Stella Cidre is simply ridiculous. The one area which REALLY let the place down was the breakfast. I gather that weddings are a relatively common occurrence there so the hotel and staff should be able to cope with a large breakfast sitting but they're just not! You are asked to wait to be seated which is pretty standard at most hotels, however there was no one around to show you where to sit. In the end, we and several other couples decided to flag someone down and were duly showed to a table outside in the garden area. We were asked what hot drink we would like and were told that toast would come out directly with the drinks. Whilst waiting, we took advantage of the usual buffet style breakfast. The only cooked choices were watery scrambled egg, flabby bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and sausages which managed to look both raw and overcooked at the same time. I opted for sausage and bacon and asked a passing waitress for a couple of fried eggs as I can't stand pale, watery scrambled egg which is obviously made from powdered egg!! We headed back to the table to see that the tea, coffee and toast still hadn't arrived. 5 minutes later, the eggs arrived but still no tea, coffee or toast. The eggs were lovely and the bacon was ok, however both my hubby and I felt that the sausages tasted a bit "odd" so decided to leave them. TEN MINUTES after finishing breakfast (so almost 30 mins since ordering) and we still hadn't had the tea, coffee and toast so I went to find someone who tried to brush it off and say that the drinks are made in turn so it wasn't our turn yet?! Eventually the drinks did arrive although they probably weren't really worth the wait. I have a feeling that even if I had left the tea brewing for 24 hours it would still be weak and insipid! The toast thankfully was better than most hotels manage!!!

We did voice our concerns to a helpful lady on reception when we checked out. She seemed to understand our grievances only too well as she handed us a discount card for 5% off our next stay!?!

The only other thing which surprised me was that there isn't a preferential rate on admission to Marwell zoo for guests staying at the hotel?!

The hotel location was, for us, perfect but next time I would definitely look further afield.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarwellHotel, Manager at Marwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Kazzy76,

Thank you for your comments, it is a great shame we were unable to live up to your expectations and that you had a less than satisfying stay.

We are very lucky to have a top attraction on our doorstep such as Marwell Wildlife and such lovely surroundings; it is disappointing to hear that you did not appreciate our woodlands and natural beauty. We decided our glass corridors would be the perfect opportunity to highlight our woodlands throughout the different seasons. All our bedrooms do benefit from a balcony and a view onto our woodlands.

We have reported your comments regarding the electrics with our maintenance manager who has investigated the issues. Please be assured that we are also in the process of renovating our bedrooms as well as other areas of the hotel.

We are sorry to hear that you felt our prices were expensive – our rates are competitive with other local hotels and restaurants, so we are surprised by your comments. We have passed your comments onto our management team regarding the beer selection which will be considered in the development of our bar menu.

We are disappointed to hear your breakfast was less than satisfying – we usually receive great comments about this dining element. We have recently welcomed a new executive chef to our team who is passionate in delivering local produce in delicious dishes. Your comments have also been passed across to our food and beverage management regarding the poor service you received and we apologise for this.

Marwell Wildlife is a registered charity and a separate company to us and therefore, we are unable to offer discounted rates.

Many thanks again, we do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in Marwell Hotel and visit us in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at Marwell Hotel for a wedding. The setting and room for the wedding was really lovely and a well organised day. The room was comfortable, apart from the sun shining through the underneath of the curtain on the shorter window and we experienced a fire alarm going off twice throughout the night with no explanation as to why this was and no apology. I was also surprised to learn that upon checking in, I had to settle my account there and then, again with no explanation of why, I always thought you settled on departure. The Duty Manager was very helpful and attended to our requests promptly. Breakfast was very disappointing, we went down for breakfast at around 10:30am, and everything was cold and had been sat around for far too long and you have to order beans with the waiter!. The only good thing about breakfast was the range of juices and that the toast was hot.

I have stayed at Marwell Hotel previously and enjoyed my stay, this stay only let us down due to breakfast but all in all is a nice hotel to stay at.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MarwellHotel, Manager at Marwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Samlb80,

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad to hear your stay was enjoyable but it was a shame a couple of factors let your expectations down.

It is pleasing to hear the wedding was enjoyed and the service was efficient and professional.

Please accept our apologies for the fire alarm sounding; unfortunately this was out of our control but you certainly should have been offered an explanation on check-out, so we do apologise that this was not the case.

We are glad our duty manager was helpful throughout your stay.

We are sorry to hear breakfast was disappointing – our breakfast usually receives positive comments, so it is a pity this is not the case on this occasion. Your comments have been passed onto our executive chef to investigate.

We do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in Marwell Hotel and return back to us in the near future.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a lovely stay, with 14 of us in total over 7 rooms. They were all fine for what we needed. Some of us enjoyed a swim on arrival.

Hotel is very warm considering it wasn't so hot outside, but we did have a fan that we used.

Staff were helpful to us and let us sit and relax without too much trouble.

Room Tip: There seems to be a lot of weddings at the hotel, so maybe ask for a room that won't be disturbe...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liza M

Dear Liza M,

Thank you for your feedback, it is pleasing to hear your group had a lovely stay and all the bedrooms were suitable for your stay.

We are glad you were able to enjoy our facilities including our leisure club. It is a great area for our guests to relax.

We are sorry you felt the hotel was too warm – we do have measures in place around the hotel to cool areas but with the very warm weather recently we have struggled to keep all areas air conditioned.

It is a pleasure to hear that our staff were helpful throughout your stay – all of our staff ensure our guests are welcomed and receive a high standard of customer service.

Many thanks again Liza, and we hope to welcome you back to Marwell Hotel for another occasion in the near future.