“Great location and stay”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Portsmouth
“Great location and stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I think you know what your getting with hotel du vin. A good night stay, good breakfast and usually great locations. My first stay in the Winchester branch and it was very good. Service as usual friendly and welcoming. We did wait quite a while for coffee. Overall though very good and the bed was really comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014
James A, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
We're delighted to hear that your recent stay with us here at Winchester was consistent with the service & offering you have experienced in our other hotels.

Please accept our apologies too for your wait for hot beverages during your stay. I have passed your comments on to our team to ensure this aspect of our service is improved upon.

We look forward to your return to us here at Winchester soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A perfect choice of venue for celebrating a special birthday. The food was excellent but the service surpassed anything we had ever experienced before. The staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble. A special mention to Thomas who took his time to explain the dishes to us and his manner and attitude was exemplary. We will certainly be recommending the Bistro to all of our friends. The Bistro was completely full when we arrived but there was no deterioration in the quality of service and Thomas even took time to explain that certain dishes would take a little longer to present. Well done everyone and thank you for such a special evening.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
James A, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for the 5 star review you have given about your recent visit celebrating a special birthday.

It was so pleasing to read that you enjoyed the food, but most of all that the service you recieved was the best you have experienced. Thomas was very pleased that he made you feel so welcome and was able to make your evening a special one.

We very much look forward to welcoming you and friends back to Hotel du Vin & Bistro very soon

Kind regards

Neil
Hotel Manager
Liss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently tried to book their function room for a three day art exhibition. The manager that I spoke to quoted me a price and told me that he would confirm this by email. Two days later when I got the email the price had doubled. When I questioned this and his competence, I got an email from the manager rather suggesting that it was my mistake, no apology. Standing up for your staff is one thing, supporting incompetence in them and suggesting that it’s the customers fault is arrogant and a very poor attitude.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 124Paul2014
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had our wedding at the Hotel Du Vin in early June and it was a fabulous day from start to finish! Despite heavy rain and thunderstorms in the morning the weather cleared and we had a gloriously warm day and a balmy evening. The wedding service was wonderful in the Ruinart Room and the staff ensured that everything ran smoothly, assisting in any way they could. This was followed by a Pimms reception in Bar 20 and then a sumptuous wedding breakfast.

All of the staff at the hotel were brilliant and could not have done more to make our day so special. Throughout our stay they were attentive and hard working and many of our guests remarked on how professional they were.

At the evening reception, guests were greeted by a magnificent looking courtyard, friendly staff, excellent canapés and wine.

We cannot fault the Hotel Du Vin, they did everything superbly from the initial planning right through to the end.

We all have wonderful memories, thank you!!

Chris & Alexandra

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRJ19
Brighton
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this HdV having uses a few others around the country. Winchester is a beautiful place, particularly in winter. Despite being under the weather myself, HdV felt like home from home. You know what you're going to get and I was really pleased. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed December 2013
James A, Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for leaving us feedback on your recent stay here at Hotel du Vin. We look forward to your return.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner treated me for a weekend away in Winchester and he really could not have chosen a more perfect hotel to stay in.The staff at the front of house were extremely welcoming and ensured we were well looked after throughout our stay.

The room we stayed in was beautifully presented and of the highest quality and standard. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I loved the decor of the main room and bathroom suit; classic and elegant.

We ate in the main restaurant for our evening meal, which was delicious. They had a lovely range of different dishes, making it very difficult to choose!
They were also very good at accommodating for my gluten allergy, which I have often found to be a problem when dining out. The staff were great in informing me of the ingredients in the individual dishes and offering adaptations and alternatives.
The staff were friendly and attentive throughout the meal, making it such a lovely experience. I would like to say a huge thank you to Thomas who was especially helpful and made us feel very well looked after during the evening.

After our meal we sat outside in the beautifully ambient courtyard for cocktails, which I have to say is one of my highlights. A fantastic end to a wonderful day.
Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spenc12
Thank you for reviewing your recent experience here at Hotel du Vin.

We're delighted to hear the front of house team looked after you consistently throughout your stay. With all dishes on our menu cooked fresh to order, we feel confident we can always offer alternatives for allergies and/or dietary requirements where necessary, and am delighted to hear this was made easy for you during your visit to our Bistro.

Glad to hear you joined us for a cocktail in our newly refurbished courtyard area too, enhanced by one of our specialty cocktails!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner and I spent the weekend at the Winchester HdV in July. Before we were due to arrive I emailed the hotel to mention that my partner was gluten free. James, the manager, emailed us straight back and mentioned he would buy in the necessary food.

We arrived at the hotel and were given a very warm welcome. We went to the gorgeous garden for a drink where we were met by James. He knew who we were and double checked our plans to ensure everything was as it should be.

Dinner was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. With the recent muggy nights it was great to have air conditioning in the rooms. The following morning James was there again to oversee breakfast which was another treat.

All in all a terrific visit with a demonstration of how to deliver service perfection.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank your for your review on your most recent stay with us.

Flexibility with our guests' needs & is key to making us unique as a hotel, and I'm delighted to hear that our prompt response to your dietary requests helped shape what appears to be an important aspect of your choice of hotel.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding service & quality throughout your stay with us. We do hope you will return soon.