“Disappointed”
Review of The Wykeham Arms

The Wykeham Arms
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Looked on web for somewhere to have a birthday lunch and saw that the Wykeham Arms was "family friendly". What a joke!! The barmaid watched us collapse a double buggy, remove two young children from it, take all our coats off (it was tipping it down outside) and walk through to the restaurant and the told us

"we don't accept children under 14 years old!"

I explained that the website I had reviewed said it was "child friendly" which is why I chose it but she said only over 14 years. Should it not read "teenager friendly" then?? If you want my honest opinion, the manageress took one look at the children and thought "lets make up some new rule"

Ruined my birthday!! But the "Slug and Lettuce" turned it all around and were amazing, I am glad now that the lady in the Wykeham arms was so grumpy!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Tenaci0usD

Reviewed 20 May 2008

A lovely English pub, with wonderful rooms and a great breakfast. The food in the restaurant was very good too, however we felt both the hotel and restaurant were expensive. Winchester is a lovely English town and the hotel is in a good location, the only issue could be parking - if you don't get a spot inside, its almost impossible to find a spot outside!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 May 2008

My wife and I went ot Winchester to see the cathedral and stayed at the Wykeham Arms for a night following a lengthy (4 hour) drive.

On the plus side this is a very quirky, interesting and character full pub. Its accomodation (we stayed in the rooms opposite the pub), was very good. A 'superior double', the room was an excellant size, and very comfortable. The pub itself served a good range of beers from Fullers (plus a guest HSB by Gales, that was also excellant). plus an strong and extensive wine list. The breakfast was superb, all ingrediants of the highest order and well presented.

Things to however watch out for though:

The car parking is best described as 'interesting', but as the hotel insist you leave your keys, and allowed us to park well before check in time this is not a major issue, though a perminant car parking officer is almost required ! Basically once your car is in, walk every where - its only 2 mins to the cathedral and shops. More fundimentally we also ate in the pub in the evening. The food was good quality no doubt, but its expensive, expecially when you bear in mind that even on a Thursday night, and having booked a table 3 weeks in advance, we still ended up in the bar area, where it was very noisy for most of or meal, and for which £23 for a steak (etc) seemed a little excessive. But that above aside its a nice and relaxing place to stay, and as long as you are happy to accept you pay for it, its a good place to stay, and we would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2008

I can see why people like it there - the pub is fantastic - Friday evening buzz of locals and tourists, log fires, friendly staff, and all tucked away close to the city centre. Our room was also fab - the four-poster Nelson room above the bar. We enjoyed simply sitting in bed looking at the room! (Perhaps that's a bit sad, but it had an elegance and comfort that we enjoyed.) The bathroom was good too. But it's directly above the bar and despite sleeping through the sound of people, the front door bangs all evening and part of the night, then starts again early, and the sound vibrates through the room - earplugs were no defence.

The wine was good, and the beer. The food was mixed - an excellent starter of vegetarian timbale with goat's cheese - the flavours worked well. Then a dull salmon steak with supposedly crab encrustations - I couldn't tell, and the whole things was a bit dry, on a bed of undercooked greenery - I like my veg al dente but not as near raw as these were. My husband's steak was overcooked. Excellent cheese though. We also ate at the Old Vine and that was as good as the Wykeham.

Would we go back? No. We will return to Winchester, which is a fab weekend destination, but we'll pick a B&B at half the price where we can talk to the owner in advance about noise (and yes, I did ask the Wykeman Arms about noise and was told it would be ok). Then we can go for a drink at the Wykeham Arms, a meal at one of the many good places in town, and a decent night's sleep (though nowhere woudl have bedding as conmfortable as at the Wykeham - that's a lesson to all hotels).

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Candyjo
Reviewed 12 November 2007

We stayed two nights at the Wykeham Arms & it was exactly what I was hoping for - cosy accommodation, great food & great beer! Our room was a few steps across the cobbled street from the pub & through a small blue door into the Annexe. The stairs were admittedly a bit tight & problematic with luggage but it's an old building & that's the way it was made! The room was very comfortable, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom was fine albeit a little tired, but was v clean. The Mini-bar was a revelation - none of those outrageous prices you pay in most hotels.

We ate at the pub on the first night - it was very busy & is obvioulsy a popular eatery with locals alike, however, the food arrived quickly & was excellent! It was not your usual pub food, for example I had pigeon & Black Pudding to start (lunchtimes the more traditional English fare) & so you pay restaurant prices in the evening, but the food was excellent & so well worth it. There is also an enormous selection of wine available, however what did it for me was the real ale - the HSB was great! The only critisism I would have of the pub is that because it is so popular for food it was packed both nights we were there & it was difficult to find somehwere just to sit & have a drink.

Location wise, the Wykeham is placed ideally for shopping, the Cathederal is right next door, a french style cinema just up the road & you can walk along the river just at the end of the next street. Walking pretty much anywhere in Winchester is easy from the Wykeham.

Overall therefore I must say I really enjoyed my stay at the Wykeham Arms - something much different to staying in a hotel, for me these were far more charming & relaxing lodgings.

Oh yes I nearly forgot the breakfast - the breakfast room is delightful - we sat by the window overlooking the bespoke mini market on the other side of the street & the street in the morning was a bustle with the students carrying their books to the College. The porridge was ideal for a cold morning, followed by Bacon & Black pudding (yes again) & the best poached eggs I've ever had while staying anywhwere!

Highly recommended - I will definately return.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Babzi
Reviewed 3 October 2007

Had a lovely trip here.Stayed in one of the newer rooms opposite the pub which was nice and quiet but getting the luggage up all the stairs was a bit of a struggle but I am sure the staff would have helped if asked.It was nicely equipped and decorated.The bar is very quirky and enjoyed having a few drinks here before dining in the restaurant.The food was excellent.The car park was interesting but at least it has one.We didn't need to use our car during our stay as there is so much to do here.We loved being so close to the beautiful Cathedral and enjoyed a lovely concert there one evening.Look forward to returning here.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank DundeeDelia
Reviewed 4 December 2006

This pub, as someone else on here said, is all English pubs should be like, but few nowadays are. It is ideal for foreign visitors who hope to have an authentic English experience. The rooms are split between over the bar and across the road; we had a room just above the bar. The room was perfect with a welcoming bear to greet us! It had a settee positioned nicely to relax and view the TV – which we did, snuggled up with hot chocolate and tea with real milk, provided in the mini bar. We had stayed in rather inferior accommodation in Bath the previous 2 nights and this was luxury! The bed was the best I have ever slept in beside my own.. lovely soft pillows, a duvet with crisp linen and a wonderful mattress.

On arrival we had lunch – doorstep hot turkey sarni’s – which were great. The beer is kept well and my husband was VERY pleased with the HSB. We had booked for dinner and weren’t disappointed – the food is excellent. Yes our room was a little noisy until the pub closed, but it didn't stop us sleeping like logs. The full English breakfast was the best I have had anywhere! Perfect poached eggs and great sausage. Staff were mostly pleasant and helpful. All in all, whilst not inexpensive, a great place stay.

The location was great, it was full of local people who came in for lunch and later people met for a drink after work and the place was buzzing.. a pub with reputation and character – I fully recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple