“Great Beer - Terrible Food!”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #91 of 214 Restaurants in Winchester
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional English pub serving a broad range of classic British dishes, burgers, steaks and sandwiches popular with young and old. Food is served till 9pm everyday. We open from 11am everyday serving food drinks and coffee. The bar stays open till 11pm through the week and midnight Thurs-Sat. Come visit the oldest Bar in England
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Nice pub, friendly staff, excellent choice for ales.
Waited nearly an hour for a couple of sandwiches. By the time they arrived we were too hungry to send them back - which is what they deserved frankly! Bread hadn't been buttered, fillings on the light side and garnish - a few tiny off cuts of lettuce and the inside only from an eighth of a tomato. Should have gone to Subway!
However - great location (if you're not eating) with a fab sun terrace

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Looked for a place to,eat on he hurry up. Couldn't be bothered with normal high st resturants .
What a nice find my wife had the burger and chips with fries coleslaw and tomato relish and a glass of wine , I went for the beef an ale pie with mashed potatoes, peas and gravy and a pint plus onion rings for £22 . Food was really nice my wife couldn't find hers, I could have done with more mash but the portion of well filled pie made up for that with thick beefy gravy.
Staff were very pleasant , would definitely go back next time I am here good menu good prices

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I used to live in Winchester, and regularly visited the Royal Oak on Saturdays with my best mate. We both worked in hospitality, and went for the craic, as we'd never experiences worse service or food. It was a sort of morbid curiosity and hilarity on our part, that they got away with it and remained so busy. It was sort of our car crash pub. We met in winchester for the first time in a decade, this week, and popped in to see if anything had changed. E were delighted to find it hadn't. The girl behind the Barajas exceptionally rude, barely even acknowledging us save to serve our soft drinks. We stayed long enough to drink them, still amused, still appalled.

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Used to eat here all the time working in Winchester, passing thru I stopped in and the menu seemed ok. Turns out the staff are the one redeeming feature, food bland, And good luck asking for more gravy (I think I had a teaspoonful on my bangers and mash with gravy!) waited and waited but none came!

Wouldn't rush back here, certainly not at higher than ave pub prices!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is my second visit, and second review, but after the first time I think it was only right to do so. After being in Winchester again, we stopped for lunch with a little apprehension and we were pleasantly surprised.
This time, the food was so much better then the first visit. Less of the microwave food and more home-cooked fare. It came in good time and provided a good experience all around.
Only two problem areas, first, the female staff member behind the bar was awful. Brusque and unsmiling which to me are two no-no's in the services industry - being young is not an excuse. It was not as though it was that busy that she couldn't spare a smile or a "hello". Small detail I know but things like that can improve a visit.
Second point, although they have highchairs, there are no changing facilities for babies. We were actually advised to use the Men's toilet as this had more space - which actually translates as more "floor" space - which is exactly what you need when you need to change a nappy.