“Boking a room”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Liss, United Kingdom
“Boking a room”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently tried to book their function room for a three day art exhibition. The manager that I spoke to quoted me a price and told me that he would confirm this by email. Two days later when I got the email the price had doubled. When I questioned this and his competence, I got an email from the manager rather suggesting that it was my mistake, no apology. Standing up for your staff is one thing, supporting incompetence in them and suggesting that it’s the customers fault is arrogant and a very poor attitude.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 124Paul2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had our wedding at the Hotel Du Vin in early June and it was a fabulous day from start to finish! Despite heavy rain and thunderstorms in the morning the weather cleared and we had a gloriously warm day and a balmy evening. The wedding service was wonderful in the Ruinart Room and the staff ensured that everything ran smoothly, assisting in any way they could. This was followed by a Pimms reception in Bar 20 and then a sumptuous wedding breakfast.

All of the staff at the hotel were brilliant and could not have done more to make our day so special. Throughout our stay they were attentive and hard working and many of our guests remarked on how professional they were.

At the evening reception, guests were greeted by a magnificent looking courtyard, friendly staff, excellent canapés and wine.

We cannot fault the Hotel Du Vin, they did everything superbly from the initial planning right through to the end.

We all have wonderful memories, thank you!!

Chris & Alexandra

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRJ19
Brighton
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this HdV having uses a few others around the country. Winchester is a beautiful place, particularly in winter. Despite being under the weather myself, HdV felt like home from home. You know what you're going to get and I was really pleased. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed December 2013
James A, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for leaving us feedback on your recent stay here at Hotel du Vin. We look forward to your return.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner treated me for a weekend away in Winchester and he really could not have chosen a more perfect hotel to stay in.The staff at the front of house were extremely welcoming and ensured we were well looked after throughout our stay.

The room we stayed in was beautifully presented and of the highest quality and standard. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I loved the decor of the main room and bathroom suit; classic and elegant.

We ate in the main restaurant for our evening meal, which was delicious. They had a lovely range of different dishes, making it very difficult to choose!
They were also very good at accommodating for my gluten allergy, which I have often found to be a problem when dining out. The staff were great in informing me of the ingredients in the individual dishes and offering adaptations and alternatives.
The staff were friendly and attentive throughout the meal, making it such a lovely experience. I would like to say a huge thank you to Thomas who was especially helpful and made us feel very well looked after during the evening.

After our meal we sat outside in the beautifully ambient courtyard for cocktails, which I have to say is one of my highlights. A fantastic end to a wonderful day.
Thank you!

1 Thank Spenc12
Thank you for reviewing your recent experience here at Hotel du Vin.

We're delighted to hear the front of house team looked after you consistently throughout your stay. With all dishes on our menu cooked fresh to order, we feel confident we can always offer alternatives for allergies and/or dietary requirements where necessary, and am delighted to hear this was made easy for you during your visit to our Bistro.

Glad to hear you joined us for a cocktail in our newly refurbished courtyard area too, enhanced by one of our specialty cocktails!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner and I spent the weekend at the Winchester HdV in July. Before we were due to arrive I emailed the hotel to mention that my partner was gluten free. James, the manager, emailed us straight back and mentioned he would buy in the necessary food.

We arrived at the hotel and were given a very warm welcome. We went to the gorgeous garden for a drink where we were met by James. He knew who we were and double checked our plans to ensure everything was as it should be.

Dinner was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. With the recent muggy nights it was great to have air conditioning in the rooms. The following morning James was there again to oversee breakfast which was another treat.

All in all a terrific visit with a demonstration of how to deliver service perfection.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank your for your review on your most recent stay with us.

Flexibility with our guests' needs & is key to making us unique as a hotel, and I'm delighted to hear that our prompt response to your dietary requests helped shape what appears to be an important aspect of your choice of hotel.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding service & quality throughout your stay with us. We do hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

..went for a birthday breakfast, the food was too scrummy for words, but the whole experience was let down by the unfriendly and inattentive service. Shame for a place of this quality and price, - they need to take a trip to Lainston House for some basic front of house lessons.

1 Thank Andyinwinchester
Thank you for your honest account of your recent visit to us here at Hotel du Vin.

While pleasing to hear that our breakfast offering exceeded expectations, we thoroughly appreciate your feedback regarding the service you received. we are committed to ensuring our Bistro is staffed by knowledgeable & enthusiastic team members, and will utilise your feedback to further supporting training in this area.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and some friends went to the beautiful courtyard for a couple of drinks after work. The setting was beautiful, what was worrying was the cocktail waiter.... it seemed as though he was on some kind of speed drugs and was very over active and to in peoples faces, sweating and looking not quite with it!!!

It made us uncomfortable enough to leave I am afraid!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends